smallerfreeze
05-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Nobody
05-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Nope. I wouldn't trust it.

Menace_AO
05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
That's putting it mildly.

Almost looks like the power tube broke off, was welded back on, and someone went over it by hand with a Dremel in order to cover it up. :tard:

Can you get some really close-up pics, just for curiosity's sake? I'm betting several members here would love to see what was done here in greater detail.

Tunaman
05-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Throw it in the lagoon before someone gets hurt.

smallerfreeze
05-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Mondoatx
05-08-2017, 09:34 PM
That is wild man...

tucson.az.jbreen
05-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Any chance it's a one of the old c clip still valves that got welded shut?

smallerfreeze
05-08-2017, 10:46 PM

im 100% sure i want to go with this conclusion

knownothingmags
05-08-2017, 11:26 PM
or you can mail it to me.
and ill mail you a classic.
no need to have a chance to hurt someone.
send the whole think ill swap internals for you

dont risk it,
and dont have the mind set oh no im out money

and if you need more tuning part tunaman will help you get the used but proper valve from me ready to go

Laku
05-09-2017, 03:46 AM

Nope. Doesn't look like that.

vintage
05-09-2017, 04:45 AM
how do you not have bolt stick on that thing?

going_home
05-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Throw it in the lagoon before someone gets hurt.

Take the level 10 off first.....

captian pinky
05-09-2017, 12:07 PM
id be interested in the valve aswell.

nak81783
05-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Ti? We'll find one some day.

smallerfreeze
05-09-2017, 08:13 PM
im think im gonna test it in my backyard.. ill follow up with my findings in case anyone is interested

Menace_AO
05-11-2017, 10:43 AM
im 100% sure i want to go with this conclusion

Nope. Doesn't look like that.

Agreed.

This is 100% not a c-clip style valve. There are very few of those still in circulation, and they are unmistakable. This is a subsequent generation valve that has been lasered shut from the factory, and that weld is plainly visible.

This really does look like the power tube broke off, and was indeed welded (very badly) back on. Pure amateur/idiot hour.

OP,

You want to be very cautious about 'testing' this thing out.

It isn't a case of even firing the marker, which will be a great way to damage other parts should something go wrong (and they likely will).

Based on the way the valve is designed, the danger will come the minute you gas it up.

Seriously, re-think the wisdom of installing and gassing this thing up.

My guess is that you are relatively young, and don't really know your way around mags.

Some things are sketchy, and others are downright dangerous.

This is well beyond sketchy, and deep into dangerous territory. in fact, I'd be very interested to know where you got this, as whomever did it was either a complete idiot, or else malicious, if they did indeed make the 'repair' that appears to have been made here, and then passed it off to someone else.

Do not try this out.

Take knownothingmags' offer and call it a day.

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Agreed.

This is 100% not a c-clip style valve. There are very few of those still in circulation, and they are unmistakable. This is a subsequent generation valve that has been lasered shut from the factory, and that weld is plainly visible.

This really does look like the power tube broke off, and was indeed welded (very badly) back on. Pure amateur/idiot hour.

OP,

You want to be very cautious about 'testing' this thing out.

It isn't a case of even firing the marker, which will be a great way to damage other parts should something go wrong (and they likely will).

Based on the way the valve is designed, the danger will come the minute you gas it up.

Seriously, re-think the wisdom of installing and gassing this thing up.

My guess is that you are relatively young, and don't really know your way around mags.

Some things are sketchy, and others are downright dangerous.

This is well beyond sketchy, and deep into dangerous territory. in fact, I'd be very interested to know where you got this, as whomever did it was either a complete idiot, or else malicious, if they did indeed make the 'repair' that appears to have been made here, and then passed it off to someone else.

Do not try this out.

Take knownothingmags' offer and call it a day.

Im definitely new to automags online.. the last time i owned an automag was in 1995... i started playing paintball when i was about 6 or 7.. i come from law enforcement and military so it was natural... I am re-learning the things i need to know.. i was an ammunition technician so AGD technology is not out of my league.. i am incredibly grateful for this website though and i sent the bolt pics to the seller and he keeps reassuring me that it has no issues... i got it from craiglist in POMPANO FL.. which is like 30 mins south of me... im gonna list his phone number here.. feel free to contact him and enlighten him (754)235-3019..... this is the internet so i dont want these words to be taken out of tone.. i say all this sincerely and without any anger

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 12:20 PM
they were selling field admission, 200 paintbals and a rental, tickets at a discount price.. this was at a table at the south florida fairgrounds gunshow.. my dad bought my brother and myself tickets.. the field was "jerry leslies" and they didnt have an issue with the age as long as my dad signed the waiver.. i have a feeling someones gonna try to call me out on age

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
i know from a lot of time spent in the armory during garrison that a large file and plenty of elbow grease can turn a burst fire m16 into full auto... so this type of hand work is almost intriguing to me

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 12:51 PM
I do appreciate your concern for my safety Menace.. i most likely will never test it.... I contacted knownothingmags after he posted that.. i want to hang on to this valve and find another matching minimag valve... which i have talked to pinky about.. or ill just grab one from ebay.. im new so i know my reputation here is nil

Menace_AO
05-11-2017, 01:04 PM
OP,

Your background is all well and good. Welcome, welcome.

To the current point, I suppose the main question is whether or not you prefer to trust the word of some person who sold you this item, or to trust the word of several folk here (Tunaman especially) who actually know what they are talking about.

Even if the seller is telling the truth that he's had no issues, it is still no good argument to take his luck as evidence of safety.
And why you (or anyone) wouldn't take up an offer to replace this clunker with a proper valve is beyond me.

But you are of course free to do as you like with your own life, limbs, and property. Just be sure not to involve anyone else if you do decide to fool around with this.

EDIT: I see you may have had a change of heart. In that case, all the best.

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Even if the seller is telling the truth that he's had no issues, it is still no good argument to take his luck as evidence of safety.
And why you (or anyone) wouldn't take up an offer to replace this clunker with a proper valve is beyond me.

----> Its a low SN matching minimag.. something i couldnt afford when i got my used automag and always wanted.. my intentions were to find something like this.. upgrade it completely cosmetically.. and then keep it in good oiled working condition for the rest of my life

I was under the impression he was offering a 68 classic valve, which is great but i want to keep this a minimag with as low as SN as i can get... to me its a piece of history..(i regretted selling my mag many years later) this is SN mm06749..... i saw mm09*** matching on ebay for 50 bucks shipped so ill probably go with that

so at this point since im already buying stuff to try and enter it into classic of the month and figured and extra 50 bucks is irrelevant ( and why not just keep it around.. one day curiosity may or may not get the best of me)

knownothingmags
05-11-2017, 02:37 PM
I think I have a minimag valve. I'd have to check

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM
I think I have a minimag valve. I'd have to check

lol please dont be offended but im almost positive i just want to keep it and name it the 1 of danger valve

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 02:55 PM
93818 <----- currently how i feel about just buying another one

knownothingmags
05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Ok.

luke
05-11-2017, 03:23 PM
If it were properly welded it would probably be OK (TK cringes, lol) but someone with the proper skills would have done a much better job than that, as that looks pretty sketchy. If I were you I would try and find another damaged valve with a good power tube and switch them out.

Personally, I would never trust it unless I did it myself or if it looked something like this. This I wouldn't hesitate to use, but your weld is not even in the ball park.

smallerfreeze
05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
If it were properly welded it would probably be OK (TK cringes, lol) but someone with the proper skills would have done a much better job than that, as that looks pretty sketchy. If I were you I would try and find another damaged valve with a good power tube and switch them out.

Personally, I would never trust it unless I did it myself or if it looked something like this. This I wouldn't hesitate to use, but your weld is not even in the ball park.

my phone wont focus enough at that close range to show the detail.. but it is gnarly... the dude wont respond to me asking if he knew what happen or why... he just said it shoots fine... he lived in a high rise on the ocean so i figured i couldn't go wrong.. usually buying from wealthy people is safe

Tunaman
05-12-2017, 05:25 AM
I think you are missing the point. We here at the Automag Community want this valve OUT of circulation. Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with. The valve is dangerous and we want it gone forever.

Nobody
05-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Luke: nice stack of dimes. I learned a thing or three watching a world class welder. It looks like good welding.

Smallerfreeze: you could be right, that though the valve is ugly, it might still work, but more to the point, that it failed before, you have no history of who did the work, the previous owner wants nothing to do with it and because of the pressures associated within the dump chamber itself, it failed once, it can fail again. If the valve was something ultra rare, ultra unique then it might be worth trying to repair it. But a minimag valve, even early on, is not uncommon, nor better or even worth more than a regular classic valve.

You have a good standing offer to not only replace a possible hazard, but at no cost to you (shipping washes out). We in the community would rather meep you alive, uninjured and shooting a mag. It may not be the one you purchased, but you will be able to enjoy it none the less. This is not any ill will towards your intelligence or experiences, but from everyone here, who has seen this is in total agreement to not even put air to it and see if or when it will fail.

nak81783
05-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Is there any reason the OP can't take Luke's advice to simply thread a new powertube on? This eliminates the weld but let's the OP keep/use the remainder of the valve?

captian pinky
05-12-2017, 08:05 AM
I think you are missing the point. We here at the Automag Community want this valve OUT of circulation. Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with. The valve is dangerous and we want it gone forever.

This was basically my interest in the valve and I think i have another valve that has the powertube tip that is good.

smallerfreeze
05-12-2017, 09:20 AM

danger valve will die with me tunaman... never in a million years would i even give someone the valve

smallerfreeze
05-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Luke: nice stack of dimes. I learned a thing or three watching a world class welder. It looks like good welding.

Smallerfreeze: you could be right, that though the valve is ugly, it might still work, but more to the point, that it failed before, you have no history of who did the work, the previous owner wants nothing to do with it and because of the pressures associated within the dump chamber itself, it failed once, it can fail again. If the valve was something ultra rare, ultra unique then it might be worth trying to repair it. But a minimag valve, even early on, is not uncommon, nor better or even worth more than a regular classic valve.

You have a good standing offer to not only replace a possible hazard, but at no cost to you (shipping washes out). We in the community would rather meep you alive, uninjured and shooting a mag. It may not be the one you purchased, but you will be able to enjoy it none the less. This is not any ill will towards your intelligence or experiences, but from everyone here, who has seen this is in total agreement to not even put air to it and see if or when it will fail.

im not trying to be unintelligent by turning down an offer to exchange the valve... i just dont have a problem with keeping the valve.. atleast for parts inside and buying another complete one

smallerfreeze
05-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with <----- negative

smallerfreeze
05-12-2017, 09:51 AM
I wouldnt have fired it without asking u guys regardless

luke
05-12-2017, 11:10 AM
SF, there's an old machinist I meet awhile back that's retired, he's been asking for some work. If you want to remove the power tube and send it to me I'll get you a bid to have one made. I have no idea what he would charge but I can ask. I believe there's a thread in the workshop started by Hill that should explain how to remove the power tube. I've done them before but I dont want to mess with them any more. The thread had to do with efficiency inserts, if I can find it I'll bump it to the top.

smallerfreeze
05-12-2017, 11:11 AM
938239382493825 ... i took tunamans advice on the lagoon RIP danger valve.. everything else looks good

captian pinky
05-12-2017, 02:20 PM
938239382493825 ... i took tunamans advice on the lagoon RIP danger valve.. everything else looks good

Had i seen the weld going out to the threads i would have said the same thing.

nak81783
05-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Had i seen the weld going out to the threads i would have said the same thing.

Ah, yes. There it is.

Mondoatx
05-12-2017, 10:36 PM
So...just curious here... on a physics level... if it did fail... how bad could it be? I mean... if it was aired up it would be in body... I guess I am just curious if the explosive force would be enough to overcome the structural integrity of the body?

I know the typical operating pressure/input is 800PSI... but obviously if you reduce surface area PSI increases... so does the PSI go above the operating pressure/input at different parts of the valve?

Menace_AO
05-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Thirded.

That thing just kept getting more and more ugly. And bad. :wow:

OP, to echo Nobody's point, there really wasn't anything about that valve that made it ultra-desirable. It wasn't one of the really old ones, so no worries there.

And even if it had been, whomever wrecked it would have taken all the value with it when he did.

So you needn't worry about a lost treasure, or anything like that. :D

Of course, speaking of lost treasure, now all we need is a final scene, post credits, where some random diver from the distant future sifts through the murky depths and finds something cylindrical and shiny.

It has strange lasered markings, and appears to be part of a valve of some sort with odd welds and grinding marks on it.

The diver can't be certain, but he thinks it may be part of the ancient, fearsome paintball marker known simply as 'The 'Mag'. With the sage advice of a mystical mustachioed guru recorded on VHS, the diver and his engineer buddy will put together all the pieces they've collected, rob a museum, and with a little luck, they'll get it back up and running in no time . . .

Fade to black.

OneSelfLost
05-12-2017, 11:46 PM
If you have to ask if something is safe.. it probably isn't.

If you have to think about it, its probably not worth it.

knownothingmags
05-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Nice

knownothingmags
05-12-2017, 11:47 PM
And very true

Tunaman
05-13-2017, 06:55 AM
938239382493825 ... i took tunamans advice on the lagoon RIP danger valve.. everything else looks goodGood job. You have earned a spot on the AO team for sure. Tom will be very happy you did this.

smallerfreeze
05-13-2017, 07:54 AM
So...just curious here... on a physics level... if it did fail... how bad could it be? I mean... if it was aired up it would be in body... I guess I am just curious if the explosive force would be enough to overcome the structural integrity of the body?

I know the typical operating pressure/input is 800PSI... but obviously if you reduce surface area PSI increases... so does the PSI go above the operating pressure/input at different parts of the valve?

i think this is worthy of some techie speculation... i dont know but i was starting to think worst cast scenario is literally everything in my hand, my tank my hopper and my goggles would all blow up

tucson.az.jbreen
05-13-2017, 11:51 AM
It's a titanium valve and they're all after your lucky charms! Run for the hills!

Nah jk.

smallerfreeze
05-13-2017, 12:04 PM
i realized shortly after i dropped it that i missed a once in a lifetime chance to take a picture of it hitting the water......... 93828 ... this is probably what it would have looked like tho

Tunaman
05-13-2017, 01:46 PM
i think this is worthy of some techie speculation... i dont know but i was starting to think worst cast scenario is literally everything in my hand, my tank my hopper and my goggles would all blow up

I'd be worried more about schrapnel of some sort...created by the weakening of the metal from welding it. It doesnt look like they checked it for 3000psi when they were done.

going_home
05-13-2017, 03:04 PM
i have a feeling someones gonna try to call me out on age

I have a new hero, although I didnt find out his name.

I did find out that he is 73 and was playing paintball today with the rest of the cool kids.

Felt good to not be the oldest kid at the field for a change, finally !

;)

Mondoatx
05-13-2017, 09:40 PM
I'd be worried more about schrapnel of some sort...created by the weakening of the metal from welding it. It doesnt look like they checked it for 3000psi when they were done.

That is exactly what I was wondering about with my thoughts of the body failing... basically... would the body contain the explosive force or fail also FURTHER adding the the shrapnel from the valve... scary to thing about...