PDA

View Full Version : Will a Dye DM3 frame/trigger work with either RTP or AM style setup without modding?

NewToMags2014
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I like the look of some DM frames but really don't have a good way to do any machine work. Will any of the DM line of frames/triggers (specifically DM3) work with RTP/AM setups without modification?

Nobody
02-28-2014, 06:38 PM
don't know, but i'll mock it up since i have a DM3 frame and both a AM and RTP style rails. stay tuned.

Nobody
02-28-2014, 11:39 PM
alright, i don't know where my DM3 frame is, so i can't help you out at this time.

river031403
02-28-2014, 11:56 PM
I would just think that maybe moving frame screw holes and getting the correct length screws. Are you running it mech or electro?

NewToMags2014
03-01-2014, 10:56 AM
alright, i don't know where my DM3 frame is, so i can't help you out at this time.

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to even try to figure it out. Let me know if you find the frame :)

I would just think that maybe moving frame screw holes and getting the correct length screws. Are you running it mech or electro?

Would be running it mech

Chrome
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a toxic frame that I just took a look at. Things that would have to change:

New front frame screw hole. Depending on your frame, internal milling might make a challenge.

Modify trigger. Internally the trigger covers the area that needs to be a through hole for the sear rod.

Trigger pivot pin about in the same position as a stock mag frame. Might not have enough material to place a safety.

Milling the grip frame behind the trigger. This is probably the hard part. You would have to open up a passage behind the trigger for the sear rod to pass through to meet with the back of the trigger. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might be possible to modify the sear rod (if you could make it short enough) to actuate on the inner vertical flat of the trigger, without having to machine the frame. Would take some experimenting, though.

Field Strip hole. Might have to make/modify a bushing for the field strip screw; I don't have a caliper to compare the predrilled hole sizes.

So, might not be impossible, but definitely not a drop-in thing. If you search around here a bit, you will see though that folks have had good luck making the UL frames from the later model PM/DM work. What kind of frame are you looking for? What specific DM3 frame do you have in mind? There are a lot of aftermarket automag frames; there might be something already made that fits what you're after without having to modify something if you are looking to do just a straight mechanical build.

Hope that helps!

river031403
03-01-2014, 11:33 AM
El panda has a very nice ul'd framed mag

NewToMags2014
03-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I have a toxic frame that I just took a look at. Things that would have to change:

New front frame screw hole. Depending on your frame, internal milling might make a challenge.

Modify trigger. Internally the trigger covers the area that needs to be a through hole for the sear rod.

Trigger pivot pin about in the same position as a stock mag frame. Might not have enough material to place a safety.

Milling the grip frame behind the trigger. This is probably the hard part. You would have to open up a passage behind the trigger for the sear rod to pass through to meet with the back of the trigger. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might be possible to modify the sear rod (if you could make it short enough) to actuate on the inner vertical flat of the trigger, without having to machine the frame. Would take some experimenting, though.

Field Strip hole. Might have to make/modify a bushing for the field strip screw; I don't have a caliper to compare the predrilled hole sizes.

So, might not be impossible, but definitely not a drop-in thing. If you search around here a bit, you will see though that folks have had good luck making the UL frames from the later model PM/DM work. What kind of frame are you looking for? What specific DM3 frame do you have in mind? There are a lot of aftermarket automag frames; there might be something already made that fits what you're after without having to modify something if you are looking to do just a straight mechanical build.

Hope that helps!

Chrome, that does help. Thank you! Guess I'll just have to do some experimenting first hand. Doesn't sound impossible although I'm going to need to get some additional tools to do the necessary modifications. Might have to put this thought on hold for a bit.

El panda has a very nice ul'd framed mag

Just checked and El panda has a thread for modding a pm frame that is also a good resource. much appreciated :)