PDA

View Full Version : air eficancy problems !!!!

PaintSniper02
03-01-2002, 11:18 AM
I bought a crossfire 88 3000 tank about a month ago. its been filled about two times. I'm only getting areound 500 shots out of it. i have a j&j stainless 10in barrel with rails i've been told is the problem, but would a barrel realy subtract 300 shots from my tank?

Predater
03-01-2002, 12:41 PM
that barrel may take more air to shoot the ball but im not sure.

Exodus
03-01-2002, 05:55 PM
your barrel does not affect your efficiency. every time you shoot the valve dumps a preset amount of air. the first thing that comes into my mind is: when you fill your tank what does the pressure guage say? sometimes fields or stores dont have a booster and cant fill to the full 3000 psi.

MAGS own YOU
03-01-2002, 06:04 PM
Acutally, a ported barrel takes more force to move the paint down the barrel. A non ported is the oppisite.

RobAGD
03-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Barrels have a direct effect on your gas effeciency.

on a 68 3k tank I get between 600-1000 shots just because if what barrel I am shooting.

All Amercian 12" = about 600 ish

Stock RT/RTP/Emag barrel get me close to 1000

-Robert

PaintSniper02
03-01-2002, 11:22 PM
i'm planning on getting a 14" boom stick for 60$
but if i could find a 14" barrel with a .688 boar, and only a muzle break, that would make me happier than a pig in poo:D

PaintSniper02
03-01-2002, 11:26 PM
I have a s\f automag
i bought from a field that was selling there old field markers for 150$ and turned it into a man eating machine:D

2UnREal
03-01-2002, 11:59 PM
Are you using a good paint that matches the barrel correctly.

PaintSniper02
03-02-2002, 12:03 AM
its not the paint
i get good paint all the time
since my barrel has a built in rail system all the way down the barrel, the ball sits in the rails when it is fired, which means that all the air passes buy it through the openings in the rails requiring more air to push the ball out the barrel

PaintSniper02
03-02-2002, 12:05 AM
i couldn't get a more acurate barrel if i wanted to though

RobAGD
03-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Lapco 11.5" Big Shot .689 for about 55-60

or teh AutoSpirit .687 for the same price.

-Robert

drx975
03-03-2002, 12:24 AM
Get the Lapco SS 12in, actually 11.5,(only lenght avail, right?) because to date, it is the most accurate barrel on the market. If you boomstick people don't believe me, then don't, but they had tests on it. And I'm pretty sure that 11.5 in is the best/most gas efficient length, at least for a 'Mag. Lapco makes their barrels with a grouped porting muzzle at the end of the barrel which saves gas too. I couldnt tell you how many shots I get out of it because im still waiting for that damn HPA tank.
Accuracy - 9.5
Quietness - 7
Looks - 9.5 (teardrop milling, laser engraved name, nice)
Paint breakage - never.
Gas efficiency - ??? dont really know yet, but most likely good
Overall - 9.5 because it could be quieter, although that would decrease things like gas efficiency

soilent green
03-03-2002, 04:08 PM
LAPCOs' are great and air efficient in reply to the original question it is deffinetly your barrel and sorry exodus but you don't know what your talking about you can prove this by setting your gun to a specific velocity with your barrel and then switch to another barrel like a lapco and chrono again with out changing anything else you will notice a big jump in velocity read toms tech tip on barrel efficiency especially you exodus

Polishpickles451
06-16-2002, 01:16 PM
so would a stock minimag barrel be pretty efficient?

drx975
06-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Pretty effiecent but not as good as a longer barrel because it will take more air to fire a ball fast through a shorter barrel (but rememeber anything longer than 11 inches lowers effiecency). Then again, it has no porting. The Minimag stock barrel is a good barrel and sticking with it for awhile isnt bad, I just switched because I wanted teh increased accuracy and effiecency, plus IMO its pretty hard to aim because the Minimag venting blocks most of your view of the barrel when you are firing at someone.

FreshmanBob
06-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Exodus
your barrel does not affect your efficiency. every time you shoot the valve dumps a preset amount of air. the first thing that comes into my mind is: when you fill your tank what does the pressure guage say? sometimes fields or stores dont have a booster and cant fill to the full 3000 psi.

this is extremely wrong, a barrel can effect your efficency with any gun a huge amount. Porting, a shorter barrel or a step in the barrel (aka boomstick) all lower your efficency by letting gas get out around the ball instead of pushing it. This preset amount of air isn't preset, otherwise we'd have no control over velocity. It's pressure is what you ajust in the back of the gun. That makes up for a loss in air and hense uses more air in the process.

back to the problem, gauges can also be misleading. Most can be off 10-20%.