PDA

View Full Version : Friendly IMPORTANT reminder

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Start hydrating yourself for Legends NOW!

Dayspring
05-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Seriously?

skipdogg
05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
There's at least 1 guy every year that leaves in an ambulance. From passing out, dehydrated. So yeah. I would say he is being serious.

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
skip's correct on that fact.

Dayspring
05-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Any specific instructions?

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Drink water... Saleen drip... Enema... Any way you wish to hydrate yourself. I really just don't want to carry your butt off the field, lol

Flatliner333
05-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I dont see beer on the list...should I stop drinking so much beer and start drinking water?

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
beer dehydrates the body. your call.

Nobody
05-05-2014, 05:51 PM
what is the projected temps for the game? i find it hard to believe that its going to be that hot. maybe its me, but coming from a temperate region where it gets rather hot and humid, i can't see that it would be that hot were you need to hydrate yourself 2 weeks before hand.

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 06:25 PM
we do not speak of weather before an event... bad juju

vintage
05-05-2014, 09:10 PM
my allergy med leaves me with dry mouth so I drink a lot anyway and I work in non air conditioned plant with 2 massive powder coat systems in hot and humid Oklahoma so it all about pacing yourself and lots of water

BTAutoMag
05-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I used to live in OK. I know what you mean

Beemer
05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Heres a tip.......Mix your favorite Gatorade 50/50 with water.;)

Nobody
05-06-2014, 06:02 AM
we do not speak of weather before an event... bad juju

you might think that, but some of us that are traveling to not only a different time zone, but also a different temp zone, kinda would like to know what kind of weather we would be dealing with, so we can pack appropriately.

unless the weather is effect by words or even the written word, knowing or knowledge can only help the people who live 10+ hours or 850+ miles away. capiche?

BTAutoMag
05-06-2014, 10:30 AM
plan for warm and humid

JUJU BAD JUJU

Syko89
05-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Weather has been mentioned!!! I'm bringing my poncho and taking off the speed feed

Flatliner333
05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
I am drinking lots o water and refraining from adult beverages for the moment. But where I'm from the weather is usually Hot and Humid with highs in the DAMMIT. The High temp in Joliet this week will be Tomorrow and Thurs. with a temp of 84* but for the most part it will be in the 70's.

RT Lover
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
i going to wear a camel pack, 25$ its worth it to me!

Bunny
05-06-2014, 03:30 PM
BT: Thanks for the heads up. I just got back from New Orleans a few weeks ago and need time to recover. :D

Nobody: What kind of beer should I pick up? :D I think I owe you a couple.

blackdeath1k
05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
i going to wear a camel pack, 25$ its worth it to me!

Yup. Worth every penny. If I'm not playing quick games with my redz tournament pack you can bet I've got my vest and water bladder.

Nobody
05-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Nobody: What kind of beer should I pick up? :D I think I owe you a couple.

well, i was going to get some and have you give me money for it. unless you can get Yuengling down there, i'll be bring some.

Menace_AO
05-06-2014, 08:45 PM
My recommendations for what they are worth:

1. If you plan on consuming a serious quantity of adult beverages, begin now. Nothing like a long dry spell followed by a crazed bender to throw your body off kilter. Moderate drinking in the days leading up to the event will give your body time to adjust to processing alcohol. Don't get silly with this. You aren't bending, just gently warming up. When you drink at night, drink water as well. If you have a massive hangover in the morning, it means you probably didn't stay hydrated enough the night before. Have a beer, eat something greasy, and drink plenty of water. But you shouldn't need to do this, since you were drinking water last night, right?

EDIT: If you aren't entering any drinking contests or trying to impress your friends with how much you can consume and still remain conscious, and if you simply want the maximum bang for your buck when you drink, go completely dry for as long as you can before the event. That way your body won't be used to the alcohol and you'll be rip-snorting merry in no time with far fewer drinks. Of course, you'll look like a lightweight, but you'll be the one having the last laugh, won't you? Just don't get carried away and try to drink even more. Your body will not take kindly to your bad decision.

2. Begin serious hydration 48 hours before you need it. You want to get ahead of your body, not try to play catch-up after the fact. Your body will win, and you will lose. Ramp up the day/night before and the morning of the vent. A good basic check is to pay attention to colors when you make your bladder flatter. Yellow is bad, clearer is better. Don't over-hydrate, however, as this will deplete your body of electrolytes. Beemer's advice about the Gatorade/water 50/50 split is a fine method to guarantee plenty of hydration and plenty of electrolytes. Remember to do this before hand as well as during and after. You may have to visit the Port-o-potty a lot before the game, but once the fun starts, you'll be glad you did.

3. Get a good night's sleep the night before the night before the first day of play. That is more critical even than the night before.

4. The night before I like to carb/salt/protein/fat load. Pizza or Chinese is perfect. Make sure you drink extra water to keep the tank full. All of these need extra water to process.

5. Eat a solid breakfast, and eat it early. Carbs, fats, protein, salt. Bananas are super. OJ and water along with your coffee are good. If you regularly drink coffee in the morning, keep it up today. If not, don't start now.

6. If you are older, get the aspirin/Tylenol/Alleve/whatever into your system at breakfast, and then again at dinner. Don't wait until after the fact to get the medicine into your blood. Do it before stressing your body, then again after. Stay ahead of the curve.

7. Warm/limber up thoroughly before play, stay warm, and stretch after. Last year at Tunaball I forgot to take my own advice and injured my Achilles on Saturday, making Sunday a limp-and-camp-fest. Not fun, plus months of recovery.

8. Stay hydrated throughout the day. Sip when you can, rather than gulp when you have to. Camel backs are peachy, but sips between games work just as well. Just be mindful of it.

9. Keep munching. Small light snacks in combination like dried fruits and nuts, seeds and M&Ms are great. They give you sugars, salts, fats and proteins so that your body doesn't get depleted. Keep it light, and keep it regular. If you want less frequent intake, Clif bars and the like work very nicely.

10. Pay attention to your body. If you made a heroic run for a bunker and felt a twinge in your lower back, or your knee or groin or wherever, have the good sense to dial it back and give yourself an honest assessment. Playing through an injury can be a serious, foolish business. If needed, sit out a game and allow your body to relax so that you can properly gauge the situation.

If you feel light-headed or see stars or feel tingly in the lips or numbness in the extremities or have tightness or pain in the chest or stomach or anything weird, get yourself out of the situation and deal with it immediately. Dehydration, heat exhaustion, heart issues, asthma, all of these are serious, and often ignored in situations like this. If you have a health condition, let SEVERAL people know about it before hand, together with advice on how to help you if trouble strikes, meds you are taking, allergies you have, etc.

11. For Pete's sake, if you have intact male anatomy wear a cup. Honestly, this shouldn't even have to be mentioned.

12. Shoot lots of Empire players. Studies have shown that victories over one's enemies release endorphins and activate the body's healing functions at an accelerated rate. In other words, winning is good for you.

Have fun out there.

BTAutoMag
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Good post!

Menace_AO
05-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Thank you, sir!

BigEvil
05-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I tech mags better drunk... and I play better hung over. This is a win-win situation for the big guy!!

Syko89
05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I might try to find some heady topper on my way out