PDA

View Full Version : The man with the brass ule body

Xmagterror
03-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Thought i would throw a pic of this up here so you guys could see it. I was hired to make a ULE body out of
solid brass for an AO member. Nothing ULE about this bad boy!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x291/bridgemach90/IMG_20140316_154453_134_zpsrhaz0h1q.jpg

sQuidvision
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM
ohh sweet! Must be an MCB member as well :p

Was this an expensive endeavor?

debruynda
03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for posting XMT, looks amazing, can't wait to put it on my mag.

It looks exactly as I had envisioned.

Xmagterror
03-16-2014, 03:31 PM
ohh sweet! Must be an MCB member as well :p

Was this an expensive endeavor?

Yes it was kinda expensive. The metal cost 6 times the cost of 7075 aluminum

I would love to see it polished up!

Levi
03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
That's neat!

I'm imagining this polished and sitting on a rail made out of mahogany...

What are the plans for the rest of the build?

debruynda
03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
That's neat!

I'm imagining this polished and sitting on a rail made out of mahogany...

What are the plans for the rest of the build?

Eventually, once I get the rest of the parts together, I was going to run some ideas by Roger at precision powder coating to come up with a vintage looking finish on the lowers so that as the brass ages it looks like a custom vintage looking mag. That's just one idea.

Although since XMT brought it up I may go the opposite direction and get the body polished up.

astr0xz0mbie
03-16-2014, 04:39 PM
a wooden rail would be tits and polish that body up good ! make that brass shine

Xmagterror
03-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I think the old antique look would be pretty sweet. Figure out how to make a wood rail that has aluminum on the critical parts.

sQuidvision
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Wooden rail! DO THIS! that would be excellent!

If the owner of this still has any money left they should see if luke will do a brass 86* single trigger frame.

jaywmustang
03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Looking forward to a finished marker!!

river031403
03-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Wood inset of fancy milling on the rail. Look at old woody type beach rides to get insperation

going_home
03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Looks like aluminum ....

I thought brass was more gold colored ?

sQuidvision
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Looks like aluminum ....

I think the picture is just a bit washed out.

knownothingmags
03-16-2014, 09:32 PM
too bad it didn't come out nicer. :D
i need 3 of these.
and then 3 brass barrels and 3 brass xvalves.

seriously how cool :D

debruynda
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Looks like aluminum ....

It would be more gold if it was polished, this one has not been polished:)

debruynda
03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
too bad it didn't come out nicer. :D
i need 3 of these.
and then 3 brass barrels and 3 brass xvalves.

seriously how cool :D

I think it is very cool and am grateful XMT decided to undertake the project for me with the other ule bodies:)

C_losjoker
03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
How about doing a brass pirate build, you might be able to have a classic valve powder coated to match.

debruynda
03-17-2014, 01:04 PM
The other thing I was thinking about was going for one of the custom "Palmer-like" finishes where they polish the brass then tape it off in a tiger stripe pattern and bead blast it so that the finish is multi-textured.

Fred
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Looks awesome, nice work and a fun idea for building upper body strength!

Nobody
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
points to you for being different, all about that. there is something about standing out and everyone being jealous.

but, brass, i am not a fan. granted, it has more to do with MCB crowd, but its heavier than aluminium, softer than it too. it can get to a nice patina but for the price, i just don't get it. but more power to you, if you want to make a mag heavier.

Syko89
03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Very nice. I would like a copper body but I am sure it would be stupid money.

debruynda
03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
points to you for being different, all about that. there is something about standing out and everyone being jealous.

but, brass, i am not a fan. granted, it has more to do with MCB crowd, but its heavier than aluminium, softer than it too. it can get to a nice patina but for the price, i just don't get it. but more power to you, if you want to make a mag heavier.

Thanks?

SoulCoffin
03-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Make sure to bring it to the next tunaball :headbang:

Nobody
03-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks?

hey, what i say doesn't matter. you asked for it, you paid for it and hopefully your happy with it. what i say doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. so be happy with what you have and tell me to shut up. :cheers:

cougar20th
03-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Jay, That isnt a ULE body. Its UHE (Ultra Heavy Engineering) Body.

SoulCoffin
03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
now im curious... what is the weight difference?

cougar20th
03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
The weight of 1 cubic inch of aluminum is approx 0.10 pounds.
The weight of 1 cubic inch of Brass is approx 0.31 pounds.

So the body is approx 3X heavier then a aluminum one.

Xmagterror
03-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Jay, That isnt a ULE body. Its EHE (Ultra Heavy Engineering) Body.

Haha....the body is approx 7oz.

I think its really awesome looking. A copper body would be sweet...I think I would just have that plated though.

Someone send me a solid bar of gold and I will make you a ule body
Out of it for free if I can have the chips.lol

debruynda
03-18-2014, 09:54 AM
I guess to the weight issue, I'll comment: I must be the only one who remembers running around a paintball field with a bob long autococker with brass palmers front end pneumatics, dye generation one stainless, with a unireg and air america 114. Pretty sure this body will weigh less or slightly more than the 12" generation one dye barrel alone.

Three times the weight of one of XMT's ule aluminum bodies is what? Not much in comparison to the above, especially with a ule milled rail and aluminum grip frame. So, it's all a matter of taste, to which there need be no justification since it's hard to account for:)

debruynda
03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
hey, what i say doesn't matter. you asked for it, you paid for it and hopefully your happy with it. what i say doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. so be happy with what you have and tell me to shut up. :cheers:

I'm not going to tell you to shut up:) I don't know you so I honestly couldn't tell if you were giving me some sort of back-handed compliment, either way, it's cool.

debruynda
03-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Jay, That isnt a ULE body. Its UHE (Ultra Heavy Engineering) Body.

Yeah, I guess all things considered it is a bit of a misnomer to call it a ule:D

debruynda
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Haha....the body is approx 7oz.

I think its really awesome looking. A copper body would be sweet...I think I would just have that plated though.

Someone send me a solid bar of gold and I will make you a ule body
Out of it for free if I can have the chips.lol

Especially as the copper oxidizes(is that the right term?) and turns green...

So a measly 7oz, or less than a half a pound, maybe right at 8 once you add the feedneck and detents. Looks like I better hit the gym.

SoulCoffin
03-18-2014, 11:53 AM
hey, what i say doesn't matter. you asked for it, you paid for it and hopefully your happy with it. what i say doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. so be happy with what you have and tell me to shut up. :cheers:I'm not going to tell you to shut up:) I don't know you so I honestly couldn't tell if you were giving me some sort of back-handed compliment, either way, it's cool.

and this is why we need name tags at tunaball, lol. you guys mustve crossed paths a billion times last year... wouldn't be surprised if you downed some beers together heh :)

blackdeath1k
03-18-2014, 11:58 AM
debruynda you just described basically the exact cocker I've wanted since 96 or 7. Except no AA comp air tank. I want a nitroduck megareg on it

I'm using A OEM classic rt now. So the weight of this wouldn't phase me at all. And it is unique. So I love it.

debruynda
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
debruynda you just described basically the exact cocker I've wanted since 96 or 7. Except no AA comp air tank. I want a nitroduck megareg on it

I'm using A OEM classic rt now. So the weight of this wouldn't phase me at all. And it is unique. So I love it.

They are still out there:) The guy that owns the field I play at has one that is just sitting around. I've been after him to sell it so if he does I'll let you know and you can have dibs on it.

LK-13
03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Thought i would throw a pic of this up here so you guys could see it. I was hired to make a ULE body out of
solid brass for an AO member. Nothing ULE about this bad boy!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x291/bridgemach90/IMG_20140316_154453_134_zpsrhaz0h1q.jpg

So how did you handle the impact of the bolt?
enough cycles and the breach may start getting mushroomed or deformed...
Stainless Steel Bushing?

Xmagterror
03-18-2014, 11:27 PM
using a high alloy brass with a stainless bushing. not as soft as you think.

knownothingmags
03-18-2014, 11:56 PM
using a high alloy brass with a stainless bushing. not as soft as you think.

bushing for what?
c-clip and ring?

Runamok
03-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Classic mag with AA. Apocalypse and 114 tank. SS boomer. Brass would seem light.

blackdeath1k
03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
They are still out there:) The guy that owns the field I play at has one that is just sitting around. I've been after him to sell it so if he does I'll let you know and you can have dibs on it.

I've not really been searching because I'd be tempted to buy. As much as I've always wanted one. Mags are so much easier to mess with. Hence using mags since the mid 90s instead of cockers.

debruynda
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Well here it is.

Just shot it...what can I say XMT. I love it. Looks real good on the black mag too:)

It is noticeably heavier when compared to my ule rt pro body you did but once mounted it is feels really well balanced.

saintnoir
03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
needs a ule rail with the milled slots filled with a burly walnut inset

yellowmitten
03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
looks like it should have a steam whistle feed neck.

Runamok
03-19-2014, 04:06 PM
So if i send you the "cannon" project I've had for ten years you might could make me one of these? Cast brass and of large enough dia.? started to dress it down then lost use of the leathe due to the company shuting down. Cannon got benched so now maybe I got a use for this chunk of brass? Maybe a minimag style body with Dallara tail? Long brass sluggo? Brain damaged hallucination?LSD Flashback? "Charlie's coming!!!!" You still haven't said if you'd take on an alum. sydarm body project either.

Xmagterror
03-20-2014, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Runamok;Brain damaged hallucination?LSD Flashback? "Charlie's coming!!!!" You still haven't said if you'd take on an alum. sydarm body project either.[/QUOTE]

HAHA man thats great! LOL I would be willing to take on a project for you after i get the production bodies done + take a short break. Im not sure if the sydarm project is possible....the way that i want to do it anyways.

BTAutoMag
03-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Well here it is.

Just shot it...what can I say XMT. I love it. Looks real good on the black mag too:)

It is noticeably heavier when compared to my ule rt pro body you did but once mounted it is feels really well balanced.

polish that thing and take a better picture. it deserves to shine

D3adpool
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
My first paintball marker was a Rap4 T68. Compared to that, playing with brass is not that bad. You have to keep in mind that it's not solid on the inside.

Here is my mirror polished T2 for reference:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-py94vBWm5sM/UsYjL6bjHWI/AAAAAAAAFJ4/kEIHbmoAU9s/w885-h661-no/t2x2.JPG

You honestly don't notice it when playing. Granted the bulk of my weight sits in my frame which makes it very stable in my hands.

If there was a small run of these mag bodies, I might be interested in picking one up.