View Full Version : My warpless Rotor project

wingbatwu
10-17-2015, 10:08 AM
so far so good
edit: does this work better?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8439028@N07/22060508189/

going_home
10-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Is it just me, the link doesn't work for me ?

Just copy and paste the file.

;)

knownothingmags
10-17-2015, 12:13 PM
you think someone could 3d print a top with all that integrated just into the top to do the same thing?

wingbatwu
10-17-2015, 12:18 PM
^^Most probably. All I did was drill a hole and aligned a tube with the spinning parts of a BoxRotor, that totally are compatible with a regular Rotor.

knownothingmags
10-17-2015, 01:16 PM
^^Most probably. All I did was drill a hole and aligned a tube with the spinning parts of a BoxRotor, that totally are compatible with a regular Rotor.
oh ok.

zondo
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
pics of the inside!

what are you mounting this on?

wingbatwu
10-17-2015, 02:50 PM
pics of the inside!

what are you mounting this on?

I'm working on a skeleton buttstock for it.

wingbatwu
10-17-2015, 04:08 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5780/22242980472_cd1577b3b9_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/662/21633044104_11f5093f14_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/611/21634762643_7003abde90_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5637/22068993689_5d0b54a749_b.jpg

SummaryJudgement
10-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Wow, looks really, really clean!

What's the capacity when it's all said and done? Good job!

Syko89
10-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Nice work. I was going to do the same thing but couldn't get my hands on the box rotor parts

zulubravo44
10-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Ditto... the only parts available from manufacturer are the lids and clips, none of the internals. Did you pick up a used/broken box mag? That seems like an expensive way to go about the project...

wingbatwu
10-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Ditto... the only parts available from manufacturer are the lids and clips, none of the internals. Did you pick up a used/broken box mag? That seems like an expensive way to go about the project...

I already owned a DAM and the boxrotor

zulubravo44
10-27-2015, 07:49 AM
It'd probably result in a lawsuit, but there might be more than a handful (like 15, tops) of people that would be interested in buying that BoxRotor paddle fixture.

I wonder if DYE would sell them.

going_home
10-27-2015, 12:38 PM
It'd probably result in a lawsuit, but there might be more than a handful (like 15, tops) of people that would be interested in buying that BoxRotor paddle fixture.

I wonder if DYE would sell them.

Are you paying attention here 3D printer guy ?

(Knownothingmags)

zulubravo44
10-27-2015, 01:21 PM

(Knownothingmags)

i was hoping he was. i think accurately re-drawing the rotor mechanism as a single part would be a real adventure though.

maniacmechanic
10-28-2015, 01:37 PM
checkin on parts

OK these parts are semi available , how many are interested ??
The center arm ( red part ) is available ,, the 8ball carrier ( black part ) he doesn't have here , he is checking to see if the factory has any on the shelf ( if they don't it would be 30 to 45 day wait till the next run of parts )
looks like cost would be ( very approximate ) about 25$
I'm a DYE dealer and can order these
While I was talkin to Chris about these pts & the box rotor , he was sayin they made the box roter's motor a little bigger due to the fact it was workin harder pushin the paint ,, so we may see a shorter motor life on the ones we convert

Syko89
10-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Me

knownothingmags
10-28-2015, 04:52 PM

(Knownothingmags)

low an behold my printer is running again, just in time to start reading this thread again.
would need to just design a good shell to work with this. so you don't have to hurt your stock top shell.

could just get me the box rotor internals and I can cad everything up and then we can make the parts or a mechanism the way we would need it.
such as a taylor made to the user.

UncleStasiu
10-28-2015, 05:47 PM
I'm definitely interested.

knownothingmags
10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
checkin on parts

OK these parts are semi available , how many are interested ??
The center arm ( red part ) is available ,, the 8ball carrier ( black part ) he doesn't have here , he is checking to see if the factory has any on the shelf ( if they don't it would be 30 to 45 day wait till the next run of parts )
looks like cost would be ( very approximate ) about 25$
I'm a DYE dealer and can order these
While I was talkin to Chris about these pts & the box rotor , he was sayin they made the box roter's motor a little bigger due to the fact it was workin harder pushin the paint ,, so we may see a shorter motor life on the ones we convert
the plug in my dye dam how much would that cost to replace.
the tech guys gave me some bad advice I think and now my stock wont fit on it. :(

Syko89
10-29-2015, 04:15 AM
How does the rotor activate? I seem to remember someone doing a tube off the bottom up to a feedneck and it fed up no problem but it wouldn't detect the firing. Hopefully you either prove this not the case or find a way around it

maniacmechanic
10-29-2015, 06:24 AM
the plug in my dye dam how much would that cost to replace.
the tech guys gave me some bad advice I think and now my stock wont fit on it. :(

Not sure what plug your refering to , but if its available I can get it

maniacmechanic
10-29-2015, 06:26 AM
How does the rotor activate? I seem to remember someone doing a tube off the bottom up to a feedneck and it fed up no problem but it wouldn't detect the firing. Hopefully you either prove this not the case or find a way around it

Roters work off ball stack psi , no eyes , sound or vibration

knownothingmags
10-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Not sure what plug your refering to , but if its available I can get it

the one that is covered by the stock to stock air from escaping.

zulubravo44
10-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Roters work off ball stack psi , no eyes , sound or vibration

would the vertical stack above the rotor increase the ball stack psi to the point that it wouldn't spin? i suppose you'd have to turn the spin threshold way up, no?

maniacmechanic
10-30-2015, 06:04 PM
would the vertical stack above the rotor increase the ball stack psi to the point that it wouldn't spin? i suppose you'd have to turn the spin threshold way up, no?

My rep from DYE said the motor in the box rotors are bigger because they are pushing up ,, is stack psi adjustable ??

Syko89
10-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Wingbatwu have you tried it on a marker yet. From the video it looks like it just needs to be mounted up. I have been doing a bunch of warpless halos but stayed away from the rotor because couldn't get parts and was unsure if it would keep feeding once the initial ball stack was pushed up. Hope you can prove this wrong

wingbatwu
11-01-2015, 10:27 PM
I've been busy with non-paintball stuff, but I will try to do a mock up of the stock I d like to mount it on. I have pretty much everything i need, it s just a matter of doing some metal work n cuts

Justus
06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Any news on this? The Rotor was by far my favorite loader, but unable to be made warpless (until now?)

blackdeath1k
06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Stack height is fairly adjustable. And pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to make it function at even stiffer thresholds. As for the motor. That's replaceable as well. So I'd say if the box rotor parts are a direct swap this could be the cleanest warpless setup going. I'll not try it though since I'm just not a fan of the side mount hopper.

barkingspider
06-03-2016, 11:30 PM
I'm interested in knowing where this ended up? I thought I remember people talking about mocking up a new printed parts so cutting is minimized.

tbaggin
06-11-2016, 02:09 AM
with loguzzzzs new mounts, id be down for one of these, i have a spare rotor id cut up all day

Justus
06-13-2016, 03:31 PM
It looks like the warp tube needs to be fixed inside the lid to stay over top of the red paddle, since it turns. Is that the case?

barkingspider
08-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Ive tried hunting down the box rotor parts needed to make this great idea, but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have leads or access to dye parts?

I can't get due to respond to inquries

tucson.az.jbreen
02-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Did you by chance test to see if the hopper would feed the gun consistently with out modification?

I'm thinking hopper totally stock, no mods, mounted with the proper bracket and a feed tube to the gun.

I'm kinda scared to cut up my rotor, by at the same time I fear the effort required to use a q loader, the alternative.

Thanks,
Jim

Eddie9195
02-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Did you by chance test to see if the hopper would feed the gun consistently with out modification?

I'm thinking hopper totally stock, no mods, mounted with the proper bracket and a feed tube to the gun.

I'm kinda scared to cut up my rotor, by at the same time I fear the effort required to use a q loader, the alternative.

Thanks,
Jim

This is what I am going to be trying to do. I haven't gotten everything set up to try it out yet though. I was going to order a higher torque motor and install it into the hopper and see if it will work.

I would like to get the Box Rotor parts though, that seems like it would be a nice way to go.

knownothingmags
02-18-2017, 07:48 PM
if someone gets me the top shell for the rotor,
i could try to cad one that doesnt have to be hacked up, i print it and you put it on your rotor, and boom warpless rotor.

blackdeath1k
02-18-2017, 09:13 PM
if someone gets me the top shell for the rotor,
i could try to cad one that doesnt have to be hacked up, i print it and you put it on your rotor, and boom warpless rotor.

I'm not in on this project but I'm also not needing my rotor for a couple of months. I don't care to send the top piece out for blueprinting if there is anyone that wants to cover shipping each way.

barkingspider
02-19-2017, 06:37 PM
I think I have the standard shell top as well that I'm not using. I have the extended capacity on my rotor currently, so the standard tip is in my spare parts bucket. Not sure if you need the lid and ext, but I can send the plan top without the lid. Since it's sitting I can send without worrying to much with time frame as long as I do get it back.

going_home
02-19-2017, 08:19 PM
He'd probably need the lid to make sure it fits ok on the new printed part.

knownothingmags
02-19-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm not in on this project but I'm also not needing my rotor for a couple of months. I don't care to send the top piece out for blueprinting if there is anyone that wants to cover shipping each way.

i might be set but ill keep it in mind.

barkingspider
02-28-2017, 11:40 PM
I can send a complete lid/top, although I think you have it already covered. Let me know if this is of interest to you.

I'm excited to see this done, especially on the design end. I was thinking more about the feed port that will arise out of the lid and how it connects to the internal paddle (red piece) from box rotor. As previously mentioned, the paddles spin which make it a critical point since much is dependent on stack psi. I was invisioning a portion of the internal lid contains a sleeve oriented directly above the spinning paddles in the printed lid. This would allow flexibility in tolerances and allow the user to insert a cut 10rd tube to precise length without touching the paddles. Anyhow, I'm excited to see this come to life.

captian pinky
03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
why not just 3d print the piece that holds the lid on and a diagram of here to the the existing shell to make it fit. instead of doing a whole new top.

knownothingmags
03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
why not just 3d print the piece that holds the lid on and a diagram of here to the the existing shell to make it fit. instead of doing a whole new top.
because I can make a top that has no mods or cutting all the plumbing is articulated. ;)

barkingspider
03-26-2017, 10:00 PM
I have my parts ready, let me know if you need some testing...wink wink

knownothingmags
03-26-2017, 10:05 PM
I have a few projects. But if you are in town it makes conversation easier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

barkingspider
03-27-2017, 10:28 PM
I have a few projects. But if you are in town it makes conversation easier

Unfortunately I'm not In town, maybe next year for a pheasant hunt. I do understand your busy with life and projects. I'll raise a glass in hopes of taking a couple of these off your hands in the near future.

knownothingmags
03-27-2017, 10:30 PM
I can travel, remind me in a pm where you are. I'll meet time

barkingspider
07-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Fingers crossed while breathing life into this thread...........

knownothingmags
11-03-2017, 03:42 PM
hey so how did you get the balls to feed up instead of down. ur pics confuse me some.
im not at home so I don't have my rotor in front of me.

captian pinky
11-03-2017, 04:12 PM
he is using the red and black pieces from a box mag. instead of pushing the paint down it pulls it up then he just made the tubing.

knownothingmags
11-03-2017, 04:30 PM
he is using the red and black pieces from a box mag. instead of pushing the paint down it pulls it up then he just made the tubing.

damn how do I get just those pieces

barkingspider
11-04-2017, 07:13 PM
I called dye and they sold me the parts. I ordered everything minus the battery pack in the second folder.

https://i.imgur.com/UwQq0Gx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kzgbyQW.jpg

jade_monkey07
11-04-2017, 08:00 PM
I called dye and they sold me the parts. I ordered everything minus the battery pack in the second folder.

https://i.imgur.com/UwQq0Gx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kzgbyQW.jpgWhat did it run You?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

barkingspider
11-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I think it was around $36, but that was 8 months ago.....my memory isn’t so sharp these days

knownothingmags
11-04-2017, 11:15 PM
ill be ordering what i need then.
woop. this should be interesting.

barkingspider
11-05-2017, 11:02 AM
I can send you what I have if that is easier?

barkingspider
11-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Found my receipt from Dye, keep in mind I ordered two of each part

https://i.imgur.com/dXe44TD.jpg

knownothingmags
11-05-2017, 11:31 AM
perfect. thank you.
ill see what kinda bulk buy i can get done for those parts.

Justus
11-12-2017, 08:50 PM
I ordered parts a couple years back too. Just got in my LT-R this weekend. You only need the red center-feed arm and the black cage that goes on top of it. You don't need any other parts. I ordered just those two things and, IIRC, I think it was something like $17 shipped to my house from DYE. You do have to call them directly though. No place online seems to sell those repair/replacement parts.

Those parts are literally drop-in mods to make the Rotor feed upwards, and I tested it with reballs for awhile this evening. As far as 3D printing the mods to the shell, you may be able to just print a "color change kit" if the necessary feed hole in the upper shell fits completely below the main piece in the color change kit. That way people could just drill a hole under their color kit and it would be completely covered if they wanted to go back to the standard setup. I'm not sure a 1" hole would fit completely under the color change kit at the correct spot though.

knownothingmags
11-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Yeah I saw that when the parts came in. I'll have to get the black cage I missed on ordering that.
Working on the new top now

Justus
11-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Awesome! This project is still the most interesting to me because I love warpfed markers but hate the weight of a warpfeed. My warpless Z3 is working for me, but the Rotor is still my favorite loader by far.

knownothingmags
11-21-2017, 09:07 PM
working on the damn shape for the top shell to seat to the bottom shell.
i need my other printer up in this second office so i dont have to keep running down to the basement office where everything else is :rofl:

Justus
11-22-2017, 04:00 PM
It really shouldn't be too much of a problem to take out the internals and then go through the bottom of the loader with a 1" drill bit into the top shell. That gets you perfect placement of the hole for when you drop in the box rotor parts (and it may even be able to be completely covered up by an unmodified/undrilled "color kit"). I'm just still deciding on what to use as the vertical pipe, and how to fix it in place to the upper shell to keep it from moving and messing up the alignment with the vertical feed spout from the box rotor parts. I'm thinking maybe a piece of super-warp-hose with a coating of epoxy, maybe...

By the way, I bought a hi-cap shell specifically for this mod. I'm not too worried about messing up the top shell. When I modded the Prophecy Z2 there was much more at risk in terms of cutting and drilling parts, lol

knownothingmags
11-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah, I get what you are saying. I was just going to design a shell so you don't have to drill. It will just have the tube in it already

barkingspider
11-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Oh yeah, I get what you are saying. I was just going to design a shell so you don't have to drill. It will just have the tube in it already

:clap:

Justus
11-24-2017, 10:58 AM

A high-cap shell? One of those to offset the paintball displacement of the internal feed tube would be great.

knownothingmags
11-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Yeah. Working on it. That's what I was thinking anyways

Gabehcoud
12-01-2017, 11:25 PM
I need this. @knownothingmags, quit your day job and just do this. Also should it be expected that there would be a decrease in feed speed? My mag is a hungry beast when i rapid fire it. Could you potentially fit the box rotor motor in there or is there not enough room? You know what actually just redisign a whole shell whe re you can fit a box rotor motor in there plus be warpless feed and sell the design to dye, of course after we get our beta test prototype models that is.

knownothingmags
12-01-2017, 11:27 PM
It's just two box rotor replacement pieces. That direct things upward.
I'll test with a 1200 psi st before I release.

I still need to make sure I can end up doing this. I'm getting there.

Gabehcoud
12-02-2017, 08:38 AM
It's just two box rotor replacement pieces. That direct things upward.
I'll test with a 1200 psi st before I release.

I still need to make sure I can end up doing this. I'm getting there.

Well I know it's just the 8 ball and the feed arm and I am willing to do my own hack job on my rotor shell but I would rather have a nice clean look

hardercarder
04-02-2018, 11:44 AM
is there any news on this topic maybe some new pics that work? please!

barkingspider
04-06-2018, 02:20 PM
KNM - not to beat a dead horse. I've followed your response and progress on your other thread with having to redesign a whole hopper build around the guts of rotor/box mag. As I look back at wingbatwu's original posting of his modification. What are your thoughts around making the adapting piece printed from the "top carrier" trim piece that mounts to the rotor top and attaches to the lid of the rotor. I've linked the piece from ANS showing the top carrier as a accessory that comes in different colors for people to interchange. It appears that his modified brass elbow penetrates the hopper top through the area where the lid carrier is attached to the top of the rotor by 5 screws. Without truly knowing the difficulty or ease of my question, I wonder if a printed lid carrier maybe a practical answer? This new printed lid carrier would still utilize the mounting screws attachment points of the top of the rotor. The part that would need to be printed would contain a printed conduit/tube that hovers over the internal parts of the rotary assembly from the box mag and carries a specified trajectory out the top placing the exit behind the lid hinge. Since this rotary assembly rotates/spins some relative accuracy would need to be accomplished where it sits above the assembly but provides a close connection where the path of the balls can enter and be channeled out the top of the lid carrier. The portion of printed conduit/tube could terminate outside of the top of the cover behind the lid (near where the dye emblem is placed in the linked color kit from ANS) with some type of flange to match the ID of common qloader/warp feed tubing. This approach would require a hole to be placed directly behind the hinge of the rotor lid of the top shell, which would be fairly simple to drill/dremel for the end user. It would be quit simple to install since its utilizing the same mounting screws for the lid top and the hinge of the lid attachment joint. Thinking out loud, it appears to be a feasible solution built off of wingbatwu's design without having to create from scratch? Ideally, this would allow a simple mount of the printed part through the same manor that his design produced results, just looking a little cleaner with printed parts. I hope you can understand what I described above, and again just a thought.

https://www.ansgear.com/Dye_LTR_Color_Kit_Black_p/dyeltrcolorkit-blk.htm

knownothingmags
04-06-2018, 02:42 PM
KNM - not to beat a dead horse. I've followed your response and progress on your other thread with having to redesign a whole hopper build around the guts of rotor/box mag. As I look back at wingbatwu's original posting of his modification. What are your thoughts around making the adapting piece printed from the "top carrier" trim piece that mounts to the rotor top and attaches to the lid of the rotor. I've linked the piece from ANS showing the top carrier as a accessory that comes in different colors for people to interchange. It appears that his modified brass elbow penetrates the hopper top through the area where the lid carrier is attached to the top of the rotor by 5 screws. Without truly knowing the difficulty or ease of my question, I wonder if a printed lid carrier maybe a practical answer? This new printed lid carrier would still utilize the mounting screws attachment points of the top of the rotor. The part that would need to be printed would contain a printed conduit/tube that hovers over the internal parts of the rotary assembly from the box mag and carries a specified trajectory out the top placing the exit behind the lid hinge. Since this rotary assembly rotates/spins some relative accuracy would need to be accomplished where it sits above the assembly but provides a close connection where the path of the balls can enter and be channeled out the top of the lid carrier. The portion of printed conduit/tube could terminate outside of the top of the cover behind the lid (near where the dye emblem is placed in the linked color kit from ANS) with some type of flange to match the ID of common qloader/warp feed tubing. This approach would require a hole to be placed directly behind the hinge of the rotor lid of the top shell, which would be fairly simple to drill/dremel for the end user. It would be quit simple to install since its utilizing the same mounting screws for the lid top and the hinge of the lid attachment joint. Thinking out loud, it appears to be a feasible solution built off of wingbatwu's design without having to create from scratch? Ideally, this would allow a simple mount of the printed part through the same manor that his design produced results, just looking a little cleaner with printed parts. I hope you can understand what I described above, and again just a thought.

https://www.ansgear.com/Dye_LTR_Color_Kit_Black_p/dyeltrcolorkit-blk.htm

this is great input ill look into what I have here and throw something together. I know exactly what you are saying to do.
I have a few thoughts, I my run into some troubles. but nothing that taking the time to look at it wont hurt.
this is a great way of looking at things.
at this moment in time im not able to absorb all of your text right now (at work) so ill take a look at it again later tonight when I get home.
***edit, I get exactly what are saying. ill throw something in my thread later, I totally didn't see I was in his thread. I don't want to distract from what has been accomplished here.

GEE TEE
03-25-2019, 04:45 PM
Was much progress made on this rotor conversion in the end?

knownothingmags
03-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Was much progress made on this rotor conversion in the end?Office and household remodel had it so I shelved what I was working on

jaguarshark
04-15-2021, 06:14 PM
I've been following this thread and I've found rockstartactical dot com sells the box rotor parts necessary to feed upwards. However I'm having trouble getting enough push from the motor to shove balls through a hose into the gun's feed. Gonna try to order the motor for the box rotor and see if that gives it the added muscle.