PDA

View Full Version : AO WinAmp Skin!

shartley
02-22-2002, 02:08 PM
Well, for all you WinAmp users I took one of my favorite Skins and did some MAJOR modifications so that AO could have its own WinAmp Skin!

I wanted it to have the same basic feel as the site as well as be easy to read and use (most of the time they lose this when overdone). I even got in a couple pictures for you. Enjoy….

http://www.gbsu-usa.net/boss/aoskin.jpg

If you want it, just download it at http://www.gbsu-usa.net/boss/aoskin.wsz . All you have to do is download it and it automatically installs the skin.. that quick, that easy.

(For those who do not have WinAmp, you can get a FREE copy at http://www.winamp.com !)

(For site staff…. If you want to use this as a free download for AO Members feel free to use the image in this Post, and go grab a copy of the skin and place it on your server. Thanks.)

synreal
02-22-2002, 02:13 PM
what did you use as a base skin for that? it may not be a good idea to use as a freebie/download unless you created the whole skin. very nice job though

Webmaster
02-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Neat - Ill stick it up top.

ProjectMag
02-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Looks nice. How bout adding some color like the yellow/light blue of AO?? Just a suggestion. :)

shartley
02-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Synreal
I already stated that I used one of my favorite skins (FusionAmp_DFX-5...that is not the standard base skin). This would mean it is not a "Ripped" Skin.... I openly state this, and I also provided the documentation in the actual .wsz file. I made sure I was following the rules.

Plus ALL skins are Freebe Downloads. :D No skin designer gets paid for them... they are labors of love.

In fact if you visit their site, you will find hundreds of skins that are modification of existing skins (and openly state so).... this is okay to do, just as long as you don't claim it is an original "from scratch" skin... of which it is clear I am not claiming. :) But it is good to think about it though.. thanks.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.... lots of work even to modify existing skins (as I am sure you know). I just hope folks enjoy it.

shartley
02-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Looks nice. How bout adding some color like the yellow/light blue of AO?? Just a suggestion.
Yes, this is a good idea. This skin was suppose to be subtle, yet still have the AO feel. I may (if there is enough demand) make some more with the brighter colors, different feels, more "wild" etc. I just thought this might be a nice start... and see the response. After all, there is a LOT of work that goes into even modifying them (as I stated in the other post).

It actually looks better as the real thing, and in use. :D

Webby
Thanks. Like I said, if there is enough interest and you folks want to distribute it as a Site Feebe, just grab away.

synreal
02-22-2002, 02:36 PM
How many hours do you have into this one so far? I've had to do completely custom skins before, and honestly don't miss those projects a bit ;) Too much work for a tiny little piece of art.

shartley
02-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Synreal
I know exactly how you feel. LOL That is why I will not do one from bare bones scratch… but only modify one that I like.

This one was started this morning, and I worked on it off and on all day between actual work. Actual time in… hard to figure.. a few hours I guess. And as you know, much of the time is spent just LOOKING at it…. LOL Not so hard to DO something, but often times the hard part is deciding WHAT to do. :) Oh, and not get interrupted… LOL And then you have the “tweaks”.

Yup... lots of work for a little bit of art... and FREE art at that.

cphilip
02-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Gimme some skin brotha! :D

:cool:

udtseal
02-22-2002, 09:05 PM
WOW! Thanks Shartley!! Once again, your talents amaze me! :)

jah871
02-23-2002, 09:01 AM
cool idea it looks great. hopefully you wil have time to make one that has more color but until then this one will do just fine. nice work

MikeCouves
02-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Pff I can do that in my sleep, only easy! Lol, that's pretty cool, what do you use to edit it though? Good job!

ZSigErik
02-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Dude you rock, I was looking all over for a great paintball winamp skin and low and behold I find one here in the GREAT AuotMag online forums. Man this just made my day...

Navy Seal
02-23-2002, 06:29 PM
SWEET!!!:)

giblit
02-25-2002, 06:57 PM
it doesnt work for me when i dl it, it brings me back to my stock skin, then when i go to select the new one it stays at the stock one whats wrong and is anyone else having this probablem :confused:

shartley
02-26-2002, 04:36 AM
I think you have a problem on your end. I have had no problems with that skin, nor heard of anyone else having problems. Do you have the latest version of WinAmp?

I am interested in hearing more...

giblit
02-26-2002, 10:15 AM
i think i have the latest virsion of winamp im not sure becuase i just downloaded a new winamp about a moth and half ago... so i dont know i guess i can re download it and try it again

RobAGD
02-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Shartly - A nice start but a tad plain :) Like the rest I would like to see a litle more AO flavor to the skin. I like the green text colors against a black back ground, thats one of my biggest complaints on many skins is the lack of good contrast on text

3 of my Fav skins are

Nucleo_AlienMind
Major Tom - Remix
Gen3

I also use a neat little winamp control utility called Soundcontrol plus, so all I have showing is my play list. I use Windows-Key + <set key> for all teh controls volume, next back up 10 down 10 play/pause stop start and starting play list.

http://software.reallyeffective.co.uk/

thats for sound control. It owns and I has yet to cause a problem on my system, unlike some other helper apps I have tried in the past.

-Robert

shartley
02-26-2002, 12:46 PM
RobAGD
As I said above, if there was enough need for a "pumped up" skin with more AO feel, I would make one. Well... seems like that is the case. I don't know when I will get to it, but it should be soon.

I just did not want to put the time into it unless I knew the members would use it... well, it seems they will. :D So, you can all look forward to another skin coming your way.

I will also take a look at the ones you listed and see if I can incorporate any of it into the new skin.

I also understand about the contrast stuff... I agree.. I HATE skins that get too fancy, or lack enough clarity to use easily... and I will not design an AO skin that is either. :)

So.... I guess we can say.. Stay tuned? LOL

zads27
03-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Nice shartley, I woulda preferred a translucent E-mag or somethin in the background.. though maybe that wouldn't fit your tastes, I still like it. I'll download as soon as I get on my home computer.

Snooky
03-04-2002, 04:04 AM
exelent work! i love it!:D :D :D

bond1313
04-21-2002, 07:50 PM
Thats very nice, I will start using it now, since I downloaded winamp.

LittMag
11-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Back up from the depths of AO... I still use it, newer members may want it!

Dayspring
11-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Excellent work Sam!!! Installed and ROCKIN'!