PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to mill a CF rail?

mpsd
01-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Can one mill a CF block onto a AM/MM rail? If you use the AM/MM sear, one wouldn't need any sort of aluminum insert as there would be no threads at all.

That would be awesome!

cockerpunk
01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
better plan is probably to just get rid of the rail, be easier to design your way around it, rather then mill carbon fiber. its hell on tooling.

knownothingmags
01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Can one mill a CF block onto a AM/MM rail? If you use the AM/MM sear, one wouldn't need any sort of aluminum insert as there would be no threads at all.

That would be awesome!
I print functioning rails. So I don't see why not.

We made all our arms and stuff for our Rc cars out of milled composite carbon fiber like the automag sing trigger frame. And we have made the same parts out of layered carbon fiber.

If you know the info about the carbon fiber you have it is really easy to mill.

astr0xz0mbie
01-27-2014, 07:03 PM
someone do a run of these pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knownothingmags
01-27-2014, 07:06 PM
someone do a run of these pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why? just for the black look?
and if you cant get composite,
layered, the proper layered type of carbon fiber, the rail will be crap,
luke makes amazing light rails that don't have the possibility to fail.

be is actually selling them now.

mpsd
01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
I was looking at my Carbon Mag, with the Carbon body, frame, foregrip and barrel and I just thought that having a carbon rail in place of the already ridiculously light Mini Shadow rail would be cool. :) That's why I asked.

Chrome
01-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Am I the only one amused by the notion that folks are discussing building basically a completely plastic automag, and this is considered a good thing? :D

Frizzle Fry
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
The first carbonfiber paintball products I recall encountering are AGD frames - I'm not concerned.

knownothingmags
01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
I was looking at my Carbon Mag, with the Carbon body, frame, foregrip and barrel and I just thought that having a carbon rail in place of the already ridiculously light Mini Shadow rail would be cool. :) That's why I asked.

no it totally is cool.
just think it would have been done by now.

I would be in for one for sure if came out nice.

knownothingmags
01-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Am I the only one amused by the notion that folks are discussing building basically a completely plastic automag, and this is considered a good thing? :D

its possible, I have one 100% plastic ABS minus the body and valve of course.
boddy will be done soon.
there should be no problems what so ever since my prototype slug body was good until my son got ahold of it and I found it under my back tire as I drove off. :D

Chrome
01-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Ha! Not at all a statement of concern regarding functionality, durability, etc. I still haven't found a frame I like better than the AGD CF one. I just thought it was funny considering the general stigma against plastic is all. I've never shot one, but I think I would be a glock kind of guy, too. A composite grip frame for some reason just feels "right" to me.

Fred
01-29-2014, 09:29 AM
No more need to mill it once this arrives...

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-worlds-first-carbon-fiber-3d-printer-1511379510

knownothingmags
01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
No more need to mill it once this arrives...

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-worlds-first-carbon-fiber-3d-printer-1511379510

there have been many know trouble with this process.
especially from that maker.

this and nylon is my next setup for my printer.
takes some knowing how to tweek but hopefully soon I will be printing in these materials.