PDA

View Full Version : Minimag issues

bigjuan
01-30-2018, 10:55 AM
I recently bought a Minimag off Ebay and found it's got a leak from below the valve out the back of the gun. I suspect it's probably the reg seat. I purchased a parts kit, also from Ebay, which didn't include a reg seat, so I'll search that out separately.

When I replaced the small white on/off pin seals, the on/off pin was HARD to push through. The old seals...and from what I remember from my ancient memory of Maggies...were a lot easier to push the pin through.

A couple of questions:

1.) SHOULD brand new on/off pin orings be hard to push the pin through, or should I be able to push it through/pull it out with my fingers, as I've been able to do from what I can remember?
2.) When I pull the two screws that attach the body to the rail, I notice that the on/off pin (with either the old or new orings) doesn't ever fully depress into the valve, so if I want to pull out the valve, I've got to remove the body from the rail because the pin doesn't *QUITE* depress far enough so that it'll slide out the back. Is this expected, or does it mean the trigger isn't fully depressing the pin (perhaps the trigger needs adjusting?)
3.) Finally, small leak aside, the shot doesn't recharge quickly...that is, I might get two or three shots (dry fire) max, but then it takes .5-1ish seconds for the trigger to snap back. I'm not expecting RT-like responses or anything, but the last Mini I had in my hands (we're talking 20 years ago) was new and didn't have this recharge issue. Could that be related to the leak that I'm thinking is the reg seat?

Lanechaser
01-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Sorry I'm not much help, but just got my old Minimag back and will probably be in the same leaky boat as you. I havent even put air through mine yet, and already started upgrading since I remember maintenance being pretty easy on my minimag back in the day.

My plan is this: I already ordered an o-ring kit and still have some agd oil. Plan to take apart the valve remove all old o-rings then soak/clean in warm soapy water/clean nooks and crannies with q tips and alcohol. Rinse and completely dry, replace o-rings, drop 4 or 5 drops of oil in the asa, air it up and cycle the oil through. This worked for me in the past with minor leaks so hopefully it should work the same.

Tunaman
01-30-2018, 05:03 PM
If you guys are using oring kits from Ebay to save a few bucks you will lose in the long run. Buna orings are not as strong, dont last, and wil wear quicker and leave black specks on your reg seat...which will cause more leaks. Mil Spec orings are just that. Dont cheap out on the orings. You probably didnt get a mainspring with your oring kit either. Let us know how they work out.

bigjuan
02-01-2018, 12:32 AM
Quality of the o-ring kit notwithstanding, does anyone have any answers to the specific questions I posted?

vintage
02-01-2018, 05:45 AM
i have had on/off pins that did not get pushed all the way up that gave me problems getting the valve to slide out completely, it might be your trigger rod is a hair out of adjustment. did you oil the valve? i have had the teflon o rings be a little tight before but a very small amount of oil helped. your leak could still be your orings especially if they are dry.