PDA

View Full Version : Can someone post pix of a tac-one body?

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Front, back, top, bottom? It's easy to get side pix. But I swear nobody has ever posted the others on the internet. If ya want to throw in each side thanks. But them are obtainable elsewhere.

Cyco-Dude
03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
any reason why?

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 03:24 PM
any reason why?

Ha-ha. Yah. I've always wanted a micromag style mag with a few tweeks that I can't do with a micromag body. Luke's new body is getting pretty close to what I really invision. But it dawned on me that a tac-1 body clamped to a rail while milling might get me what I'm after. And at a cheaper price. And then maybe not. But since I haven't got access to a body without buying one. And can't find pictures. Figured I'd ask.

Was gonna pick up the 2 micros from Canada. But discovered a bird issue in my garage yesterday so I had to back out. Now I'm 200 bux in to solving my bird problem. And hope I don't have to spend more.

Also. Depending how it all goes I may try and buy a slug off Luke instead of a full finished body. Only time will tell. But I'm sure keeping up with Luke's prototype thread.

Cyco-Dude
03-12-2016, 04:43 PM
i think sk8ermog would have some insight into this; or at least a milled "square" looking body (if that's what you're after). i think he did just what you're thinking; milled a tac-1 body. here's his armory post (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?270069-Sk8ermog-Meet-My-Paintball-Family-2), scroll down to see it.

luke
03-12-2016, 04:57 PM
But it dawned on me that a tac-1 body clamped to a rail while milling might get me what I'm after.

There's not any extra material on the Tac that will allow you do do any shaping, really all you can do is mill off the tac grooves, after that you end up with this>

http://lukescustoms.com/uploads/3/5/1/4/3514501/2277502.jpg?492

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
If I don't get a bite with pics in the next day or so I will PM him. If that was a TAC it looks like I may be able to pull off what I want to do with a TAC body. A rail. And a mill. Thanks a bunch for what you could give.

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Not wanting to do any sculpting really. I'm wanting something in the realm of a 96 autococker that went thru a mill. Angled Gill slots around the air valve. The back only having a fitting slot where it is needed on a single side for the air valve. Nothing much. I could probably dig and find some ancient autococker pics. As I stated in your thread. You have a real close rendering of what my ideal mag is. And purchasing one of your bodies is in the forefront of my mind.

luke
03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
You wont get there with a Tac body...

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 05:42 PM
When you milled off the back slots did it eliminate the AL that covered the valve on the left side? If so you are correct and your body is still the closest thing I can get to what I invision as my perfect mag.

luke
03-12-2016, 08:12 PM
When you milled off the back slots did it eliminate the AL that covered the valve on the left side?

Yes, once you machine the tac mounts off there's not enough left to do anything with.

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Then you are 100%correct. This won't do what I would love to have. And your unibody is still my closest. May have to PM ya.....

Cyco-Dude
03-12-2016, 10:10 PM
When you milled off the back slots did it eliminate the AL that covered the valve on the left side? If so you are correct and your body is still the closest thing I can get to what I invision as my perfect mag.

well, you won't have anything back there anyways, as you need to have room for the air fitting. but you could have slots above the valve...that could look cool, but might be flimsy depending on how much material is left.

blackdeath1k
03-12-2016, 11:05 PM
You only have an air fitting on one side of a valve. The OE TAC bodies actually will only allow for a right side air fitting. Ideally I'd rather a left side air fitting. But all in all if I could have got it to work with a right side I would have been happy.

bowcycle
03-13-2016, 09:20 AM
I had my machinist try to mill out the left side of a tac body to match the right side (to use a reverse valve). Even with a fine bit on high speed taking super light passes, the body cracked along the line in the top. The material there is just super thin. So we ended up just cutting off the entire back of the body.

Live and learn. Don't try to shape tac bodies.

luke
03-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Don't try to shape tac bodies.

This is a Tac body.

Nobody
03-13-2016, 03:34 PM
This is a Tac body.

You cleaned a tac-one body, not reshape it.

luke
03-13-2016, 05:01 PM
I had my machinist try to mill out the left side of a tac body to match the right side (to use a reverse valve). Even with a fine bit on high speed taking super light passes, the body cracked along the line in the top. The material there is just super thin. So we ended up just cutting off the entire back of the body.

Live and learn. Don't try to shape tac bodies.

I'll rephrase for Nobody.

I have successfully machined the area around the valve assembly on the left side without damaging the body. I'm not sure what your machinist did, but it actually sounds like he used a large 2 flute endmill which could cause the damage you suggest. I use a 1/2" 3 flute carbide end mill to machine that area.

bowcycle
03-13-2016, 05:12 PM
I use a 1/2" 3 flute carbide end mill to machine that area.

Did you mill off the Weaver rails first?
I asked him to leave the rails intact. I think the problem was going between the different thicknesses of material.

luke
03-13-2016, 05:52 PM
I doubt that wouldn't matter. I won't pretend to know for sure what he did, but if I were to wager a guess I would say he likely used a large 3/4" or 1" end mill and when he made the initial it grabbed the part and broke it. The tail end is very flimsy and is a tricky cut. Unfortunately sometimes this happens when customizing parts. There's always a risk of destroying parts and on occasion stuff gets ate up before you learn the nuisances of modifying a part. Sometimes you dont know what to expect until you do it, that just goes with the territory. ;)