PDA

View Full Version : AGD Sydarm

Minimagyomama
02-22-2002, 10:17 AM
I would just like too know where i might be able ot get a sydarm.

97 MINIMAG
10" 32 DEGREES CARBONFIBER BARREL
12" J&J CERAMIC BARREL
SYSTEMX DROP FORWARD
AA BLICKICE REGULATOR
LAPCO T-STOCK
68ci 3000psi

Muzikman
02-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Keep an eye out on Ebay and the Classified ads on this site. You can usually run accross one. If you plan on using it thou, you might want to re-think and buy a semi pistol that accually works on CO2. If you want it just to have it, they are really cool...

Drizit
02-22-2002, 10:33 AM
i know a store around here that has one for $800 if you want to send me the coin i could pick it up for you, however i don't have that much at the moment.

Minimagyomama
02-23-2002, 08:42 AM
$800.00 DAMN!!!! thats alot of money... well thanks. i just want it to have it i have a 3357 spotmarker aand i can use.

97 MINIMAG
12" J&J CERAMIC BARREL
SYSTEMX DROP FORWARD
AA BLICKICE REGULATOR
LAPCO T-STOCK
68ci 3000psi
3357 spotmarker

omni
02-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Notice he's from Canada ... like me!

So thats somewhere around $500ish American.

Minimagyomama
02-23-2002, 08:56 AM
OK well thats not that bad...

97 MINIMAG
12" J&J CERAMIC BARREL
SYSTEMX DROP FORWARD
AA BLICKICE REGULATOR
LAPCO T-STOCK
68ci 3000psi
3357 spotmarkerhanks

DJSOLID
02-23-2002, 09:18 AM
Are Sydarms no longer manufactured? It would beat the heck out of an PT enforcer/extreme ANY day... and why are they so much money? If they don't use co2 what do they use? Blanks? Are they legal for play? What velocity do they shoot at? Does AGD have any left in the attic along with the rest of the crown points? eheh - I'm very interested in these... any info would be appreciated.

bond1313
02-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Well they do still make them, they sell them around 400. They do not sale them to the public because they make no money on them and plus they use them with there perfect circle paint. They are only sold to the police and milatary. Do a search you will find a lot more out.

Minimagyomama
02-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Well three of my best friends are cops so i dont think i would have a problem.. but what do they use? i would think it wouldn't be nitro... well please let me know..

97 MINIMAG
12" J&J CERAMIC BARREL
SYSTEMX DROP FORWARD
AA BLICKICE REGULATOR
LAPCO T-STOCK
68ci 3000psi
3357 spotmarker

OldSchoolMag
02-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Personally, I'd go with a PT Extreme. I've been looking into it, and with a little work (maybe $50-$75 worth) you can have a "miniature spyder" in your palm! It works on C02, and has a vertical adapter option!

Nothing against AGD, but I recall reading that the Sydarm was meant to be used in a manner such as "search for the bad guy, fire, take 10 minutes to consider the scenario and all the options, repeat", so it's not technically the best semi pistol, and if I remember correctly, it doesn't even take the standard paintballs!

Get a PT Extreme, spyder springs, do a little tinkering on the inside, maybe get it painted... you got yourself a nice pistol.

OSM

Drizit
02-25-2002, 10:58 AM
here's the goods
the sydearm does use co2, 12grams infact, however it is in every way that matters a small mag, thus liquid and rapid fire are a bad combo. but with a max of a 8 shot burst it's not a big deal.

some people say the velosity is hard to get up around 280 but i don't know about that fore sure.

they don't reload overly fast so it's not going to be nice to have to do under fire.

like most mags if you fire to fast it will turn into a blender.

that's the down side. the up side is that you get a mag in the palm of your hand and almost no one else will have one.

by the way i have used number 67 in the field.

on to the part where i rant about the pt extreme (if you realy want one and don't wish to be educated on the shortcomings of this marker i sugest you stop reading.)

i've been useing my pt extreme with the constant air setup with a 4oz co2 pointing forward, it looks like it was used in starwars. (12 grams are expencive and i use the gun to save money on paint) i've now put about 2 cases through mine over this summer and winter (whey is it that everyone gets scared when i tell them i put 2 cases through a pistol in one season?) now at this point the problems that are coping up are:

the latching ridge on the hammer is showing ware, and i don't know how much longer it will last, probably another 4 to 6 cases.

the sear is no longer sharp, and infact has become quite round. i think it won't even last as long as the hammer.

the o-ring on the hammer has been cut (how often to you see that happen on spyders? also why do you think they included 2 more in the parts kit?)

the ball detent is junk to begin with, it works as long as you don't holster the gun cocked and run, if you do it will still let you feed around 4 balls. once it brakes in it will feed 2 or 3 balls if you fire the gun. also the bolt has a notch cut in it for the detent, however it's not deep enough and it bends the detent over, if you store the gun with the bolt forward it destroys the detent, if you store it with the bolt back it weekens the drive spring. your best bet is to replace the detent with a spyder detent and remove the drive spring or bolt when you store the marker.

also the only part on that marker that is compatible with the spyder is the ball dentent. so if you want a new hammer or sear to replace the junk that come with the gun when you get it, guess what? you can get more junk form the company who's name is the temprature at witch water freezes. sorry no higher grade kingman parts for you. (it scares me when i have to refer to kingman's parts as being drasticaly higher quality)

moving along to the cheep body of the gun. the hole where the quick strip pin goes through the body is starting to strech form the force of the drive spring pushing on the back block with evey shot (and i'm only shooting about 175 to 215 fps how about that shot to shot consistancy) next the cheep aluminium block behind the drive spring, the one with the velosity adjuster in it, has had to be filed down where the quick strip pin holds it in, and it is starting to bend up and would have locked itself into the gun had it not been filed.

and every one knows that the best way to make a barrel is to chrome plate the inside right? now after a case of paint some of the acuracy is starting to come back as most of the chrome is gone. however that acuracy comes from knowing that it will hook to the right.

and how about that loader... as with everything else they chose to chrome plate everyting. well just add alittle sand to the mechenisem and it starts to jam all the time (even after it's been cleaned) and the clip that holds it to the gun well there's a nice idea, to bad they never tested it for "long term relyablity" i how keep the loader on the marker with zip ties as it will fly off when you are shooting without them after about 1/2 a case.

it will chop paint, even with a velosity that low.

it has a non paribolic power feed plug.

the power feed plug doesn't have a hole to put a ring in.

did you know that the way you are suposed to reload is remove the loader form the gun and put the balls in the bottem of it, rather then pull the power feed plug and just pore a speed tube in?

i plan to use mine untill it crokes and just toss it out, i'm planing to take a look at the side kick (it seems to be a mag without the reg and on/off pin.) have a look at www.paintballstuff.com they are quite a bit cheeper and look like a better addition to ones kit, however i haven't seen one up close so i can't say for sure. i can say theat the extreme is nice when you first get it but shortly after it turns itself into junk.

on the other hand it was fun bunkering a guy with an angel using it (man the look on his face whe he relised what had happend... ;) )

Demonio
03-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Let me start by saying that I just happen to own the PT Extreme, PT Enforcer, SideKick, and a Sydarm. I'm sorta a fan of the pistol I have some pump pistols but we're only discussing semi pistols here.
Anyway - My Sydarm by far is the best of the bunch. As mentioned above, it's a mag - but it's not really smaller in size except for the regulator which is specific to the sydarm. It weighs the same as my minimag with out the loader on it. I have not had any problems gettin my velocity up to 270 with my gun. I get on average 20 shots per 12-gram CO2. Now the thing is, it's got an 8 ball loader - so in saying that, your gonna want to use differant tactics than your usual play with a 200 loader. Your gonna want to make your shots count and not waist them with 8 shot bursts unless you know you'll be able to re-load 8 balls during the firefight. So your if your a smart player your basically playing stock but with a semi pistol.
Next- the sidekick: It has a very similar loader to the sydarm which is a hole just a bit larger than a .68 paintball. (Oh yeah - the sydarm doesn't use any special paint - .68 cal any brand) it does hold 10 shots. It's very light. Much lighter than my sydarm - so I give weight to the sidekick. As for velocity - not even close to my sydarm. It peeks somewhere around 220 (if I'm not wrong) so your gonna want to make sure you get close to your victim if your gonna pull it out on the field. The trigger pull is (how can I say) sorta stiff - so you gotta just pull it and not worry about breaking it as it just feels like it will, but it won't.
The PT Enforcer - Junk. It's ok for target practice in the backyard. But on the field- no way.
The PT Extreme - I like the trigger pull. It's nice and smooth. I think Drizit handled most of the field testing and has given his review. I can see all that happening if I used mine like that. But these pistol markers weren't made to be used as main guns in a game. I can see using them for Indoor play where your in a close quarters environment. But not in the woods to do any long ballin - The barrels range from 6.5"(Sydarm) to about 8"(Sidekick - roughly) and the PT's- well I'm not at home right now to measure them but somewhere in between the sydarm and the sidekick. I hope this answers any of the above info that was not mentioned.
I have never owned a sqall but I hear they are pretty good. Maybe even better than the sydarm. But I personally won't say that until I check them out side by side.

Drizit
03-06-2002, 01:22 PM
i have an update on the pt extreme. i was carying it at skyball (i had plans to see if i could put a hyper frame, warp, and hopper adapter on it... don't ask.) when someone noticed my constiant air setup. he asked me what i thought and when i told him i like the air setup the the pistol was junk he said "that's good to hear, since i designed it." he was out of uniform but said he worked for NPS, he looked at mine and when we could't find a serial number he told me it was a first gen, and that it was reliesed in a low quality state just to see if it would take hold, when people started picking them up thay revised it (a lot) and put out the second gen ones. i'll be sending mine back soon to be replaced and see what the new ones are like. once i beat the crap out of it (use it under normal operating conditions) for a while i'll post back my findings.

Demonio
03-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Well that's one way to put your foot in your mouth. I look forward to reading your review on the 2nd Gen version.

Snooky
03-07-2002, 01:27 AM
well i own 2 of the pt extremes( a black and a silver one) and i have had nuthing but luck with the black one and the silver one is always broke. im not sure if i got a first gen one but i did buy them very early. anyway the one that is black works and nicely. im thinking bottom line and 4oz so that i can shoot the 12 balls at a decent consistency.

davej946
03-07-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Demonio
Well that's one way to put your foot in your mouth....

No, that's not putting his foot in his mouth. Someone asked his opinion, and he had the kahoneas to give them his honest opinion. If Tom Kaye released a product like the one Drizit described, and I happened to own one, upon asking my opinion of it I'd tell Tom the same thing, knowing who Tom is. (Being able to recognize him from his photos here on AO)

In my opinion, 32* makes products that are of less quality hoping to increase profit margin. Tom has said it himself, AGD is a Engineering-based company, not a marketing-based company like many others in the paintball industry. Not to say that marketing is a bad thing, but when it is the primary drive of you company...

Later ~

Demonio
03-07-2002, 01:26 PM
Well Dave-
Drizit thought he was speaking to any ordinary player and spoke his mind and found out he was speaking to the designer - Drizit was probably a little shocked to find out who he told this pistol was junk. That didn't necessarily take Kahones- what took kahones is that he kept talking to him.
Now if you ran into Tom Kaye on some obscure paintball field - you would know him from his pics online and maybe from the AGD video. And you happened to own lets say ---- a 1st gen super bolt. Would you tell him it's junk? or would you tell him what problems you had with it? I'm guessing you'd tell him the problems you see and not just jump to Junk.

Demonio

Temo Vryce
03-07-2002, 01:52 PM
I was with Drizit at the time he put his foot in his mouth. You are right neither of us knew who this guy was but he was really cool about the whole thing. He never got upset or mad at Drizit and I don't think he was overly surprised at Drizit's comments. He was very nice to talk to and gave us a lot of insight in to the background of the marker, well that what I got out of it anyways. :)

Drizit
03-08-2002, 11:18 AM
he was cool about the hole junk thing, and in the case of my PT i would have jumped to junk even had i know who it was. i might however have not ended the sentence without saying why though.

snooky the best way i have seen to tell is the second gen (loader at lest) has a nub on the end of the pin that you use to reset the spring. the first gen one just has a pin that will allow the cup to bind when you push it back.

the 4oz co2 thing works well, i don't have to refill all day when i use it. the way i set mine up was with a one way fill nipple on a 45* elbow in the gun, a short peace of steel braid going from a QD to a 90* elbow on the ASA. i used the extender form a maxflow cradle attached to the grip and a PMI drop forward upside down attached to the end of that. The ASA got attached pointing forward to the drop. if i get my hands on a digital camara i will post a pic the setup for you. it works well, and i don't find the gun is too front heavy. you can even put a 9oz aluminium tank on it without changing the balance, and it does make people realy nervous when you mercy them by tapping them between the sholders with a longer tank. :D:D

Dayspring
03-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Is it possible to run a remote on the PT Extreme? I'm looking into setting up a Dual Pistol System (Think "Desperado" in the bar)

DJSOLID
03-08-2002, 02:24 PM
My wife wants me to set up dual pistols for her - Lara Croft syleee. I think it's kind silly, but she thinks it would be fun and I'd like to hear more... I might just do that, although I'd prefer to hook her up with one Squall from Palmer or something more quality driven - if i get her two Squalls, she'll scream about the price, and the screamin' sucks. Bad. Plus squalls are too dang big. Tom has got to intoduce a stocker auto - make it the Heckler and Koch of paintball sidearms - indestructible. Make it nice - real nice and put the rest out of business.

Hexis
03-08-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm prob gonna get a couple PTXs and have some Akimbo games. My brother and a friend are also planning on it. Common, for the price of 2 I can't even get 1/2 of a Sydarm. ;)

DJSOLID
03-08-2002, 03:41 PM
What be Akimbo?

Drizit
03-08-2002, 05:03 PM
you shouldn't have any problem with hooking up a remote. if you look at the recever just infront of the trigger you will see a bolt, just take that out and run your lines form there however you wish.

the only thing is if you want 2 you had better set it up so you can holster them. 10 rounds eatch doesn't last long, and you will have to put one away to reload the other. i just made myself a leg holster that fits with the 4oz attached. it looks bulky but it works. and djsolid, you can get a sydarm for about the same if not less then the squall. i know a shop around here that has one for $850 canadain that's about $500 US if you want i can pick it up for you if you send the coin. just PM me if your interested.

EDIT
akimbo is one gun in each hand.
EDIT