PDA

View Full Version : Automag rebuild/repair/tuning for hire?

Spazdoc
01-27-2016, 05:43 PM
So I have 'retired' from tournament ball and play recball every couple months with non-paintball friends. I usually lend out my reliable guns like the Evo's and Works, it is still work to check them at the field and optimize. Plus, it is not uncommon to have friends short stroke the guns or grab a core sample with the barrel during a bad dive, so I am shying away from lending my collector cockers anymore.

As a result, I have decided to pick up a couple mags for lending out as on-field use is easier. My brother also has a minimag, but it leaks and needs to be serviced. The only problem is that I have not had to tech one in almost 20 years and I just don't have the time to troubleshoot (60-80 hour/week job, 3 kids, obedience training for new puppy, etc).

I did not notice if anyone does this officially on my cursory search today - does anyone specifically do this one here (I saw references to Tunaman)? Just like customcockers, there are people ready to help, but I am happy to pay and I just want a go-to person where I can send the mag and get it tuned for use.

Thanks in advance.

captian pinky
01-27-2016, 05:48 PM
AGD, Tuna, Bigevil all of them do great work.

Tunaman
01-27-2016, 08:29 PM
I'd be happy to fix them up for you. Shoot me an email at tunaman5@verizon.net and I'll hook you up.

Spazdoc
01-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks Tuna. Will shoot you an email.

Spazdoc
02-28-2016, 08:50 AM
So I just picked up my first Micromag and happy with it. The only issue is that I am trying to reduce weight and would like to gut or replace the expansion chamber. I am having trouble pulling it and so before I scratch or damage anything, is there a breakdown or diagram for the expansion chamber?

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac206/squirts12/NewSale/20160215_161753_zpsf4chmykm.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/squirts12/media/NewSale/20160215_161753_zpsf4chmykm.jpg.html)

Basically I assume that it should unscrew from the vasa, removing the lower 3 sections and leaving only the hex-shaped vasa.

Cyco-Dude
02-28-2016, 09:17 AM
it should unscrew as one piece. you can't really "gut" it. if you want lighter weight, just replace it with a gas-through grip. or, you might get lucky and find a micromag gas-through foregrip, which would replace the vasa / expansion chamber that you have now.

JKR
02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
If black is your thing and you like it, you could replace the grip frame on there with a stock AGD carbon fiber frame. It would be lighter than your current frame but may not suit you if you prefer a .45 grip frame feel. Personally, I LOVE the feel of the AGD/WGP single hole frames with a nice rubber grip on them...have the grip on two Mags and my Sniper II.

Cyco-Dude
02-28-2016, 11:42 AM
If black is your thing and you like it, you could replace the grip frame on there with a stock AGD carbon fiber frame.
that depends on the sear pin used. if it's a threaded sear pin, then he could. if it's not, then he cannot, as the frame wings hold the sear pin in place.

Spazdoc
02-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the recs.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/Spazdoc/f2c8b76d-d120-4256-b992-231cd8b2837c_zps0dwgla1i.jpg (http://s109.photobucket.com/user/Spazdoc/media/f2c8b76d-d120-4256-b992-231cd8b2837c_zps0dwgla1i.jpg.html)

In regards to the expansion chamber, it swivels freely at the green arrow, but I am unable to separate.
I used a pipe wrench to try and unscrew it at the yellow arrow, but it will not unscrew. Same with the red arrow.

Do I need to remove the entire front grip with a hex key? Or could this be loctited? I feel like I am missing something.

Walker
02-28-2016, 12:35 PM
It should unscrew at the yellow arrow. Heat the joint up with a hair dryer and try the pipe wrench again. The only thing the heat can damage is the orings in the expansion chamber. Sometimes people use too much force putting these together, and the aluminum joints lock up.

Try to avoid damaging the part above the yellow arrow, they are hard to come by.

ANYTIME you encounter unusual resistance removing a screw on an older paintball gun, assume someone used red locktite, and resort to the hair dryer.

Good luck,

Walker

Cyco-Dude
02-28-2016, 08:31 PM
yea, the expansion chamber should simply unscrew from the vasa by hand at the yellow arrow. some people are clueless and muscle things on though. the red arrow is how you disassemble the expansion chamber itself.

paint magnet
03-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Does AGD not offer their "star" service any more? Classic Mags came with either 1,3, or 4 stars from the factory, each signifying a free rebuild then drilled off when it was used. I have never seen another gun (other than mine) that had a star drilled.

Tunaman
03-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Does AGD not offer their "star" service any more? Classic Mags came with either 1,3, or 4 stars from the factory, each signifying a free rebuild then drilled off when it was used. I have never seen another gun (other than mine) that had a star drilled.
They do not. "I" am their star service now.