PDA

View Full Version : Something neat but scarey!

Mango
02-27-2002, 07:16 PM
http://www.freedomship.com/index.html

Anyone see this thing??? Amazing, but strikes fear in the heart of any Counter-terrorist, law enforcement agency in the world. That thing will be one big, floating death trap.

Wang
02-27-2002, 07:34 PM
wow. that'd be kind of a neat place to work.

talls
02-27-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah it is a floating death trap, but think of what kind of operation it would take to overtake that. And even if some finatical group or country took it think of how impossible it would be to keep control. A mile long and twenty stories high would be an almost impossible thing to guard against. So a team or two of seals or delta force(even though I think seals would be called first) could easily board the ship and move around almost completly undetected. Put it this way...say you are a terrorist and take control of a building that is twenty stories high and covers a three block radius. If you are looking at camera monitors and trying to find a specific person or group of people it would be less than a needle in a haystack shot of ever seeing them. It would be a a nightmare to take the entire ship over much less to succesfully hold off any attempts to take it back.

With that said it would be a cool place to visit as long as it had a paintball field:D

MikeCouves
02-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Holy crap!! A mile long? I'll believe when it's actually floating by my province, seems a little farfetched to me right now.

CRiZO
02-27-2002, 08:37 PM
um... where do you park that thing? maybe there are just lotsa little boats, and that floats out in the ocean?

talls
02-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by CRiZO
um... where do you park that thing? maybe there are just lotsa little boats, and that floats out in the ocean?

haha that is actually exactly what I was thinking when I read it. And exactly what country built this, someone in Europe? Because I figured if it was around here it would be hightly publicized in the news and media.

CRiZO
02-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Actually it hasn't been built, I remember reading about it a few years ago... I don't know if its going to happen or not... If it did, imagine all that red tape. International gov't laws, maritine laws... the size of that stack of paper might equal the size of the boat

Mango
02-28-2002, 07:25 AM
I never said it was built. I said they are going to build it. Construction starts in April. They have sold over half the spaces avilibile too.

And who said anything about taking it over? All it would take is one terrorist group and a boat full of bombs, remember the USS Cole?? Im not saying terrorist groups are going to target it, and Im not saying it shouldnt be built, it is just one more concentrated target that will convienently be brought to them.

I still think it is really amazing and I would still visit the ship. :) It's just frieghtening at the same time, to think that there are sick people that would see that as a way to make a political statement.

wyn1370
02-28-2002, 07:28 AM
can you say titanic #2

personman
02-28-2002, 07:34 AM
titanic #2
:p :p
DARN that thing is gonna be HUGE!

freek133
02-28-2002, 09:10 AM
I wonder if there is a paintball feild on that?

the JoKeR
02-28-2002, 10:30 AM
If I remember correctly, it's a huge loophole for rich people to hide their income off-shore in some way, while being a way to cruise the world in your own "home". I'd be scared as hell about sinking, terrorist attacks, or strong weather systems, though.

giblit
02-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by wyn1370
can you say titanic #2

lenardo decrapio better get ready to do another movie about a ship going down :D

Mango
02-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Yes! Exactly my point guys! So im not the only one that thinks that way. shew. haha

personman
02-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Hehe, I e-mailed my dad and asked him if we could take our next cruise on that sucker. He said "Surely You must be Jokeing" and Im like.. umm.. no.

Hasty8
02-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by the JoKeR
If I remember correctly, it's a huge loophole for rich people to hide their income off-shore in some way, while being a way to cruise the world in your own "home". I'd be scared as hell about sinking, terrorist attacks, or strong weather systems, though.

It's no loophole Joker and it not hiding "income" If you get income in any legal way your taxes are paid long before that money gets into your hands. If you want to protect your money against court decisions and the like then you open an account in the Swiss region or the Carribbean. I recommend the Swiss banks because they have been around for centuries and the likelyhood of them collapsing is minimal.

Once you have that off-shore bank account open any money in it is not reachable any court or bankruptcy ruling. There is no way they can get your money. The other crucial thing is to put the money in someone else's name and that is the tricky part. Who are you gonna trust with your 40 bazillion dollars? Since the money is in a trust company or someone else's name you cannot be held in contempt of court for failing to respond to the court order. The trust is not giving you your money? What can you do about it? So sorry. Guess I'll still get to live in this mansion owned by the trust and dive this beautiful car that is owned by the trust.

The other reason why this cannot be a tax shelter is that even though this ship will sail all around the world it will be considered as a soverign extension of what ever country it is registered in. If it is registered in the Bahamas then all ship residents will be required to live in accordance with Bahamian laws and regulations.

This is not the first attempt at a vessel of this size or type. Below are a few more links of ships that are further and shorter along the conceptual line as the Freedom Ship.

http://www.worldcity.com/
http://www.residensea.com/

These two are not exactly ships but are funny just the same.
http://oceania.org/
http://www.sealandgov.com/