PDA

View Full Version : Playing the mornig after

Jacob
02-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Any hints, tips, or smart advice on playing with a major hangover.
Only reason I ask is because I'll be turning 21 the day before a tourney. Thus no choice but to play, but also no option but to have a drink or two or twelve.
I've already decided to get my gear ready well before hand and make sure that someone else is driving up. But what else can I do. I'm just dreading getting bunkered and taking a shot right in the temple when my head is already pounding.

Bonx0007
02-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Don't drink the night before. You will just let your team down when you are puking the next morning. I drank too much one night and could not play the next day. You need your wits to play and a hangover hinders them. Drink after the tourny when you WIN!!! That is reason to celebrate.

mrhooie
02-22-2002, 12:00 AM
BAHHHH...don't be worried

suck it up - drink ginger ale before you go to bed and then the next day - it will help calm your stomach

Try and have an alcohlic drink - then a glass of water, then another drink - etc..etc.. (if you can't fool the buys with water ,drink pop (tell them it's a rye and ginger)

You get hungover because you are dehydrated..

Don't eat hot dogs the next day (ok, maybe eat only hot dogs the next day - they are easy to puke up)

Heed my words and you'll be ok

Oh ya - try not to lift anything heavy the next day (like co2 tanks and stuff :))

Butterfingers
02-22-2002, 02:16 AM
lots and lots of water, drink as much H20 as you can get your hands on before you go to sleep.

manike
02-22-2002, 05:45 AM
You will be fine :)

Put it this way everytime GZ and Avalanche come to Europe they are up till the small hours drinking and still Win.

Just drink a lot of water before you go to bed. Take some Ibuprofen as well.

Then when you wake up take a few more, have soemthing to eat if you can and drink huge amounts of water through the day.

I always used to play with a Hangover when at Uni cos tournies were on a Sunday... and well that is after Saturday night isn't it :)

Just don't drink and drive.

manike

Thordic
02-22-2002, 07:31 AM
If you have a bad hangover, take a big mug, fill it most of the way with cranberry juice, and then put a couple shots of malibu in it. Best way to kill a hangover is with more alcohol, and malibu is weak and smooth enough to do just that without causing more problems. It always worked for me when I had a hangover but needed to work/etc.

If you are unwilling to do that, drink water constantly. Always keep water on hand. You'll probably shoot most of it right through you, but make sure you keep drinking it. Then drink a whole glass before you pass out. It will help immensely.

TheTramp
02-22-2002, 10:22 AM
I find that Sports Drinks like Poweraid Gatoraid ect, cut 50/50 with water works even better then straight water. The sports drink has stuff in it that helps your body absorb the fluid faster. Cutting it limits the amound ot sugary flavor (not too good if you aren't feeling well) and still get you hydrated. You'll need it! Happy 21st!

manike
02-22-2002, 10:26 AM
TheTramp I used to think that, but I remember reading an article a while back that said most of these sport drinks were actually junk and the most important thing and the best thing to do was just to drink water...

I don't think it hurts either way really. Just get lots of rehydrating fluids into yourself :)

manike

mrhooie
02-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Better than sports drinks (they SUCK) - Pedialyte (sp)

What you give kids when they have diarreha (sp).. This makes them retain fluids lost from having the runs (proven to work, and tastes good)

drboo
02-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Two suggestions...

Go midnight of your birthday...ie your b-day is fri, tourny sat...go thurs night at 12. Then you have a whole day to recover, plus depending on how you drink, you'll have less time to damage yourself. (note, if you do it right, you'll still be drunk for much of the next day).

2nd...just keep drinking....bloody marys were invented for a reason

the JoKeR
02-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Since you know you'll be drinking your butt off, in the hours before you start drinking, drink a LOT of water. Your cells will absorb this water before the booze gets to them, meaning your cells absorb less booze. Drink as much water as you can sneak during the evening festivities as well.

govnamac
02-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Or, you could be like me and never get a hangover no matter how much you drink. All i need is a shot of whiskey and I'm up 7am the next morning without the slightest headache.

Hasty8
02-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Definately avoid headshots after a long night ofhard drinking.

Oh boy do those mommys hurt.

However, if youdrink a serious amount of water. I mean so much that you have to sleep on your back you should be fine.

Being hungover is actually, for the most part, a case of dehydration. Your liver uses up a ton of water while breaking down the liquor so you get dehydrated. Drink large quantities of water before you go to sleep and you should be fine.

Of course, there is an old trick you can use to drink just about anyone under the table. Get to the bar first and talk to the bartender. Tell him you want a rum and coke for your first drink then only cokes for every drink after that. Give him a 20 and he should remember you for life. If he doesn't find another bartender. That one ain't worth crap.

I used to bartend so trust me when I say this. Drink slowly and responsibly no matter how much your buddies push you. Three or fours shots in an hour for three to four hours could lead to a really good case of alcohol poisoning.

Drink with care.

One last thought. If I find out that you or any of yer buds drove after drinking I'm sending Vinnie, Carmine and Nunzio over to all your houses. Capice? That real serious stuff so if you know your gonna go drinking make sure you leve enough money in your pocket for a cab or a hotel room.

Please. We want you around to play paintball for many years to come.

(Gee. How much like a parent do I sound like?)

ThePatriot
02-22-2002, 04:46 PM
My mom is the same way, shes like, you can go out and party and get drunk and everything whatever. BUT IF I EVER CATCH U DRIVING DRUNK, YOU WILL NEVER SEE LIGHT AGAIN. She used to work in an ambulence and has seen some pretty gruesome alcohol related incidents.....

-§on-
02-22-2002, 04:53 PM
XspyX and I got pretty screwed up last night. XspyX was puking pretty good. I couldn't type so I dont know How I could be able to play paintball the next morning...My head is a still feels like it is floating.

TigerMan
02-22-2002, 05:49 PM
This medical lady that comes and talks to my health class about alcohol and the like said the best thing to do when you know you're going to drink is don't drink too much too quick (ie no more than 1 beer in 45 minutes) and have a glass of water after every drink. This helps keep you from getting dehydrated (as stated above by many others). Do this and you should be fine (or just not drink at all to be safe, but we know that won't happen). Heck something works for all those athletes that drink then go play the next day or same night.

manike
02-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by TigerMan
Do this and you should be fine.

And sober... :)

I'm not sure that is the point of a 21st celebration...

Just have fun, don't drive and make sure there is someone responsible to look after you if you become a bit of a mess.

manike

Jacob
02-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
You've waited this long already one more day won't kill you. :)
Now who said I waited this long. I didn't spend two months this summer in Europe without tasting some of the local er.. culture.;)
But seriously, thanks for the advice, y'all. Now I've got a couple weeks to find somewhere around here that serves John Power's Irish. Mmm dat's gud.

Restola
02-22-2002, 11:03 PM
dont go to sleep! you wont actually crash until around 4-5pm the next day at which time youll hardly be able to walk straight. as long as your team doesnt make it into the finals youll be ok :)

spawnboy
02-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Ahhh yes, the turning of 21. I don't think I had much of a bash on my 21st. Seems like i got smashed many times after that tho. Beware that x factor, it grows. Before you know it, it may get the best of you. Next thing you know you'll have done something you regret and will have to deal with for the rest of your life. Go ahead celebrate your 21st just don't get smashed. Tell all your friends you're going to put it off for a day or till the weekend (whatever). If they don't respect that then maybe they're not really good friends eh? Or maybe they have a bigger x factor than you. Everyone is different. You could talk your self in circles with some of life's choices with peoples opinions but in the end it starts and ends with you and what you want to do or not do. What's more important? Good luck!

the spawner

XspyX
02-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by -§on-
XspyX and I got pretty screwed up last night. XspyX was puking pretty good. I couldn't type so I dont know How I could be able to play paintball the next morning...My head is a still feels like it is floating.

Dude, I was feeling good, wait no, REALLY good untill I drank that Irish Creame stuff....blah

4am, man I am tired. Least I didn't have a headache! :)

alf
02-24-2002, 01:01 PM
actually, a good hangover is something to enjoy...it means that you drank hard last night...it ALSO means that the BEER GODS are not smiling on you...if you drink hard, and have a hang over, it means that you did not satisfy the BEER GODS because you did not drink enough...

sometimes, you will have a case of beers, and not have a hangover whatsoever...the BEER GODS are smiling on you...

however, the BEER GODS want their followers to be happy in life, and to continue in their worship of them...therefore, they will bestow on you ULTIMATE CALMNESS, and the ABILITY to NOT CARE if its going to hurt when you slide into the bunker...

having this hangover will make you a steadier shot, and you will have that "attitude" that says "dont mess with me"...

hangovers are our friends!

-alf

subbeh
02-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Hangovers stopped getting to me the thirty-third or so time.

I'm lucky...

used to get 'em really bad though.

subbeh
02-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by pumpamatic
Take two tylenol before you crash and drink water constantly. I heard on the news last night there's some herbal pill that's supposed to prevent hangovers. Also if you throw up most the time you don't get a hangover. Worked for me last night, for what I remember.

DO NOT take tylenol with alcohol... VERY bad things can happen, TRUST ME.

Load SM5
02-25-2002, 07:23 AM
I've found that I don't stay with beer for too long. If I really want to tie one on I'll move onto liquors like Gin or Vodka. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM TEQUILA! That stuff can sterilize cattle. If found the best drink in the world for getting drunk is Gin and Tonic. Since over half the drink is water you don't dehydrate yourself. And stop drinking or slow down if you feel yourself get way too stupid. At that point you won't be having any more fun than you were 2 drinks ago and you'll wind up screwing up your night somehow.

wyn1370
02-25-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by pumpamatic
Take two tylenol before you crash and drink water constantly. I heard on the news last night there's some herbal pill that's supposed to prevent hangovers. Also if you throw up most the time you don't get a hangover. Worked for me last night, for what I remember.
I think you're talking about chaser. Health food stores carry this or something close to it.

giblit
02-25-2002, 06:41 PM
hrm dont drink period! alcohol is dumb!