PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue - Trigger Frame To Body

Smudger
06-08-2014, 04:37 AM
I was wondering why the front allen bolt was so difficult to remove from the front of the trigger frame, well after a bit of "entertainment" I found that super glue has been used on the trigger frame to body.

All of it it seems, maybe even the thread of the allen bolt.

So idea's on how to remove this.

I have tried acetone (which normally works to remove super glue) but no joy so far.

Cheers

yellowmitten
06-08-2014, 04:54 AM
try mixing 1 part acetone with 1 part WD-40. If you need it to stay put for long periods of time or on vertical surfaces, mix in some petroleum jelly. Apply a good thick coat of this mixture.

Smudger
06-08-2014, 04:59 AM
The problem I have is getting it to the superglue. I would say around 1mm gap.

So applying anything other than a liquid/spray isn't possible.

But thanks for adding something to try!

Smudger

SPLATTER-ZONED
06-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Epoxy an allen key to the suck bolt and reef on it after it's fully cured.

SZ

yellowmitten
06-09-2014, 06:56 PM
could always boil the gun so long as you have a parts kit to replace the O rings.

cockerpunk
06-10-2014, 09:51 AM
could always boil the gun so long as you have a parts kit to replace the O rings.

take the valve out and theres no orings to deal with.

Smudger
06-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Boiling didn't work.

Once the freezer is a bit more empty it is going in, see if that will help.

Apart from the allen head is now rounded off.

athomas
06-11-2014, 07:12 PM
If it is actually super glue, it should break down at about 85 degrees Celsius which is lower than the 100 degree Celsius temperature of boiling water.

It will become soft if soaked in acetone for 24 hours. The acetone will penetrate quite well because it is a very thin liquid, roughly 1/3 of what water is.

Boiling only gets the temperature up to 100 degrees Celsius. Most glues and bonding agents don't break down until at least 150 degrees Celcius. If you put it in the oven and gradually bring the temperature up to 200 degrees Celsius, then it would probably break the glue bond. A gradual increase in heat will help prevent warping of the metal due to uneven expansion as the heat penatrates the metal.