PDA

View Full Version : Convince my parents that PayPal is safe!

MikeCouves
02-22-2002, 08:10 PM
This is for paintball, so I don't think it is in the wrong forum. I need to convince them because I am under age and don't have a credit card but my parents do :D. I just need some main key points because the site goes into too much information.

slateman
02-22-2002, 08:13 PM
This probably belongs in the friendly forum but a mod will take care of it.

PayPal isn't that safe, sorry

MikeCouves
02-22-2002, 08:20 PM
It's not that safe? Hmm. Well it's convienent, if you trust the person you are sending money too that is, nothing's safe when you think about it.

fenris69
02-22-2002, 08:26 PM
I've done plenty of paypal transactions, never had a problem. It's never a guarantee when your sending another person money, but paypal does keep a permanent record for you to view at any time, plus you can see how many transactions a persons had, successful or otherwise. So in the event you did get screwed you do have some form of proof. If your looking for security however, send a postal M.O. If anyones stupid enough to mess with that, theyre looking at mail fraud which amounts to a federal offence.

MikeCouves
02-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Yeah that's what I normally do but they are really slow to the states and I find them quite inconvienent. I would only use PayPal with a reputable person.

lopxtc
02-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Sorry I myself cannot back paypal. They maybe easy and convienent, but if you get screwed then its your lose. Paypal says in their little readme that they are not responsible for anything that goes on with their service.

Also check out
http://www.paypalsucks.com
for more information on this.

Aaron

Webmaster
02-25-2002, 09:57 AM
I believe if you use your visa card you are protected by thier customer protection against fraud - just like any other CC transaction.

Skoad
02-25-2002, 09:59 AM
i have paypal because i sold a bunch of online game stuff to some people for a quick 700$

also i have purchased a barrel off a online store via paypal, very easy, fast

withdrawing money is simple too, i just take mine out of paypal straight to a checkin account

A+ stuff

-Skoad

cphilip
02-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Yes! Webby has the ticket! And furthermore you are insured up to $200 by Pay Pal themselves as well. It's a process you have to file for and an outside company that is hired by Pay Pal to do it but its there. I do the credit card thing myself through them. Never had a problem with it. Prefer it as a matter of fact. As safe as any other method kinda. To me if you have a pay pal I know someone has a bank account and credit card I am dealing with. That makes me more confident they exist and are likely to be traceable if they try and screw me.

Tell me where your parents are and I will whoop up on em for ya kid! ;)

synreal
02-25-2002, 10:29 AM
wanna hear paypal horror stories? just ask donggie, i'm sure he'd be more than happy to vent.

paypal is not that safe, if a transaction goes bad it is up to paypal to decide who is at fault, and whether or not to pay. also, since they are not federally insured, if you have 500 hundred bucks in your paypal account and they file for bankruptcy (or their servers hickup and your balance gets reset) you are out the cash with no real recourse.

convienient - yes
safe - not really

cphilip
02-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Good points syn. I forgot to say I never leave money in the Pay Pal account. I transfer it right out. And I limit my purcahses to a couple of hundred dollars only. Only what I could choke up and lose if I ahd too. And I always pay for them through Credit Card except for sometimes a few like $50 or less things.

synreal
02-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Same here, I still use paypal, but never keep ANY cash in the account and always pay by credit card so I have a second entity (CC fraud department) that I can goto if a deal turns sour.

99.5% of the time people online are not out to cheat you, but it only takes a large failed purchase to put a bad taste in your mouth for life.

cphilip
02-25-2002, 10:45 AM
Tell us what happened to Don.

synreal
02-25-2002, 10:53 AM
He'd be a better one to tell the tales, but he has run the gammut of people using stolen credit cards, Paypal not settling damages against him, Paypal not checking that people have enough cash to cover charges, Paypal approving tranactions the the CC companies decline, ...

I don't think they are getting a Christmas card from him anytime soon.

LaW
02-25-2002, 11:37 AM
It's not safe guys... I got ripped off 250 from my bank account and when I filed for fraud I got a report back saying the other person was at fault but since he didn't have any money in his paypal account that there was nothing they could do. I still use it regularly however it's mostly for taking payment. And as mentioned I too now always use cc because you'll pretty much get your money back filing with your cc company.

krafty
02-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Webby, you're kinda right...

PayPal doesn't have fraud protection for credit card transactions. You rely on the fraud prevention division of your credit card when you use it through PayPal. If you are defrauded, you call your CC company, who then issues you a credit. PayPal ends up eating that loss, and will most likely instantly cancel your account.

I am not sure what kind of fraud protection you get with an actual PayPal account transaction.

cphilip
02-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Looks bad for you MikeCouves....
:(

magdude25
02-25-2002, 04:08 PM
wanna know how safe it is ?? read this www.paypalwarning.com (http://www.paypalwarning.com)

magdude25
02-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Forgot to add your best bet is www.c2it.com (http://www.c2it.com) by citibank , there is no fee to send money , plus you get $5 for signing up and $10 when you send your First payment ;)

MikeCouves
02-26-2002, 01:02 AM
Doesn't really matter, it's for my own good and my money loll, just their credit card :p. I think I will stick to snail mail for now...