PDA

View Full Version : Why is the mag still high pressure?

Kajo
03-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I was just asking myself that the other day, why is the mag still a high pressure gun? In an industry of low pressure guns could that be a partial reason why the mag has not taken off as much as some other markers?

I shoot a rat impulse and quite honestly the SFL mag struck me as being a beautiful feature rich gun, but that high pressure still gets me. I understand that the mag recharges very quickly and the reg actually takes the pressure down to something like 400 psi, but why no low pressure like cockers, imps, and a slew of other guns?

Thanks
Kajo out-

IceCool32
03-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Interestingly enough.....ALOT of cockers still opperate at 300psi.

But, I do agree...LP is a good way of opperation, it's amazing how some Freeflow cockers can CYCLE at 35psi, then the impy/shocker/matrix/etc can opperate at Spyders recocking pressure.

*edit*
But why change a marker that has been a leader in the industry for some many years. I know alot of players that swear by any and everything made by AGD. So you know the saying *If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Butterfingers
03-02-2002, 12:43 PM
LP is for the most part hype. It has been marketed to 1000% its actual benefits.

Link em up...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26842

You will find that the mag already has one of the lowest firing pressures.

BunkerThis
03-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Butterfingers is right. There is really no advantage to 180psi(impulse) over the 300 or so pis of a mag. in fact, a lot of impulse owners have done some mods and run there valve at 250-300 for the amazing efficiency/consistency. i will be one of these people as soon as i can pull a benjamin outta my behind.

Kajo
03-02-2002, 01:09 PM
I dunno, it just stands to reason though that the chops are going to be minimized. However, if people claim zero chops with a warpfeed and SFL/e-mag then I guess it's basically not an issue. This industry thrives off hype though, and I think more people would jump on mags if they saw "low pressure" advertised.

Kajo out-

HyperSnyper
03-02-2002, 01:20 PM
Low pressure is hype, but the sad thing is that it sells. Most people get a guns on what their shop tells them. Buy this super duper cocker that operates at 100 psi and cycles at 2 psi pneumtaic pressure, it shoots flatter with this 32" barrel. They wil buy the marker and its setup, go online and find out tis hype. Will they sell their gun that they just blew alot of money. No.

As for the LP cycling that wont allow for chops. Yes you can stick your finger in there and it wont chop. But this forum made me relize a better solution to the problem. Rather than making a buffer with LP cycling, you can completely eliminate the problem with a sensor eye or an ACE that will make sure the gun will not fire unless there is a ball fully in the chamber.

Now thats how you eliminate chops.

-Hyper

Predater
03-02-2002, 01:26 PM
chops are user error, not the presure of the gun.

side note:
companys like smart parts made low presure mods that enlarged the dump chamber. these slowed down the cycle and made it whare you could move your finger faster than the gun could fire on a standered mag. why screw up an already awsome gun :D .

Butterfingers
03-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kajo
I dunno, it just stands to reason though that the chops are going to be minimized. However, if people claim zero chops with a warpfeed and SFL/e-mag then I guess it's basically not an issue. This industry thrives off hype though, and I think more people would jump on mags if they saw "low pressure" advertised.

Kajo out-

Extemes are coming out with ACE ACE baby!

BlackVCG
03-02-2002, 01:51 PM
The difference between all these other guns that are being discussed and the Mag is that they have a firing pressure and a recocking pressure. The Mag operates the bolt off of firing pressure. This has made it so that the gun will shatter a ball everytime if it's going to chop it. There is a benefit with guns like Cockers that have pneumatic pressure of about 50psi because it will just pinch the ball and all you have to do is pull back on the back block and go back to shooting. With an Angel or something like that, if it pinches a ball, you're screwed until you can clear the jam.

With the Mag design there's no way to operate the bolt at a lower pressure and still have the same chamber pressure, so to get around that, they're putting in the ACE. Also, there are other things you can do to slow the bolt down in the Mag besides dropping the chamber pressure.

All AGD needs to do is release the Xtreme and watch the reports come in saying how the gun flat out does not break paint or chop and soon people will jump on the bandwagon. Just a couple more months.....

Army
03-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Also, gun operation pressure IS low in a cocker. You don't need 400psi to run the Ram in and out, so you buy into the "low pressure" hype.

Firing and recharge pressure are seperate from operation pressure. This is where AGD guns shine, as 'Mag recharge rates are second to none, so what if it uses 375-425psi to run. Firing pressure on the ball is about 60psi, now THAT is low pressure!

Cockers still need high pressure in the firing chamber, as all guns do, in order to be able to have enough volume to fill the chamber, breech and start of barrel with enough pressure to launch a ball to 300fps. Pressure falls of rapidly when the ball starts to move, the 'Mags 400psi in the chamber drops to 60psi by the time the bolt clears the power tube and the air hits the ball. 'Cockers are in the 125psi area, that should tell you something about hype.

Kajo
03-02-2002, 03:54 PM
See, this is the kind of stuff that should be spread around other forums and the paintball world, a little mag education. I don't shoot one myself, but I have owned two in the past, the new SFL and emags intrest me quite a bit, gotta get the word out guys!

Kajo out-

FeelTheRT
03-02-2002, 04:56 PM
The Mag can not successfully go LP without being a gas hog due to it's design. Unlike most guns, the Mag is basicly just one reg. On markers like Angels and Autocockers, there's a hammer opening a valve each time the trigger is pulled. To achieve LP on Cockers, you have to replace the valve and mainspring wiht lighter ones to limit the amount of air going into the bolt so that it is not a gas hog.

Whats wrong with 400psi? to be honest, my cocker is set at 500-600psi. Angel LCDs run at 500psi, Bonebreak LCDs run at 300psi.

If your having problems with breaking balls down the barrel, purchase a foamie bolt, it's awsome.

Kajo
03-03-2002, 01:35 AM
yeah, until the fomie flys off into oblivion!

Kajo out-

talls
03-03-2002, 10:39 AM
My old foamie bolt worked fine for about a year and the only reason I had to replace the foamie was because I thought it might help some because the foamie felt like it was getting weak. Now that is not an ordinary case as I play almost every weekend and sometime twice. So the foamie breaking won't be a common occurence