PDA

View Full Version : CF Frame Safety Set Screw Removal

audioSLAVE
08-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Can anyone recommend the best way to remove a stripped safety set screw on a CF frame? I'd like to put a functioning safety in without destroying the frame too much. Was wondering if there was a way to do it before it comes to a throw away allen key and JB weld.

luke
08-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Drill it out.

It would be best t do it on a mill so you can get it lined up correctly but you may get lucky on a drill press or with a hand drill.

Tunaman
08-27-2017, 05:30 AM
Drill it out.

It would be best t do it on a mill so you can get it lined up correctly but you may get lucky on a drill press or with a hand drill.

You really cant drill it out because if you go all the way through the frame is ruined as far as the safety goes...
I would try to epoxy the wrench in there and qive it a whirl.

luke
08-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Well the idea is to just drill the set screw not the whole cavity. Granted it may be tricky without a milling machine but I've done them before. :)

Before you try anything I suggest you look at the hex key under a magnifying glass to see if it's rounded over, if so grind the tip down or buy a new one. More times than not, the hex key is the main problem.

rawbutter
08-27-2017, 12:04 PM
More times than not, the hex key is the main problem.

Agreed, and if you have a local small hardware store like Ace or TrueValue, I bet you can get a brand new single Allen key for less than a $1.

And if a new Allen key doesn't do the trick, then use superglue to lock the Allen key into the set screw. When it comes out, you should be able to use heat (like a lighter) to melt the superglue and break the seal between the key and screw.

audioSLAVE
08-27-2017, 03:16 PM
I'll give the superglue a whirl. I just didn't want to drop $8 or $9 on JB Weld. I'm hesitant about drilling just because I don't have the right set up and afraid to make it worse.

luke
08-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Inspect your hex key first, you may find its rounded over. Typically the hex key goes before the set screw. ;)