PDA

View Full Version : A story about a thoing called lightning.. and my modem.

Vegeta
02-27-2002, 09:11 PM
It was a calm afternoon. I came home after a hard day of the same - i always put up with. I plopped down, ate some bad chineese, watched hte news, and came to my computer. I had been frustrated hte night before with trying to find a c++ compiler, which miserably failed. So i hit my icon for IE and clicked connect.. and got.. nothing. no dialtone no crap. Turns out.. mad dad said that there had been a storm the day before. Lightning hit a few miles away and SOMEHOW found its way down the strand of cables to my modem. I was instantly depressed. It has been almost a week and its finally back. I was so pissed i was ready to start panning for some anti depressanants. All my projects came to a halt. I had layout i was planning to fininsh, people I needed to talk to... deals i had to make, things to download.. all stopped. damn internet. so i had to take my computer to a grewat friend cuase i didnt wanna - with it. LAst time this happedned i ened up frying myself and then the motehrboard and then formatting hte HD.. dont ask.

so since my machine was gone all my graphis work had to stop... all the source code i was workng on grinded to a halt.. and the programs i was working in.. couldnt be used. i went days without a computer. DAYS. At least its not as bad as last time. Last time it got hit by lightning.. it was a whole MONTH....

Anyways.. life sucks eh?

fenris69
02-28-2002, 03:07 PM
If this has happened twice then you should think about investing in a UPS with phone jacks. shouldnt be too expensive, 80-100 or less. might save you some grief next time :)

gimp
02-28-2002, 08:18 PM
hehehe, that reminds me of something. I was playing with one of my old computers, and I was taking the modem out. I had the modem in the wrong slot or something, so I was just gonna move it to the next one over. Eh, what do I need to unplug it for, it'll only take a second. I take it out of it's current slot, and BAM! the phone rings. I feel this little jolt in my fingers. Whooops. hehehe. Always unplug things!!!