PDA

View Full Version : the price of mags

bound for glory
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
I've been retired from paintball for about 8 years(started in march of 1984) and i looked into re arming myself and my 13 year old son.

I call Tuna, who has worked on my mags many times over the years. Automag(i had the 4th mag sold to new jersey) micromags(had 3. quite liked them), RT mags(had 2) EMAG, and DEVILMAG(don't ask:rolleyes:).

WOW:wow:emags are still $800??? Mean to say, i believe the guy, but correct me if i'm wrong, but is'nt the emag 16 years old?

Now i have not looked at new markers and i don;t know what the "flavor of the month" is, but are emags even competitive these days? I'll be honest, i want a mag because from the beginning of semi's(pmi3, 68specials, illisrators etc)i went with ADG'S mag. I know my way around the gun, and i like them. But $800? And thats sans air system and a warp(i won't play without a mag w/warpfeed).

Any thoughts on this? And to be clear, i'm not doubting Tuna or attacking mags.Because a mag is all i will play with. I have owned many other guns(russian legion timmy, others)but mags are what i like.

vintage
03-17-2016, 03:49 PM
must be a Tunamax. you can pick up used E Mags for around $400.00. warp feeds are no longer made so you have to go used there and they seem to average around $100.00 or so. i'd like to have a new Tunamax but can't justify it.

welcome back.

Tunaman
03-17-2016, 04:19 PM
You didn't say used you said new. It would probably be the last completely new one ever to be sold. There is nothing left. If you can find a used one with an Xvalve for 400 I would buy it. A new TunaMax with custom anno would be more like 1200.

going_home
03-17-2016, 04:21 PM
I think that's what I paid for a new one from Tuna few years ago.

BiNumber3
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Mags have generally maintained their value quite well over the years. Members keep coming out with new stuff for them as well. And with the modular design of them, the customization options are endless (though it can get pricy).

You may want to check out pneumags as well, Tuna has some really great options for that and there are various home built options for it. Super light trigger pull aided by pneumatics.

Mags from 16 years ago still run perfectly:)

bound for glory
03-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Again, no offense ment, bob.

Let me mull this over...I will be in touch, Tuna. If we can work something out?*

*Please be kind. I'm A married man and POOR high school history teacher. But i bought a home only 3 miles from SKIRMISH in Jim Thorp, PA. On quite days i fancy i can hear the guns...
Also, you worked on many of my mags.

blackdeath1k
03-17-2016, 04:50 PM
My main mag is 20 years old and running strong. Amazingly still worth now what I paid for it used in the late 90s. And honestly it wasn't until Luke's new body that he is working on that I have even considered a new gun. The xvalve alone in that marker tuna quoted you is worth a couple hundred on the used market. So yah. Price of new is still steep.

psunitro
03-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Again, no offense ment, bob.

Let me mull this over...I will be in touch, Tuna. If we can work something out?*

*Please be kind. I'm A married man and POOR high school history teacher. But i bought a home only 3 miles from SKIRMISH in Jim Thorp, PA. On quite days i fancy i can hear the guns...
Also, you worked on many of my mags.

And can you hear the sound of the $$$ from the $100 a case paint?

bound for glory
03-17-2016, 05:59 PM
$100 a case is crazy, right? I just today got a flyer from skirmish and its $30 to play and field paint only. That is mighty expensive for my son and i.
Tell the truth, my son was more interested in starting Airsoft, bt the guns seen "flimsy" and the feel like they would break easily.
I talked him into paintball.

Nobody
03-17-2016, 06:34 PM
1st, welcome back into paintball.

2nd, in the beginning of June, there is a little get together called Tunaball, where we celebrate all things Tuna and all things Mags. You can meet people like Tuna, Simon Stevens, BigEvil, Loguzzzo and other AO luminaries. There is a section dedicated to all info for your questions. Think about it.

3rd, mags have stabilized on prices for tbe past 10 years maybe more. This is on the used market where $200 will get you an Xvalve, $100 a ULE body, $70 a Intelliframe, & $40 a ULE rail... Going new will always be more expensive. So you do have to weigh the options of new vs used.

4th, classic valves will always be less expensive than ReTro or Emag valves. ReTro and Emag valves will always be cheaper than Xvalves. Having anyone build the gun will be more expensive than collecting the parts yourself. A lot of people will buy lots or a gun with one part, to then pick thag part and flip the remainders, sometimes for a profit.

BiNumber3
03-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Look through the BST section of here and MCB, maybe a few other sites too (PBnation as well), you might find a mag or 2 with most of what you'd want, for cheaper than piecing something together. You can get a good deal for packages, and if you're lucky, you'll get a nice tank and loader as well.

blackdeath1k
03-17-2016, 08:14 PM
I have 0 dollars in my wife's marker. Bought a big lot of pb stuff for 5-600. Sold everything but her marker and a freak barrel kit. My only goal was to recoup expenses fast so the prices I sold everything for were fairly cheap. In the end the wife has a nice retro valved minimag that cost basically nothing.

boo
03-17-2016, 09:15 PM
You can still order new ule xmags from AGD for around $500.

Tunaman
03-17-2016, 09:30 PM
and if you wanted to build it with a regular emag valve instead of an Xvalve it would be cheaper.

93klauss
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Bought my first mag in 1995.. still using the same rail...and thinking of getting that milled...Now have a xvalve with hyper frame and warp.. and going warpless....Not an Xmag but its mine....lol

My point, if you have the time and skill, build your own...that way you know what you got and how to fix it... Also consider what you want to start your son with, or what he wants...could make all the difference.

bound for glory
03-17-2016, 11:33 PM
XMAG from adg for 500? xmag is electro, or am i wrong?

My son want a milsim kind of marker. don't know what, yet.

Me, as i said, i want an emag, with a warp.

BiNumber3
03-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Think he means an X-valved Automag, not one of the CNC X-Mags.

Nobody
03-17-2016, 11:54 PM

Not an Xmag, but a regular ULE mag with an XValve. At times people will interchange the term Xmag; from the classic Xmag gun, and a mag with an Xvalve... It is contextual.

There are people who have done mil-sim type guns with mags. They are generally more expenaive builds. They can range from full on custom bodies to modified tac-one guns. Again, it is all up to what you want or can spend. I alot can be done with just regular parts and some DIY.

Take a stroll through the gallery section. Some people have put together mil-simesque or non "spacegun" type builds. It will give you ideas on what or how you can progress.

I don't know of you have played paintball with your son before building a gun, but if you can look through the gallery with him, it might pique his interest more.

going_home
03-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Tac One has rails on it.

Tunaman
03-18-2016, 07:55 AM

You dont want a warp anymore. There are much better options available now. Way too heavy.

Merce
03-18-2016, 08:01 AM
My son want a milsim kind of marker.
I have a small photo compilation of some more milsim looking mags I can post if you want to show your kid.

Nobody
03-18-2016, 09:42 AM
You dont want a warp anymore. There are much better options available now. Way too heavy.

Can you tell that to Beemer then?

going_home
03-18-2016, 09:46 AM
can you tell that to beemer then?

lol

:rofl:

Tunaman
03-18-2016, 11:47 AM
lol

:rofl:

all I can say is take care of your working warp feed. There are no more boards or shells.

boo
03-18-2016, 01:11 PM
I believe both tunaman and AGD still have brand new tac one setups (milsim ule body with picatinny rails).

bound for glory
03-18-2016, 02:08 PM
might just go with the AK of paintball, a tippman for the boy.

And i'm really bummed that warps ar'nt a thing anymore. Time was, i would'nt go on a field without one straped to my current mag...

Man, time have changed.

Tunaman
03-18-2016, 02:14 PM

And i'm really bummed that warps ar'nt a thing anymore. Time was, i would'nt go on a field without one straped to my current mag...

Man, time have changed.

I have a nice tipmann for sale if interested...

vintage
03-18-2016, 02:24 PM
i will be running a warp on an X Mag at Tunaball this year.

going_home
03-18-2016, 02:52 PM
I believe both tunaman and AGD still have brand new tac one setups (milsim ule body with picatinny rails).

My first new mag was a Tac One from Tuna many years ago.

Only thing about buying from AGD is they used to charge extra if you wanted to pay with PayPal.

Tuna doesnt.

;)

blackdeath1k
03-18-2016, 04:04 PM

Man, time have changed.
Quite a few of the guys that used to use a warp now modify halos to be a warpless setup. Basically all the function of a warp without the added bulk or girth.

blamtro
03-18-2016, 05:36 PM
What does the tunamax get you over normal?

You didn't say used you said new. It would probably be the last completely new one ever to be sold. There is nothing left. If you can find a used one with an Xvalve for 400 I would buy it. A new TunaMax with custom anno would be more like 1200.

bound for glory
03-18-2016, 06:09 PM
I'd be happy to go used.

Cyco-Dude
03-18-2016, 07:07 PM

MAXIMUM TUNA!!! others just give you minimal, if any, tuna.

maniacmechanic
03-18-2016, 09:41 PM

IIRC their were TMax valves and rails , maybe other pts as well

going_home
03-18-2016, 09:56 PM

A piece of history.

;)