PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade old Minimag or purchase RT ULE?

Motrin870
09-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Ok story first and pictures second if i attached the pictures correctly.9026790268

I'm active duty military in Okinawa Japan, and there are a few paintball fields here. I played tourney paintball when I was younger but want to get back into it. I'm kind of torn between upgrading my current marker, purchasing an RT ULE, or purchasing an electric marker. Preferably I would like to stay away from the electric markers because I really like AGD. I'm looking for knowledge and feedback on mods to make my old mini competitive, suggestions on if I should just purchase an RT ULE, or if it's even worth shelling out ~500 bucks for it when there are cheaper electrics; even though i'm trying to keep it old school. Do RT parts fit in my current set up so I can just convert my current mag to RT/ULE status? I'm also trying to figure out an air system that will work for either gun and mounted simular to my current set up. I've seen so many different options and tank sizes along with prices that I have no idea what it is that I need. Minimag upgrades are as follows:

Smart Parts Magic Box
8 hole mod
trigger job

Cyco-Dude
09-24-2014, 06:42 AM
technically an x-valve will fit in there, but it would be a shame to split the smart parts valve and milled minimag body. it may be better to just sell that and get a ule if that's what you want.

or, just use that as it is for now. if you feel the need to get something else, you can always do that. as for tanks, a 68 cubic inch 4500 psi tank is a good standard. the main difference between them is the regulator and manufacturers warranty. i like standard ninja regulators / tanks, because of the more durable steel bonnet, and they are easy to adjust the pressure on. also, good warranty and customer service.

SPLATTER-ZONED
09-24-2014, 06:47 AM
If you are comfortable with the ergonomics of your current set up, just add a Level 10 bolt kit, or you can replace the classic valve with a X-Valve or a R/T Pro valve for an instant upgrade.

SZ

dboggs79
09-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Personally I would try and sell the setup you have first. Assuming you're really not happy with it or just looking for something new. Upgrading or swapping parts will generally cost you more than if you just purchased a mag that met whatever it is you're looking for. Especially if you're looking for an updated valve. The first step I guess should really be deciding on exactly what you want . Or just keep the mag you have and buy something else. Then you have a backup/loaner. I know that's easier said then done on a military salary. Good luck.

ScottyBeans
09-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Plus there's nothing like that 'new gun' smell, Amirite?

Motrin870
09-24-2014, 10:05 AM
I know right!? So I ordered the Lv 10 bolt kit and I'm considering an intelliframe but not sure if it would be any better than my current setup. Besides a new tank and waiting for my parts kit to get here to change out the o-rings, I think that's all I will do with it for now unless I need a new barrel. I like the one I have but someone told me that paint is smaller now?

dboggs79
09-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Depending on the paint and location. Some of it runs quite a bit smaller, some isn't that drastic from before.

Cyco-Dude
09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Plus there's nothing like that 'new gun' smell, Amirite?
i wouldn't know, i'm sure the average age of my collection has got to be at least ten years. probably older...

I like the one I have but someone told me that paint is smaller now?
depends on the paint, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. overboring is not bad from a consistency standpoint, it's just not as gas efficient as a smaller bored barrel (since more air blows past the paintball instead of pushing it down the barrel).

blackdeath1k
09-24-2014, 06:39 PM
I'd just stick an RT or Xvalve in there and store the magic box valve. NOT sell the magic box valve. But I'm still ecstatic with my classic AutomagRT. So what do I know.

If you plan to play turny again check the rules on a RT valve mag though.