PDA

View Full Version : Micromag Question

jbtamu1011
11-07-2018, 10:44 AM
So, the micromag I purchased a while back, I'm thinking about getting some TLC done to it. The frame's chrome is flaking off. Caustic can strip the chrome off the frame, and maybe try to match the ano to the original. He won't be able to restore the original. Is it best on these to keep the original ano instead of changing it? Ideas on the frame?

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?275831-Look-what-I-just-did-yesterday-eBay-find

Walking Stick
11-07-2018, 02:25 PM
The great thing about the AGD platform is the modularity. There are so many other frame options that will work (but not a Z-Grip because it'd require removal of the VASA). You can go basic with an AGD carbon, AGD Intelli, DYE, 32 Degrees or Benchmark frames. Or spend the time/money to find something fancy like an AGD Y-Grip, RPG Triton, Cerberus Airwalk, Magnus Emancipator, Logic UMF, KAM M86, Luke MV2...your choices are plentiful.

If you look at the back of your frame you can see where it rises up on the sides to mate with the body - this is called a winged frame. Winged or flat, wingless frames will work for you. However, notice the sear pin on the lower part of the body between the field strip screw and top grip screw? If it seems like it wants to come out with a wingless frame, just put a dab of silicone to retain it.

I think your Teal Tiger build would look better with black parts to match the black background so find a black frame, ASA foregrip, X-valve and whatever modern barrel system you like for it. If you still really want to ano-match the frame, barrel, foregrip then send it on over to Caustic. He's who I'd recommend for pattern/color matching as well. Just don't mess with that original PK Selective anodizing - it's what makes most Micromags even more unique and sought after.

jbtamu1011
11-07-2018, 03:53 PM
The great thing about the AGD platform is the modularity. There are so many other frame options that will work (but not a Z-Grip because it'd require removal of the VASA). You can go basic with an AGD carbon, AGD Intelli, DYE, 32 Degrees or Benchmark frames. Or spend the time/money to find something fancy like an AGD Y-Grip, RPG Triton, Cerberus Airwalk, Magnus Emancipator, Logic UMF, KAM M86, Luke MV2...your choices are plentiful.

If you look at the back of your frame you can see where it rises up on the sides to mate with the body - this is called a winged frame. Winged or flat, wingless frames will work for you. However, notice the sear pin on the lower part of the body between the field strip screw and top grip screw? If it seems like it wants to come out with a wingless frame, just put a dab of silicone to retain it.

I think your Teal Tiger build would look better with black parts to match the black background so find a black frame, ASA foregrip, X-valve and whatever modern barrel system you like for it. If you still really want to ano-match the frame, barrel, foregrip then send it on over to Caustic. He's who I'd recommend for pattern/color matching as well. Just don't mess with that original PK Selective anodizing - it's what makes most Micromags even more unique and sought after.

Hey Walking Stick, that is some great info and advice. I've seen some Benchmark frames on eBay for sale. Not sure if the price is too high, $150-160 each. Also, I've tried to put another AC barrel on the front and the barrel wouldn't screw on the micromag. I've heard/read this is an issue since there really wasn't a standard to the AC thread back then. So if you know of any barrel brands that would fit, let me know or I'll just keep the Dye barrel on as is.

vintage
11-07-2018, 04:27 PM
the Armson barrels will screw into the micromags. i have not tried any other brand since they either came with the lug nut or an armson new.
that price is way too high for a benchmark frame. if your going to re anno it you can get one that is well used for $40.00 to $50.00 usually.

jbtamu1011
11-07-2018, 04:36 PM
the Armson barrels will screw into the micromags. i have not tried any other brand since they either came with the lug nut or an armson new.
that price is way too high for a benchmark frame. if your going to re anno it you can get one that is well used for $40.00 to $50.00 usually.

Awesome! I love the way the Armson barrels look. Since Caustic can strip the chrome off the frame I have, couldn't I just get Caustic either try to match the ano or just do a black?

luke
11-07-2018, 08:34 PM
There are so many other frame options that will work (but not a Z-Grip because it'd require removal of the VASA).

I'm pretty sure I can set up a Z2 and MicroMag FG Extender to work on a Micro. ;)

Walking Stick
11-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Correct, I love Z-grips and they can be made to work but following the principle of K.I.S.S. I think it's easier to say is doesn't.

A Benchmark frame over $75 is ridiculous; anything over $100 better be one of those fancy frames I mentioned. Benchmark/PTP/Perfect/Smart Parts/KAPP (all are from the same manufacturer) are somewhat known to not be as easy to sweet spot for the RT effect. So if you're looking for that special Mag benefit with an X/ReTro valve down the road, a standard black Intelliframe is more than sufficient and can be found for $75-100. If the RT thing is not a concern, a $30 single-trigger AGD carbon frame with the finger-grooved rubber grips can't be beat for the value and comfort!

I don't have a gen2 Micromag (denoted by the square back without a wing over the top of the valve and bolt-on ball detent structure) so I can't speak on the Autococker barrel threading issues. You may be limited to those older A/C barrels and probably SOL if looking to bore match with today's smaller paint.