PDA

View Full Version : How unlikely is this?

Skyssx
02-15-2014, 07:17 AM
I've got a CP two-piece barrel set for my LCD angel. Just starting in mags, I have all the options open for a multi-size barrel kit. I could go with CP twist lock, but that would duplicate barrels I already have, and I don't know how serious the "breech size/bolt size issue" really is at today's tiny paint sizes. Obviously the Standard is a ULE body with autococker threading, but then i've got to duplicate my barrel kit again, and with a threading that purportedly takes forever to install and remove.

It would seem my options are a twist-lock kit, or a new body threaded for my old Angel barrels, or a twist-lock adapter (as from Doc) but threaded in Angel instead of cocker.

ULE itself isn't a huge draw for me. My rifles overseas were all somewhere around 11 pounds, and when I was a machine gunner for several years, that was over 25. I'm not a big dude by any stretch of the imagination, but weight does not matter to me. But the ability to have a center feed would be nice. Mag body, angel detents, angel feed neck, old angel barrel threads. Bodies are already made with two out of three. I guess it would not be trivial to change the barrel threading for a production run of very likely one.

Thoughts?

captian pinky
02-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Sell the cp kit buy a freak kit, cocker threaded back and a mag back. That's way cheaper
Than having someone machine something so you only have to have one barrel set.

AGDRetro
02-15-2014, 08:48 AM
The lightweight and Cocker threaded barrels may not turn you on to the ULE, but the threaded vertical feed should! No elbows to lose or break!

athomas
02-15-2014, 12:46 PM
The lightweight and Cocker threaded barrels may not turn you on to the ULE, but the threaded vertical feed should! No elbows to lose or break!That was the main reason I switched to ULE bodies when they first came out. I kept breaking elbows or getting them twisted sideways during games.

Nobody
02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
there is a thread adapter that literally goes over the angel threads for cocker threads. its on ebay, or at least what i have heard. doesn't add any length to the barrel.

athomas
02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
I had heard of them before.

Angel thread to Cocker body thread adapter (http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?s=iispaintball&mimid=210237FBYXWLLMA0MIZVJ5RIDZKVMYC1&pf_id=XP1215A-RAO&dept_id=23312)

knownothingmags
02-15-2014, 10:30 PM
hmmm, I like that angel cocker thingy. looks like im getting some new barrels.

Skyssx
02-16-2014, 08:39 AM
hmmm, I like that angel cocker thingy. looks like im getting some new barrels.

That is quite interesting. It just converts the threads instead of the entire barrel leade.

I forgot to mention in the OP, I don't buy Gardener products, so Freak kits are right out.

paintchucker
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM
If you like the interchangeable barrels of different bores, then buy a new one for your new gun... If you like the CP barrel set, see if you can buy just the backs for the new gun threads. I did this with Freaks, and over the years collected many backs and many tips, and several bore sleeve sets.

IIRC, on the Angel/Cocker thread adapter, keep in mind this will basically turn the barrel set into 1 bore size, that being the bore size of the adapter...

knownothingmags
02-16-2014, 02:45 PM
That is quite interesting. It just converts the threads instead of the entire barrel leade.

I forgot to mention in the OP, I don't buy Gardener products, so Freak kits are right out.

Gardener products?

TyeStick
02-16-2014, 02:50 PM
I think I might buy one of those sleeves. I have a stash of older Angel threaded barrels and if I can use them on my cocker threaded mag, that's awesome.

paintchucker
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Gardener products?

Guessing Bill and Adam Gardner ... original owners of Smart Parts... IIRC, they did some slick lawyer type moves on some critical paintball patents back 10-12 years ago... They gained many haters...

Skyssx
02-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Gardener products?

Anything Smart Parts or GoG.

They bought the Shocker design from someone after a production deal, then sued everyone making anything electronic. The Shocker was a heavy, gas hungry, spool valve marker. Through patent trolling, they were able to claim a patent on any paintball gun using a microswitch. Many, many companies were put out of business by their bull****. They then cashed out, SP went out of business, and now they're back with a different name. They could have exactly the part I needed, and i'd never buy it from them.

athomas
02-16-2014, 06:42 PM
IIRC, on the Angel/Cocker thread adapter, keep in mind this will basically turn the barrel set into 1 bore size, that being the bore size of the adapter...Most adapters do this, but the angle to cocker ones that use the outer sleeve just change the threading of the angle back to that of a cocker back, so if it is a back that takes inserts, the variable bore also remains.

Bunny
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Step 1: Find Angel barrel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6823946/Current%20Collection/misc/photo%201.JPG

Step 2: Find "Old School" Angel to Autococker adapter.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6823946/Current%20Collection/misc/photo%202.JPG

Step 3: Side adapter onto barrel. You now have an autococker barrel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6823946/Current%20Collection/misc/photo%203.JPG

Not sure if will help you or not, but I like to visualize things... :D

Skyssx
02-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Bunny, someone posted a buy link for that at II Sports, but the visualization is great! Lining stuff up with rubber bands, it appears the contoured portion of the CP two-piece will line up perfectly with the front of a classic length body. If aluminum bodies are of similar dimensions to steel bodies in front of the feed port, it should work out perfectly.

Bunny
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Very cool. I actually just bought mine from II sports about a month ago so hopefully they still have some left :D Just make sure you get the correct angel threads. Since i'm mainly a mag guy I didn't know the differences between the old vs. new.

Skyssx
02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
There are actually three Angel threadings. There is "old" or original threads like you have, then "G7" where they changed the threads and leade, and finally "A1" where they kept the threads the same but shortened the leade again. You can use G7 in an A1, but there will be a gap between the part of the barrel that would usually sit on the front face of the marker, and the marker face. If you were to use an A1 in a G7, there would be a big gap the ball had to travel across.

I have a (very pretty, IMO) LED angel with a mechanical issue i'm trying to fix. The breech rods are stuck in the marker body, and the breech block is jammed mostly shut. All my 'good stuff' is based around that gun. I think it'd be super neat to find a 'speedy blue' kit for my mag to make them match, eventually. Patience seems to be the name of the game.