PDA

View Full Version : Radios

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 02:42 PM
so I'm in talks with the horde commanders about how to communicate on the field and we are working on a system.

Basicly the horde command will have a command channel open that will include the legion commanders and a few choice team leaders. Theyve already thrown talk my way about the sheer number of people we are going to have there and how to coordinate it. Idealy they want 2-3 of us linked into the command channel and then those 2-3 people to have a seperate walkie for team communication to keep command channel clutter down.

this has yet to be said but I'm assuming they want us to provide our own walkies:confused:

So I do plan on investing in 2 radios that have the ability to be incrypted as the command channel will be incrypted. if we choose to not incypt our team channel then I'll just loan the other radio to someone else for the game and borrow someones spare for the team channel.

thoughts and disscussion

skipdogg
11-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Having 2 walkies to carry around is a pain for someone. And yes, they expect you to have your own walkie talkies. The best method may be for us to have our own for the AO army, and whenever someone goes back to base after being shot, they check in with the command bunker. Once doing that, the dead but soon to be reinserted person can relay plans to the group. Chances are every 5-10 minutes one of us is going to be shot out, so their should be a steady flow of dead able to check in personally with command at the reinsertion. Is my suggestion....

Or we can 'wing it' and devolve into random, mostly individual acts. Which is what seems to happen 95% of the time...

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
yea it happens alot. I just want us to be a concentrated force more often then not.

BigEvil
11-06-2013, 03:32 PM
yea it happens alot. I just want us to be a concentrated force more often then not.

Zac - let's figure out if we can get 2 or three experienced people to lead us. Any ideas? (don't say me I will be too drunk and paying attention the naked HK chicks)

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Tom... Bud... lol

OPBN
11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Or we can 'wing it' and devolve into random, mostly individual acts. Which is what seems to happen 95% of the time...

Can we make this a poll? I've had little success using radios.

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
i'm pretty set on at least 6-10 of us with radios

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
You know, even more of a simple Idea. I'll just leave one of our radios at command labeled AO Army. I mean, who do you call when the going's strange? who ever is with BigEvil

skipdogg
11-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Most of my guys usually have radios. However, I say mostly inappropriate things into it, so not sure how well that will go over...

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll put a caution sticker on the radio

bbotts77
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm going to try to get my radios working this year. I didn't have any luck with them last year, though.

BigEvil
11-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Most of my guys usually have radios. However, I say mostly inappropriate things into it, so not sure how well that will go over...

You think you have that problem...

Mercenario
11-06-2013, 05:52 PM
In the past our small team of 4-5 leaves a radio at the command base on our channel and the general or xo coordinates us where needed on missions. It has been very succesful.

The thing to remember here is not everyone has the same interests/expectations out of the game, for example some want to run missions while others want to mow faces.

In my poor uneducated division we divide our army into whatever the army divisions are called, platoons or regiments whatever, and it makes it easier to figure out who to send where. If the mission is to hold a spot down for x time we send a team to run the mission/guard the location and another team to mow the surrounding faces.

Just my thought, maybe something to consider, maybe I'm way off

wimag
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Most important thing is to be on the field at the skirmish when it is on. If you blow everything off all day taking photos, checking vendors, or just shooting the breeze...be on the field when your skirmish is on. We were the only squad that won both skirmishes last year on the Horde side. You wanna make an impact...take the skirmish in force and tear it up.

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 08:18 PM
The skirmishes will be held on the badlands field this time around

vintage
11-06-2013, 09:08 PM
i still think the AO Army should have its own paint color, the louder the better.

vintage
11-06-2013, 09:10 PM
i've never tried a radio headset with voice activation thru a mask but i bet it would be too much trouble.

BTAutoMag
11-06-2013, 09:27 PM
You can shoot any paint color you want at legends... As long as it's white.

Voice activation during paintball games is stupid. Your shooting activates it.

Laku
11-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Some radios can listen to two channels at time. So that would prevent the need for carrying two.

Laku
11-07-2013, 12:30 AM
i've never tried a radio headset with voice activation thru a mask but i bet it would be too much trouble.
Voice activation is bad on a game. It gets constantly activated by heavy breathing and firing your gun. Which in turn prevents all communication.

bbotts77
11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
You think you have that problem...
At least I know I won't be the only one being scolded for being inappropriate on the radios. :D

VecTor
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
The last big game I played we had a few on my team that used radios and I got this from Academy http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midland-behind-the-ear-microphones-2-pack/pid-19667?N=34985314&Ntt=midland&Ntk=All

This worked great as the push to talk button was easy to place. As far as encryption goes if you have radios with sub channel support it would be hard for someone to find your channel. Even at that just have an backup channel to switch to if someone does find it.

bbotts77
11-07-2013, 12:46 PM
So, I've been reading about radios a lot lately because I've been thinking about buying new ones. From what I've read, all FRS/GMRS radios should be able to work with each other. To me, this means that I could use a Motorola TalkAbout with someone else using a Midland radio. Anyone know for sure if this is the case? Any caveats? Do we plan on using something other than GMRS radios for LL7? I know in the past, Puxing radios were used by Horde command, to keep things private.

BTAutoMag
11-07-2013, 12:52 PM
if someone does the research and finds a less then 40$ radio that we can encrypt... im sold

skipdogg
11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
i have some basic radios and have no idea what the specs on them are. they do have sub channels though. As for having a backup channel or people finding the one we are using, I have employed a little trick the last few years....
In a stern and offical sounding voice, I tell people on 'my' channel that it is a restricted channel used by CPX and that they need to get off. Works every year so far.

wico90
11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
In the past large teams have run a dedicated radio person that has one radio to HQ and one to the troops on the field. It doesn't even have to be someone playing, in fact its a great way to get a spouse/significant other involved in the game that wouldn't otherwise play as they can worry solely about radios and not about being shot at as well. As we get into Jan/Feb and things get worked out more radios and command will be worked out more and become more clear. Like Wimag said, make sure everyone gets to their skirmish to get those points. It's a great way to impress command and get in the running for MVT or MOFO

BTAutoMag
11-07-2013, 03:18 PM
well if someone wants to bring someone to act as a carrier

XM15
11-07-2013, 04:24 PM
You need Skippdog to bring Jackson. He is the communication commad master.

c sherer
11-13-2013, 09:30 PM
I highly recommend radios by Baofeng & Puxing. They are fully programmable, high power (4K transmit) and also fully compatible with anyone using the ubiquitous FRS/GMRS radios.

StygShore
01-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Most important thing is to be on the field at the skirmish when it is on. If you blow everything off all day taking photos, checking vendors, or just shooting the breeze...be on the field when your skirmish is on. We were the only squad that won both skirmishes last year on the Horde side. You wanna make an impact...take the skirmish in force and tear it up.

what are these "Skirmishes" I keep hearing about?

BTAutoMag
01-13-2014, 06:51 AM
each team has 4 legions. every hour 2 legions are chosen to do battle to see who is better to win points for their team

StygShore
01-13-2014, 07:42 AM
each team has 4 legions. every hour 2 legions are chosen to do battle to see who is better to win points for their team

are factions called randomly or is there a set schedule?

wimag
01-13-2014, 01:18 PM
are factions called randomly or is there a set schedule?

set schedule

Justus
01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Radios. FIRST, you need to know exactly what Command is using. Are they using UHF? VHF? Proprietary encryption? Once you know, you can be instructed on what radio to get in order to talk with Command. Anything involving encryption or VHF will end up being a special radio.

Then, I would suggest anything that uses the mainstream UHF (read: FRS/GMRS) channels for the squad as a whole. Everyone can get their own radio, whether it be Motorola, Midland, Puxing, whatever. We'll have to be assigned a channel/lockout code to cut down on the chatter, so that we can functionally communicate with one another. See, our squad may be set at channel 3-7. Channel 3, lockout code 7. Anyone running on channel 3 without a lockout code will be able to hear everything broadcast on channel 3; but the lockout code filters the reception of all that chatter to just those people using that specific code. In other words, if someone wants to hear our comms, they likely can. But they're going to hear EVERYTHING on channel 3 at once if they do that, unless they get our lockout code.

Now, technically, when using the GMRS channels (and/or using a radio such as a high-wattage Puxing), the radio transmits at ~ 4 to 5 watts to increase range. This requires a FCC license. It is LARGELY unenforced, however. Using the FRS channels at normal power (roughly 1 watt) is free and legal. There's talk about nixing the license requirement for GMRS channels since so many people ignore the licensing requirements and the abused GMRS channels are built into nearly all FRS/GMRS radios now anyway, but I haven't seen that actually happen yet.

And, as for activation, PTT is a must. No voice activation.

What we did at D-Day for comms, is to have one guy dedicated to comms and carry two radios while in the field. Must be a back player obviously, as getting your comms guy shot sucks. When needed, comms brought the radios to the squad leaders and relayed messages.

Robbie
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Orrrrrr
We could skip all that technical stuff and just run our own missions!

Justus
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Except, at a big game, when you get shot out and go to the deadbox, you'll likely get split off from the group. The bulk of radio communications at a game like LL is to regroup after a deadbox flush. If you don't want to run with radios, expect to have your group scattered after the first couple rounds/flushes.

Syko89
03-25-2014, 07:06 AM
A radio is a purchase on my "to buy list" anyone have a recommendation for a model?

RT Lover
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
bump

so whats a good radio, i want something for me and my pack of guys and dont mind taking a lead spot to help coordinate if needed. im just wanting something to talk with my pack because if i cant hear the on the speedball field 6x6 lol i need something!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midl...idland&Ntk=All

this mic set up work on all radios for the most part?

bbotts77
04-24-2014, 01:37 PM
bump

so whats a good radio, i want something for me and my pack of guys and dont mind taking a lead spot to help coordinate if needed. im just wanting something to talk with my pack because if i cant hear the on the speedball field 6x6 lol i need something!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midl...idland&Ntk=All

this mic set up work on all radios for the most part?
Bad link. But I'm guessing it was supposed to be this one (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midland-behind-the-ear-microphones-2-pack/pid-19667?N=34985314&Ntt=midland&Ntk=All). That will work with Midland radios and I'm not sure which others. Different brands have different plugs and in Motorola's case, different models have different plugs.

From previous posts, it looks like we will probably be using a GMRS channel. So, any radio that supports GMRS will do just fine. I have a pair of Motorola TalkAbouts with which I am actually not very happy. I still need to test them out some more. I think I may have been trying to use them on an FRS channel instead of GMRS the last time I tried to use them. Needless to say, not being able to hear my guys less than 100 yards away was very frustrating. So, I can't really give you any recommendations on specific radios. But, if someone else does, I might be buying a new radio or set of radios.

RT Lover
04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Bad link. But I'm guessing it was supposed to be this one (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midland-behind-the-ear-microphones-2-pack/pid-19667?N=34985314&Ntt=midland&Ntk=All). That will work with Midland radios and I'm not sure which others. Different brands have different plugs and in Motorola's case, different models have different plugs.

From previous posts, it looks like we will probably be using a GMRS channel. So, any radio that supports GMRS will do just fine. I have a pair of Motorola TalkAbouts with which I am actually not very happy. I still need to test them out some more. I think I may have been trying to use them on an FRS channel instead of GMRS the last time I tried to use them. Needless to say, not being able to hear my guys less than 100 yards away was very frustrating. So, I can't really give you any recommendations on specific radios. But, if someone else does, I might be buying a new radio or set of radios.

is a head set a must? whats a FRS Radio ? great range is a must

bbotts77
04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
is a head set a must? whats a FRS Radio ? great range is a must
I would encourage the use of a headset, but it is by no means a must. It just keeps you a little more stealthy so everyone and their mothers don't hear your radio. FRS stands for Family Radio Service. Here is all the info you might want to know about it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service)

skipdogg
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
I keep my radio on a lanyard around my neck. pull it out of my jersey when i need to yell obscenities to my guys. I dont do stealth. Works for me.

RT Lover
04-25-2014, 04:58 PM
I keep my radio on a lanyard around my neck. pull it out of my jersey when i need to yell obscenities to my guys. I dont do stealth. Works for me.

Lol, so I sill b able the hear without a ear piece.......good!