PDA

View Full Version : Emag batt not charging

bratch
02-20-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm running a remote battery on my Emag using 2 pronged male/female ends as my hook ups. I have a Radio Shack wall charger to charge. The battery has recently quit charging no matter how long it is left on the charger it will not take but a very minute charge. After 18 hours it only had enough of a charge to light the LED for a few minutes and would not fire the gun. I assume the hook ups are good because it will light up the LED just doesn't have any juice. Charger is good checked today and is putting out 12.25V. Is there any way to check my battery to see if it is good before ordering a new one? Also should I expect batteries going bad because of my set up?

Butterfingers
02-20-2002, 10:20 PM
The charger should put out over 20 volts at the terminals. If it is lower than the charge on the battary it won't charge the battery. Your battary will be charging the wall.

The e-mag battery should output over 18 volts fully charged. The e-mag will stop working at around 14 volts.

bratch
02-20-2002, 10:30 PM
This is what I assumed also only the car charger just has 12V also unless it bumps the voltage up inside the charger. Atleast I believe it does.

bratch
02-20-2002, 10:36 PM
A little extra info. It is RS charger# 273-1662; 12V 300mA. The one Bill from Warpig recommended in his article.

billmi
02-21-2002, 07:18 AM
RS#273-1662 is not a battery charger, it is a transformer.

The E-Mag ships with a battery charger (small black box with charge indicator LED) and a power cord with a cigarette lighter connection to supply the charger with 12V DC.

It sounds like you aren't using the battery charger and are instead hooking your battery straight to the transformer.

That sounds like the source of the problem.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

bratch
02-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Your right I have been hooking it straight in. Now to figure a way out to charge it with the stock charger.