PDA

View Full Version : X-Valve Consistency Issue

gretch6364
05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
I recently purchased this gun used:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii199/gretch6364/XValveMag_zps912d2371.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/gretch6364/media/XValveMag_zps912d2371.jpg.html)

Took it to the shop Saturday and got my tank filled and chrono'd the gun to get ready to play next weekend. I was using a Ninja Pro reg with all the shims, so should be putting out 800 psi into the gun. Dropped in a ULT kit and it cycled great. Added one more shim for a total of 3 and the gun just flies with pretty good reactivity and I can bounce the trigger a little if I want. The level 10 doesn't leak at all, and while at first I would get a tiny bit of bolt stick when rapid firing (dry firing) fast and it would not reset after firing, the stick 100% went away after a little oil in the gun and installation of the ULT. Shot it super fast and no issues at all. (gold spring and the double line carrier I think) I didn't rapid fire paint through the gun, but dry fired probably 2,000 psi out of a 68/45 tank. Stuck my finger in, the bolt feels like it is working great, and there are no leaks at all, so it seems to be set up right.

When we were chronoing the gun, we would get numbers like 290, 306, 295 and then like 215. And I was shooting slow...probably one shot every 5 to 10 seconds. This pattern was pretty consistent with every 3rd or 4th shot being in the low 200 range.

I pulled the rear section of the valve apart last night and cleaned it and re-greased and everything looked pretty good. The brass piston had a couple pin sized marks in it, but nothing that looked like it would be a problem. Also, when shooting, the gun didn't really sound any different on these lower shots.

Is this a common problem with these valves that could be one specific o-ring? Or could it just of been the chrono? If the reg was having issues, I would expect it to shoot hot, not low, right? I am hoping this was just the chrono or something and won't be an issue next weekend, but playing in a scenario game and wanted to see if you all had some ideas on what I could look for in the valve, just in case.

I didn't have any issues with double feeding and didn't break any paint. It was being fed by a rotor. However, I did notice at the end of the session, a ball rolled out of the barrel, and when chronoing the gun was pointed down a little. The paint looked like good paint and kind of looked like basketballs with a light blue pattern on it. Was using a freak with the red insert (687). If the ball was rolling forward, would that cause the low shots? Would the Rotor of double fed and broke paint if this was the case?

Thank you.

gretch6364
05-12-2014, 12:31 PM
I think the paint was Valken Graffiti and this was in Colorado, so very low humidity.

Spider-TW
05-12-2014, 01:14 PM
If a ball rolls away from the breech, it will shoot low. Check a dozen or more balls when looking for intermittent problems. Rapid humidity changes in paint often creates size stragglers. Tough paint can be shot in twos and threes.