PDA

View Full Version : Nitro Q & A

Psycho_Pigeon
02-28-2002, 07:42 AM
Alright, heres the thing. Last year I had to sell my M98 for books and fines for school. The season is coming back up, and I am looking to buy a Mag, like a used 68.. etc. I have used CO2 my whole career, I wanna switch to nitro, because I've heard it's about the only thing that WILL work in a mag. What are the consequences of Nitro over CO2? I practice on a farm with 2 other teams. The nearest field is 60 miles away. I'm lookin for an air system that will last a whole day. And then some!

Thanks in Advance

Psy

cphilip
02-28-2002, 07:45 AM
A 68 will run CO2 just fine if set up with proper expansion chambers and such. It's the RT Valves that will not.

If you realy want to go Nitro/Compressed Air then do a search and check out all the info here on SCUBA tanks to refilling with them. Sounds like could be just the ticket for your remote location.

slateman
02-28-2002, 07:47 AM
1. The only consequence to using nitro in a mag is cost, the're more exspensive.

2. To fill a nitro tank you need a scuba tank. If you buy a scuba tank then you don't have to worry about running out of air.

3.If your just going to fill it once and try to play the whole day you're going to need one that has an output pressure of 4500PSI. That means more money:D

4. You can run a mag on CO2, just not in the winter.

nilloc 93
02-28-2002, 07:59 AM
I would definitely recommend moving to nitro or compressed air. CO2 make work well for some people and their Mags, but my team and I have our o-rings freeze after using CO2 for extended periods of time. For a full day of playing, I'd suggest a 68 or 88 cu. in. / 4500 psi., preset tank. As long as you aren't shooting like crazy, it should last plenty long.

Drizit
02-28-2002, 09:57 AM
it's scuba tanks for you my friend. you can put co2 on your mag, but you are looking at an anti-syphen tank for sure and a reg, or expantion chamber to go with it. air does work better but you can get away with co2 if you know how to do it. (and we can tech you) however the only way you are going to get away with nitro is scuba tanks even with an 88/4500 system you still will only get around 1500 to 2000 rounds.

ylun
02-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
A 68 will run CO2 just fine if set up with proper expansion chambers and such. It's the RT Valves that will not.

If you realy want to go Nitro/Compressed Air then do a search and check out all the info here on SCUBA tanks to refilling with them. Sounds like could be just the ticket for your remote location.

I am planning to put the retro Valve in my 68, and I am running nitro, will had any problem doing that? I don't had a expansion chambers, do I need one what is the benefit of having one?

phish
02-28-2002, 11:20 AM
x- chambers take the liquid out of the co2 before it goes into the gun, the more stages, the better they work.

Army
02-28-2002, 11:23 AM
ylun, With a Retro Valve you MUST run nitro. It's recharge rate is so high and fast, that you will suck liquid Co2 right out of the bottle and into the gun, it will have no time to expand.

Psycho_Pigeon, 'Mags will run fine on Co2. The best way is to run a slinky remote and expansion chamber. This allows a lot of space and time for the Co2 to boil off to gas. I have run my Minimag for nearly 5 years on Co2 with that set-up, and I rarely have problems I can blame on freeze-up.

personman
02-28-2002, 11:26 AM
U probally should get the biggest tank you can carry around confortabally, at 45Kpsi, and get a scuba tank or 2, and you will need one of these (http://www.skanline.com/productspb/products-ACI/product-pages/n2fillac.html)
keep the tank size confortable, we dont want you breaking your back, or ASA