PDA

View Full Version : Yo dawg i herd u liek...

GoatBoy
12-20-2015, 03:52 AM
A little preview for the good little boys and girls of AO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5Qq2AmoD8

Printed in red because it helps hide the blood.

You guys ever get the impression that I can't stand playing with hoppers?

going_home
12-20-2015, 04:00 AM
You need to bring that contraption to Dreaded Legends next month.

Friday is mag fed day.

:)

river031403
12-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Sick

GoatBoy
12-20-2015, 01:01 PM
You need to bring that contraption to Dreaded Legends next month.

Friday is mag fed day.

:)

Ah, but you see, therein lies the rub.

The rules are arbitrary, and some would consider this gun to not be "magfed". And they would certainly not consider the way I would use this system "magfed".

Don't look at me; I'm not part of that crowd and never will be.

Needless to say it wouldn't do to travel half the country just to be subject to some capricious ruling entity.

I prefer playing in open rules anyways.

blackdeath1k
12-20-2015, 02:17 PM
That is pretty sweet. I've looked at box rotors and thought about milling a mount for one. They are just so expensive

going_home
12-20-2015, 02:52 PM
I asked about using a spring feed on mag fed day and got approval.

Picked up a BT SA-17, if I go for Friday I'll use it or the Sydarm.

The SA-17 is a pretty cool pistol once I picked up a dummy CO2 12 grammy and made it constant air.

;)

barkingspider
12-20-2015, 05:08 PM
That looks awesome! Nice job.....very ingenious design and use of parts. Is this something you're going to print and sell?

knownothingmags
12-20-2015, 06:14 PM
you are killing me.
every time I see your stuff.
I want to start making again.

but I cant.
I don't have my printers

GoatBoy
12-20-2015, 06:36 PM
That looks awesome! Nice job.....very ingenious design and use of parts. Is this something you're going to print and sell?

Nah not going to sell these. Going to release it as public (partially because it is chewing up a large chunk of my free space on Onshape). Trying to figure out the best way to attach a license in Onshape. Doesn't seem like they thought this aspect through very well.

Also bear in mind this requires a warp left classic mag and a matching barrel adapter... so just like everything else it kind of fits into my "system".

Stedspitcher
12-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Lol, very cool man....btw, good seeing you at the field yesterday. They actually allowed us to play on the same team Lolol

captian pinky
12-21-2015, 02:40 PM
is it expoxied in place?
any mounting screws?
you mentioned that it needed a warpleft body but would a hopper right powerfeed body work?

Nobody
12-21-2015, 05:45 PM
is it expoxied in place?
any mounting screws?
you mentioned that it needed a warpleft body but would a hopper right powerfeed body work?

I think, bow it looks is, the piece fits in the warp hole, and is possibly sandwiched between the body and rail. Thus not requiring any extra screws to secure it. But the progenitor will have to chime in on exacting details.

But for mag fed, what ever floats your boat. Many things in this game are not for everyone. I am fine with the 200rnd hopper, yet love to dump paint when i can. I love to shoot. So if it works for you, so be it.

GoatBoy
12-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Lol, very cool man....btw, good seeing you at the field yesterday. They actually allowed us to play on the same team Lolol

Yarly!

Saturday was awesome, but I paid the price:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kq0T_svT_II/Vnhl3hophHI/AAAAAAAAIU4/WK7bulfNM38/w530-h298-p-rw/15%2B-%2B1

DE AGONY OF DE FEET!

Still getting the the videos uploaded; it's like 5 straight games of me being a failure, including 1 game where I am hand-loading paint into my q-loader socket at the 50.

Design:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fYl6zXs7zPU/VniLrEHVLlI/AAAAAAAAIVU/zL8pQBV7Lew/s720-Ic42/Screenshot_2015-12-21-17-32-05.png

The cowl doesn't actually fit into the "warp hole", but extends into the warp cutout in the rail. That's what prevents it from sliding in the axial direction. I also put an inner ring in there to pass a zip tie through, and that's what secures it to the body; probably hard to see in the video because I used a red one. The zip tie goes all around the body/rail/gripframe and sits right in front of the front grip frame screw so it's actually pretty out-of-the-way. No screws anywhere except for the mag release mostly because I'm lazy. Hence the strapping tape to hold the 2 halves together. No epoxy. Splitting it in two makes it WAY easier to print with FFF.

This won't work with anything with a feedneck on it, or any ULE bodies with that big square section around the chamber.

Not to say it can't be made to work with other body types, but it won't come from me.

I'd say the design is mostly feature complete except for 2 more (possibly mutually exclusive) things I want to add. When I was playing with the detents in the cocker adapter, I noticed that the shape I used also functioned pretty well as a one-way valve. So I want to add a detent in there to prevent the balls that are already in the feed path from falling back out when I change mags (expecially for a mid-mag change), which is kind of a pet peeve with me.

The other thing I want to add is a view window to see paint status in that feed path, but unfortunately that would sit right where I want my detent. :(

going_home
12-21-2015, 09:39 PM
You twist that left ankle ?

That looks like at least a month and a half of limping to me.....

GoatBoy
12-22-2015, 12:28 AM
You twist that left ankle ?

That looks like at least a month and a half of limping to me.....

Yeah I got a lot of limping ahead of me. It's a wonder I made it through the day; laced my boot up good and tight around it.

The sad part is it didn't happen in the field.

I sprained it just walking back out to my car, because I FORGOT HOW TO PARKING LOT (http://www.mandatory.com/2013/06/18/i-forgot-how-to-a-hilarious-meme-collection/).

So uh... back on the part. Since putting a viewing window is going to be kind of inconvenient, I think I'm going to try printing the entire back half with transparent filament. Transparent isn't really transparent, depending on how you print it, but it might just be transparent enough for me to look inside and see what's going on. I'm already splitting the part to make printing easier, so I might as well make use of that "feature".

knownothingmags: you have any advice for printing with transparent filament to get the best optical clarity? 100% infill?

knownothingmags
12-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Yeah I got a lot of limping ahead of me. It's a wonder I made it through the day; laced my boot up good and tight around it.

The sad part is it didn't happen in the field.

I sprained it just walking back out to my car, because I FORGOT HOW TO PARKING LOT (http://www.mandatory.com/2013/06/18/i-forgot-how-to-a-hilarious-meme-collection/).

So uh... back on the part. Since putting a viewing window is going to be kind of inconvenient, I think I'm going to try printing the entire back half with transparent filament. Transparent isn't really transparent, depending on how you print it, but it might just be transparent enough for me to look inside and see what's going on. I'm already splitting the part to make printing easier, so I might as well make use of that "feature".

knownothingmags: you have any advice for printing with transparent filament to get the best optical clarity? 100% infill?
I had a temperature table to get the clearest print, I had to do the math myself to create the table.
I have no idea where that table is.
temperature has a small amount to do with clarity.
and then the manufacture has a lot to do with it.

play with it, do some test prints.
try tglass maybe? ive never printed with it yet though so I have no idea on it.

vintage
12-22-2015, 05:39 PM
i could get into this.

GoatBoy
12-22-2015, 06:47 PM
I had a temperature table to get the clearest print, I had to do the math myself to create the table.
I have no idea where that table is.
temperature has a small amount to do with clarity.
and then the manufacture has a lot to do with it.

play with it, do some test prints.
try tglass maybe? ive never printed with it yet though so I have no idea on it.

Yeah... screw it I'm going to leave that feature off the table for the time being. I think I can get away with just a 2mm piece of acrylic as the view window somewhere later down the line.

knownothingmags
12-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Yeah... screw it I'm going to leave that feature off the table for the time being. I think I can get away with just a 2mm piece of acrylic as the view window somewhere later down the line.

you can print the window into it, capture the acrylic

GoatBoy
01-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Too much work for the acrylic stuff for the time being. Good idea though.

So I was testing the magmagwell this weekend and also experimenting with a brand new way to play paintball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8Jk1nkF-c

The thing worked great except for one thing: I chuff twice, both on the 10th shot out of the magazine. I was expecting this but hoping it wouldn't manifest. But it looks like I should address it.

It's not really the adapter's fault, as the next picture illustrates:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fmHwbAi6FSw/Votmat6BodI/AAAAAAAAIXM/S2nU0Ewkeis/s720-Ic42/20160105_003413.jpg

The follower is curved, which is usually good, but in some situations, it actually locks the last round into the curve instead of pushing it through.

It's not a huge deal; I have 3 possible solutions to this, none of which are mutually exclusive (so I could hit it with all 3 if I want), but just something to adjust in the next revision.

Otherwise everything works about as well as can be expected -- including the anti-dropout detent. I still lose 1 ball in a mid-mag change because my path geometry isn't exactly correct (fixable but I don't think I will bother), but in testing that 1 ball drops and clears completely out of the way and poses no threat. That still leaves 1 in the chamber and 1 in the pipe which will get stopped from rolling out if I do tilt the gun the other way while reloading.

Also going to make a speedloader to reduce fumbling...

Stedspitcher
01-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Was able to shoot this setup this past Saturday and I must say pretty dang cool!

going_home
01-07-2016, 07:33 AM
The unknown comic has made a comeback !

Wheres the gong ?

Menace_AO
01-09-2016, 11:31 PM
How did I miss this?

This is stupid-cool.

GoatBoy
01-10-2016, 06:54 PM
I DUNNO HOW DID U MISS THIS?!

Modifying the Mk IV feed path was pretty easy, as it was a ... circle swept over a path to begin with.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XGjm1O3ytWw/VpLRaK3zkjI/AAAAAAAAIYA/tpx10bCuC_s/s640-Ic42/Screenshot_2016-01-08-15-05-25.png

The original was a "normal" feed path that took a ball-sized radius right angle turn.

I just made the radius much larger (not unlike what the parabolic plugs do), so that the ball starts turning inward as soon as it leaves the magazine.

That seems to do just the trick. Squishy high-friction reballs still get stuck, but regular paint pops right over the pusher. No chuffs on the 10th shot out of any of my mags today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYvGfbGzjZs

Also found out what happens if you pull the trigger while a magazine is disengaged -- the blowback is strong enough to knock both remaining rounds right past the magwell gate. So... probably don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary.

Spider-TW
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Goatboy, going to the triple play at Petty's next week?

GoatBoy
01-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Goatboy, going to the triple play at Petty's next week?

MMmmmm... kind of on the fence right now. I'm still letting my ankle heal, so no playing in any case. But if event managers allow me to fly my quadrotor out there and get a little game footage, I might drop by.

Are you playing? (What team?) I think I know quite a few people on Red.

Spider-TW
01-11-2016, 10:38 PM
MMmmmm... kind of on the fence right now. I'm still letting my ankle heal, so no playing in any case. But if event managers allow me to fly my quadrotor out there and get a little game footage, I might drop by.

Are you playing? (What team?) I think I know quite a few people on Red.

We would walk-on and I haven't talked to anyone about it. I see a team on each color I could hang out with. I need to go to Taylor, Friday, so if the weather's decent I'll make a weekend of it. If you offer them some of the footage, they ought to cooperate. I need to try out my spring feed mag pistol (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/283016-cowboy-alien-screwed-poo.html) and just play in general. I've missed the last few months. My son has been printing some quad copter frames and such. Hopefully he will make it also.

GoatBoy
01-12-2016, 03:18 AM
We would walk-on and I haven't talked to anyone about it. I see a team on each color I could hang out with. I need to go to Taylor, Friday, so if the weather's decent I'll make a weekend of it. If you offer them some of the footage, they ought to cooperate. I need to try out my spring feed mag pistol (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/283016-cowboy-alien-screwed-poo.html#post3222709) and just play in general. I've missed the last few months. My son has been printing some quad copter frames and such. Hopefully he will make it also.

OK the mobile version of this forum is awful and mistakes editing posts for deleting them.

Anyways, hadn't seen that one. Interesting idea with the feed made of angle metal. Had an idea about the plug but I don't think it would work. I like the spring mechanism.

We'll have to see about the weekend, already emailed them about the quadcopter.

GoatBoy
01-19-2016, 05:19 AM
Another variant...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dS2VmcqPjfU/Vp4MWPpdhAI/AAAAAAAAIio/EdsDGaQix1c/s912-Ic42/20160119_040744.jpg

knownothingmags
01-19-2016, 09:06 AM
I don't like it.
start over

:P

Spider-TW
01-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Are those printed first strikes?

GoatBoy
01-19-2016, 06:03 PM
The green ones are. They're good enough for feed testing; the model is on Thingiverse although it may need to be scaled a little depending on printer to get it to the exact right size. They're more durable than the red commercial ones which are pretty fragile.

Anyways, it's kind of stupid how easy it is to draw these magwells. The hard part of these projects, as I've mentioned, isn't the magazine part -- it's having the right body to start off with in the first place.

Most of my time was spent figuring out the mag release. I agonized over this and then just finally took the spring out of a clicky pen and used that to reset the release.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FrZtL-8RZ9s/Vp3Qor1KUdI/AAAAAAAAIiE/AUqQ0nz4BKQ/w530-h848-p-rw/16%2B-%2B1

The idea was I wanted the mag release to be actuated by my thumb. Which meant moving it to the "back" of the housing.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Tippmann folks, because their Model 98 adapter's mag release doesn't seem to match human anatomy. It's more like... if you had a dew claw, maybe that button release on top would make sense.

GoatBoy
01-24-2016, 11:56 PM
And uh, while I'm just randomly drawing Zeta magwells on stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nvkKqNJgk

I had been playing with this idea in my head for a while, then I saw one of Haz Mat's videos and decided to give the idea a try.

going_home
01-25-2016, 05:24 AM
What gun is that ?

GoatBoy
01-25-2016, 03:11 PM
What gun is that ?

It's the Patent Pending NoGun (tm).

Actually it's a Q-loader pod with a Zetamag speedloader. Which implies 2 things:

1. It's pretty easy to print a totally custom mounting socket for a Q-loader.
2. A Q-loader is capable of reloading magazines in the field. Pretty sure I could do it one handed, because you know how I hates to put my gun down. This would probably be against MF rules, but F those guys.

And before anybody asks: 100rds = 5 Zetamags, or about 14 tru-feeds. Thinkaboutit.

GoatBoy
01-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Finally took ol' Side Feedy to the field for firing/feed testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbzpXw0zqs

Everything worked except for one thing, and again, it wasn't the adapter's fault. The Zetamag detents are a little too aggressive and need to be sanded a bit, else the very first round occasionally gets hung up on it, even at full deflection. Once that first round makes out out, the others pop out just fine. All this... tends to indicate to me that the Zetamags aren't extensively tested against FSR's. Not a surprise.

Only tested with 5 rds each because you know, money. But the real testing is when the mag is near empty, when the pusher spring is weakest.

This was the first time I'd ever opened up a TPX mag and looked at the innards. I found their detent spring mechanism... humorous. Kind of sad actually.

I was worried about the stock TPX spring feeding FSR's as they're a little soft, but they work just fine. Most of the time players try to compensate for poorly made equipment by simply using more force instead of fixing or using better equipment.

And speaking of excuses, most conversions like this mention that they have difficulty loading if they don't pre-load rounds into the gun before inserting the mag.

That's clearly not the case with mine -- I can insert a mag into an empty gun and fire off every shot (plungers extend enough to push the last round into the chamber) without problems.

Again these kinds of excuses are really just a result of poor design/execution.

knownothingmags
01-31-2016, 07:44 PM
where are you at, with no snow?
I want to test tooo. lol

GoatBoy
01-31-2016, 08:11 PM
where are you at, with no snow?
I want to test tooo. lol

Down south, bro. Down south.

Hey uh... what's your take on PETG filaments?

Parts like this printed in PLA are a little fragile, but PETG looks like it might just be good enough. It's hard to get a read on how it is as a filament though because some people say it's easier to print with, some say it's harder. I put a spool on order; if I can make it work on my Play... things might get interesting...

knownothingmags
01-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Down south, bro. Down south.

Hey uh... what's your take on PETG filaments?

Parts like this printed in PLA are a little fragile, but PETG looks like it might just be good enough. It's hard to get a read on how it is as a filament though because some people say it's easier to print with, some say it's harder. I put a spool on order; if I can make it work on my Play... things might get interesting...

I hear good things a lot.
I would try E3D edge material.

bowcycle
03-18-2016, 08:02 PM
I know Goat isn't planning on selling these, so I don't consider this hijacking, but I wanted you guys to see this cool adapter I just came across.

http://www.adnpaintball.com/purchase.html

They are universal TIPX mag adapters that just fit into any feedneck. That obviously won't work with first-strikes, but I'm going to get one, lop off the feedneck, drill out the top, and use the existing screw holes to see if it will work on a rifle mag setup.
I'm also pretty sure a little bit of fabrication could get this lined up perfectly with a warp body.
Enjoy.

blackdeath1k
03-18-2016, 08:17 PM
That is pretty cool.

BiNumber3
03-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Would you be able to modify a steel body and a barrel? if the bodies are too hard to find?

bowcycle
03-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Would you be able to modify a steel body and a barrel? if the bodies are too hard to find?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but on a different note:
if you had a body that had an offset vert feed on the left (hopper right pf body with the feed cut off and vert feed welded on), this should line up directly over the body. I don't know if there are any of those out there, but it would be sweet.

GoatBoy
03-19-2016, 08:45 PM
I know Goat isn't planning on selling these, so I don't consider this hijacking, but I wanted you guys to see this cool adapter I just came across.

http://www.adnpaintball.com/purchase.html

They are universal TIPX mag adapters that just fit into any feedneck. That obviously won't work with first-strikes, but I'm going to get one, lop off the feedneck, drill out the top, and use the existing screw holes to see if it will work on a rifle mag setup.
I'm also pretty sure a little bit of fabrication could get this lined up perfectly with a warp body.
Enjoy.

Ironically I've met and talked to the guy making these. Turns out we kind of coincidentally, independently have been doing a few similar things.

His stuff is intended to be much more durable than my 3d printed stuff.

As always, the devil's in the details of how you actually mount the thing to the body...