PDA

View Full Version : Mac. or PC

Bonx0007
02-24-2002, 02:57 AM
I want to buy a laptop but I am getting fed up with some of the software issues my pc has. I want my laptop to be flawless which type would be better. I like the way the macs look but I am not sure how compatible they are with all the pc stuff. I want to be able set my mac laptop up to my nuculear fast desktop and sail. Is this fantasy possible. I saw some of the new macs today and my heart stopped at how nice they are now. I used to own an Apple IIgs. Anyway, what are your thoughts and opinions on the mac series these days. I am extremely fluent with a PC however I have not used a mac in about 5 years. Please only talk about macs if you have extensive use with them (especially the new ones with OSX on them). THanks.

Miscue
02-24-2002, 05:15 AM
Macs are nice, and I really really like OS X. They are stupid fast. You can run a copy of VirtualPC (is there something newer out now? I've been out of the loop) which works really good. If you are primarily running PC software, I'd just get a PC.

Macs are superb machines, if I had the money I would definitely have one. If I bought a laptop, I myself have been planning on getting a Mac. No money however. :) I'd be careful though, if you're not familiar with Macs I wouldn't be so quick to make the jump. It's because they are different and some people for some odd reason just don't like using something different.

I don't understand what you mean with being 'fed up' with your PC stuff. PC's work fine too if you get good stuff and you luck out with a good running computer... occassionally you get that computer that acts funny (same with Macs... a computer is a computer).

Darn it, you edited your thread!

bofh
02-24-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm gonna second Miscue here.

I love my iMacs.

The good thing about Macs is that they work. You don't need to futz with them much. Macs are an appliance, you use them for what they do. If you like futzing with your computer, then, I don't think a mac is for you.

The bad thing about Macs is that you can buy every game that comes out for them. Meaning that, there aren't that many games for the Mac. :)

I work with computers for a living, so I don't want to work on a computer when I get home. So I got a Mac. And the iMac makes a great LAN party machine... airport is wonderfull.

Yes, you could run VirtualPC to run some PC applications, (after all the Mac is backward compatable :) ) but it is much slower than the native Mac apps.

The notebooks a really sweet, aren't they?

Bonx0007
02-24-2002, 11:16 AM
I used to be all into futsing with my pc but now i am getting fed up. I read something about osx, you can get a document file and save it take it to a pc and your pc can read the samefile. I also don't play games on my pc that much. I have about four games on my pc right now and my cousin mostly plays those. I mostly use my comp to listen to music, watch movies, and talk of the forum, o yeah and check e-mail and chat with people.

Not to mention you can futs with apple laptops about as much as you can futs with pc laptops so it is truly a matter of reliability and performance. Keep it coming guys.

Thanks miscue, and bohf.

krafty
02-24-2002, 11:29 AM
If you're a UNIX fan, OS-X is essentially BSD with a pretty face. The new iBooks rock, and the 14" displays are now available.

Also, since RAM is so cheap nowadays, it's probably worthwhile to max out whatever you buy, either PC or Mac.

And to think, I'm generally a fan of PCs over macs.... hmm.