PDA

View Full Version : Bottom of mask hitting tank when aiming...

dahoeb
09-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Sorry if this is a very noob'ish question....but I've always used a drop forward, they're comfortable and line the marker up between my eyes when I aim. But I decided to try out just a typical on/off ASA without a drop, since that seems to be the rage these days. I do see the benefit when snap shooting, it doesn't force you to flare out the elbow as much when trying to angle in the hopper. But the bottom of my mask rests right on top of the tank...to aim it like I usually do, the tank is pushing my mask up and out of position. So are people just looking a few inches directly over the top of their marker when they're aiming or am I missing something?

The only reason I'm concerned about this now after using a drop for the past decade is that I've got a gun on the way which has a gas line that goes straight through the grip.

Laku
09-07-2016, 11:57 PM
I aim over the top.

alpha_q_up23
09-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Get some jt flexs and bend the rubber up

Nobody
09-08-2016, 04:34 AM
What size tank are you using? Which mask do you have?

Honesty, everyone is different in shape, size and length of our body parts. I always believed the best position for your arm is having it at a 90° angle and positioning the tank/gun in that. So using the various drops, mini drops, extenders, wedges, or whatever you use to attach the tank to the gun; you jeed to find what works best for you. Don't go into the fades of what is cool or what doesn't get you laughed at.

As for sighting, down the side of the gun. Keeps the head in more so "less potential mask/head" hits, it also helps tuck in everything else. I have used firearms but know the distinction between them and paintball. So i don't fall into sighting fail many others find. Its like going between a stick and an automatic car. Different methods for different situations.

dahoeb
09-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Im running a typical 68/45k with a Grillz mask.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have plenty of time to experiment with the setup when I get it and figure out what works.

Korso
09-08-2016, 08:11 AM
I had the same problem with my Emag when I was using Luke's wedge. Jt flex sorted that problem.

Soonersdds
09-08-2016, 08:41 AM
I still use a drop, cp micro whatever, just feels right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahoeb
09-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I'll definitely be keeping my CP micro razor or my shockteck drop on my mag. I kinda hate the curremt trend of running the gasline and reg through the grip. It's aesthetically pleasing, but that's really about it. It limit's the player's options and doesn't make servicing a leak any easier.

capt spank
09-08-2016, 11:50 AM
for those with no drop, I think they shoulder it more so the tank's not under their chin. if you're more comfortable, keep rocking the drop and do the old school lean back.

Spider-TW
09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Drops can also shift the bottle weight forward. A balanced mag is more comfortable to carry all day, as well as shoot with one hand. That sounds kind of silly, but winning a running gun battle is fun. A drop also leaves room for your forearm at low-carry. I also vote for using the one that fits.

going_home
09-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I use an angled rail and set the tank on my shoulder.

Many do like it but it's comfortable to me.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/20150829_105726.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/going_home/media/20150829_105726.jpg.html)

nak81783
09-08-2016, 05:58 PM
I still use drop forwards. I tried sans drop on a friend's RT Classic and my Axe Pro a couple times each. Couldn't stand it. If you need a drop forward for a gas-through-trigger-frame marker, check out nummech.com. They offer drops for many of the modern markers. I put one on my Axe Pro. It made it handle great, but I did get rid of the Axe Pro shortly thereafter. I'm just too attached to Mags and Cockers.

GoatBoy
09-08-2016, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIA_-HgugAI

dahoeb
09-08-2016, 09:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIA_-HgugAI

Well I think you win response of the day, sir. #Bruceleeknows

athomas
09-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I switched to drop forwards when I started using the larger air tanks after my switch from CO2. Shortly after that, I switched to a standard bottom mount and have kept that setup on all my guns ever since. It allows my mask to fit behind the gun and doesn't require my wrist to twist around the fat section of the bottle like it does when I used a drop forward. The gun is nicely balanced with this setup as well, and it allows you to hold the gun tight to your body for greater stability when moving and shooting.

dahoeb
09-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I found a Valken Proton for dirt cheap, picked it up and after the fact got worried about the lack of drop forward. I still prefer having a small drop forward setup, probably just because it fits my body better.... but after test firing the Proton with mask and getting the feel for it, I don't think I'll have any problems.

paint magnet
09-13-2016, 01:06 PM
I have the same problem with my Axe and a VForce profiler. Been experimenting with different positions but so far they all feel weird...fortunately this setup is so much lighter than what I'm used to that I have been getting by kicking the tank butt out to the side, resting it on my upper bicep instead of my shoulder, and leaning the marker in more. It's kind of a shame because the gun is so efficient I could get away with a 45/45 but would basically have no way to rest it when shooting. Ordered a Ninja 77/45 SL to try out a different length tank.

dahoeb
09-13-2016, 03:05 PM
I have the same problem with my Axe and a VForce profiler. Been experimenting with different positions but so far they all feel weird...fortunately this setup is so much lighter than what I'm used to that I have been getting by kicking the tank butt out to the side, resting it on my upper bicep instead of my shoulder, and leaning the marker in more. It's kind of a shame because the gun is so efficient I could get away with a 45/45 but would basically have no way to rest it when shooting. Ordered a Ninja 77/45 SL to try out a different length tank.

They make drop forwards for the axe! http://www.nummech.com

A friend of mine has one and it feels pretty awesome with it. When I'm done building my 2 mags, I'd like to invest in a similar setup.

going_home
09-13-2016, 07:26 PM
I use a 68 Ninja superlight SLP on my Axes.

I have a 45 tank cover on it to give you an idea of how much smaller they are.

Its perfect for me with the short tank.

No ugly drop forward needed.

;)