PDA

View Full Version : Got a history question about RT foregrip mounts...

Spider-TW
09-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Was there any practical reasoning behind the six screw rail bracket for RT Classic and RT Pro foregrip mounts? Are they completely cosmetic?

The sight rail on those markers has some unique purpose, even if it is mostly cosmetic. However, given the other direct foregrip mounting options, the foregrip mount has always seemed a bit out of place. I now vaguely remember someone moving the mount back or forward one screw; but that doesn't make sense for the Classic RT.

I'm hoping someone remembers some AGD comments or ads from that period as I can't think of an accurate search for the topic.

Cyco-Dude
09-23-2015, 03:42 PM
well, it does move the foregrip forward a bit. i've always thought that the classic automag was just a bit cramped with the foregrip right next to the grip frame. i would say the six screws is cosmetic...looks beefier lol.

Flatliner333
09-23-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm glad there is some forward adjustment when using a Z Grip.

lordgore66
09-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Well I think they were trying to create a universal platform that was infinitely upgradeable. I mean 6 air fittings on the rail was a little overkill as well but the "potential" was there. I'm sure they were leaving the door open for other aftermarket companies to build on it as well.

Dayspring
09-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Well I think they were trying to create a universal platform that was infinitely upgradeable. I mean 6 air fittings on the rail was a little overkill as well but the "potential" was there. I'm sure they were leaving the door open for other aftermarket companies to build on it as well.

He's talking about the front grip, not the classic RT in-rail air passage ports.

lordgore66
09-24-2015, 08:49 AM
He's talking about the front grip, not the classic RT in-rail air passage ports.
My first sentence was referring to the front grip, and then I elaborated in that it was probably put there for the same reason they put the multiple air fittings as well. Sorry it was hard to follow.

cockerpunk
09-24-2015, 09:00 AM
i always thought it was there for adjust-ability. you can move it farther forward, or farther back.

or you can drill out the mounting holes in the rail and mount it directly.

going_home
09-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Maybe Tom Kaye will chime in and end all speculation.

Runamok
09-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Well from a guy that play'd in those days, the RT had the sight rail(useless except for looks) and the foregrip mount farther forward then the automag. Plus the "holy" body front. The "RT Pro" had the sight rail removed and the body cut down to get rid of the holes. The RT Pro custom was a Ule bodied, long rail w/foregrip mount and the automag style rt valve. I owned all of these. They actually pre dated the shoe box Shocker that you couldn't lube with anything except Dow 33 and had the blazing 10 bps full auto mode, chuckle and and laugh. I only play'd with Mags for 20(?) years, so I've seen almost all of the developments that came round. I never had a hocker but I still have my 1st LED Angel, sn 499 ans she still works except for a leaky o-ring. The end of History class for today. Except for the fact that I bought one of the 1 st RT Pro Custom's at World cup from the AGD booth when TK still ran the company. ULE w/Intelly frame and X-valve. Paid a whopping $360. Wow!

Cyco-Dude
09-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Well from a guy that play'd in those days, the RT had the sight rail(useless except for looks) and the foregrip mount farther forward then the automag. Plus the "holy" body front. The "RT Pro" had the sight rail removed and the body cut down to get rid of the holes.
you could mount a sight on the sight rail (lol). the rt pro had the stamped stainless foregrip extender and sight rail.

Spider-TW
09-25-2015, 11:51 AM
i always thought it was there for adjust-ability. you can move it farther forward, or farther back.

But did it not first appear on the Classic RT? With the hardline attached, it is not easy to move.

I do vaguely recall Tom making a comment about peripherals on the RT (making it a flexible platform). I just never associated it with the front grip I guess. I've tried to come up with some sort of silliness to hang off of the front of those rails, but it has all been pretty weak so far.

vintage
09-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Maybe Tom Kaye will chime in and end all speculation.

maybe when he gets thru with his fossil searches. last facebook post was from the badlands.

rickenbacker22
10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever drilled out the slots on the front grip aluminum piece to make it look similar to the sight rail slots ?

blackdeath1k
10-02-2015, 10:12 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever drilled out the slots on the front grip aluminum piece to make it look similar to the sight rail slots ?

It has crossed my mind. But as of yet I have not done it.

kevdupuis
10-03-2015, 06:52 AM
I think 04 was the last year that the Ule pro came with the fore grip extender and sight rail, I actually still have a nib Ule pro from 04, only ever opened it to check the contents.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa125/kevdupuis/paintball/brass013-1.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/kevdupuis/media/paintball/brass013-1.jpg.html)
Looking at it the six fore grip screws are for function while the sight rail screws are there to balance the looks.

rickenbacker22
10-14-2015, 08:29 PM
nice find! Has anyone ever thought of making the sight at a 45 degree angle, to make it useful? because most rt sights, the ball feed is in the way. Got the idea from surefire tactical, they have a 45 degree sight for close quarters.

rickenbacker22
10-14-2015, 08:30 PM
So u have a nice super clean automag u never use?

Spider-TW
10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
nice find! Has anyone ever thought of making the sight at a 45 degree angle, to make it useful? because most rt sights, the ball feed is in the way. Got the idea from surefire tactical, they have a 45 degree sight for close quarters.

Any optical or occluded sight will look over the power feed with the RT Pro or RT classic sight rail. I tend to not look thru a sight anyway, unless it is too fat to use with both eyes.

vintage
10-15-2015, 08:23 PM

i've got a brand new in box rt classic sitting here myself.

1985phenom
10-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Who does that!? :)

Does Tuna still sell classic RTs?

vintage
10-16-2015, 04:51 AM

were getting off topic here but i almost bought a nib minimag on ebay a few weeks ago.

Spider-TW
10-16-2015, 09:39 AM

Right?

Tuna did have some of the late model RT Classic rails. If you can catch an XMT body, you could build a "new" marker up around a valve.

There is such a thing as carbon fiber U-channel...would I want a CF foregrip mount for my RT? Hmmmmmmmmmm

GoatBoy
10-16-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm sure the history is pretty tangled. This is mostly conjecture so I'm sure someone will jump in and tell me I'm wrong.

The original single-hole foregrip relied on the rail's dovetail or whatever to prevent twisting.

If you lose that from the rail, then you have to find some other way to prevent rotation.

They could have implemented something else, but assuming that the sight rail mechanism was already a foregone conclusion... then what's good for the sight rail is good for the foregrip as well. I figure cost has to be a part of the equation -- "Look, we're already doing this, so just do it 6 more times."

And possibly more specious -- you can remove the foregrip without having to remove the body, which was a shortcoming of the other way.

kevdupuis
10-17-2015, 06:45 AM

I hate to say it, but I have a few old mags still in the box.