PDA

View Full Version : MCB is gone

Mag-Convert
07-05-2020, 09:25 AM
Was trying to get onto MCB yesterday with no luck and had the same issue today. Logged onto the facebook page and come to find out that the site pretty much got deleted. And to think 2020 couldn't get any worse

jbtamu1011
07-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Wow, I can't get in right now either. Wonder if it was by mistake? Loved that forum.

rawbutter
07-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Me neither. I really hope it's a temporary thing. I've got a bunch of orders lined up for my SPAR valve, and MCB is the only way I know how to contact those people. :eek:

captian pinky
07-05-2020, 11:11 AM
Supposedly they changed hard drives and it messed stuff up. Carter is out of town and going to see what he and the server company can do when he gets back.

keiko_819
07-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Me neither. I really hope it's a temporary thing. I've got a bunch of orders lined up for my SPAR valve, and MCB is the only way I know how to contact those people. :eek:

Does that make AO customers front of the line?:confused:

alpha_q_up23
07-05-2020, 03:36 PM
Does that make AO customers front of the line?:confused:

If this is the case lemme know, I think I'm next for ao members, I can ship out asap

Mag-Convert
07-05-2020, 10:16 PM
So, I heard over on the facebook page that it was a hacker who deleted the site and now has all of the data for ransom, crazy stuff

trbo323
07-05-2020, 11:06 PM
So, I heard over on the facebook page that it was a hacker who deleted the site and now has all of the data for ransom, crazy stuffSo they are holding all the old threads hostage?

Not a huge loss

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nobody
07-06-2020, 01:49 AM
So, I heard over on the facebook page that it was a hacker who deleted the site and now has all of the data for ransom, crazy stuff

That sounds like conspiracy theory gone wild, because as much as the site is important to some, the revenue it costs or the value it would be is rather dubious to be held ransom.

But also, to trust the web hosting site to not only maintain but have them have a backup just in case is rather stupid.

Spinnygrass
07-06-2020, 07:42 AM
So they are holding all the old threads hostage?

Not a huge loss

How dare you Lol. It’s kind of a mess but if you are willing to wade through the window licking, fart smelling and that one guy (You know who I’m talking about) it’s alright.

cougar20th
07-06-2020, 08:26 AM
I never noticed how often I checked over there. This will help my wallet some.

rawbutter
07-06-2020, 10:24 AM

Seriously.

Does that make AO customers front of the line for SPAR valves?:confused:

I've still got two frames sitting on my bench waiting to get done. That will probably take two weeks. If MCB isn't back up by then, then yes, AO people will probably get bumped up.

I'm just glad I saved my order list on Google Docs instead of MCB. Phew.

going_home
07-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Haven't logged in over there since 2009.

Don't miss it.

;)

alpha_q_up23
07-06-2020, 01:50 PM

I literally was looking at the rtr gargoyle the night before and was gonna tell them to add me to the list but since, I guess I'll just wait and lose interest

cougar20th
07-06-2020, 04:05 PM
I literally was looking at the rtr gargoyle the night before and was gonna tell them to add me to the list but since, I guess I'll just wait and lose interest

https://m.facebook.com/remembertheronin/

alpha_q_up23
07-06-2020, 09:53 PM
I'm really wanting to see that warthog more than the gargoyle, but atm I might have to hop on the list for both when/if they come

cougar20th
07-07-2020, 06:18 AM
FYI: On facebook MCB they are saying that the database was stolen and the passwords and useraccount info has been compromised. So if you use a univeral passwork which is a bad idea to begin with you should get changing.

vintage
07-07-2020, 03:21 PM
if they come out with a new version that will give the Mag community the chance to clean up all the tech threads and missing pictures.

jbtamu1011
07-07-2020, 03:38 PM
if they come out with a new version that will give the Mag community the chance to clean up all the tech threads and missing pictures.I'd like to see this.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

alpha_q_up23
07-07-2020, 04:08 PM
FYI: On facebook MCB they are saying that the database was stolen and the passwords and useraccount info has been compromised. So if you use a univeral passwork which is a bad idea to begin with you should get changing.

Thanks for this update, I've been preaching multi-factor authentication for years, at first it was a pain but once you set it up and it's a daily motion and the new norm it's not bad

shrimp266
07-08-2020, 09:05 PM
There is a picture of a Phoenix on the webpage now

jbtamu1011
07-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Post on the FB group saying they are going to start fresh.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

trbo323
07-08-2020, 10:18 PM
Post on the FB group saying they are going to start fresh.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using TapatalkAny idea when?

Whee McGee
07-10-2020, 07:45 PM
It's up now!

cledford
07-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Sad loss of decades of accumulated knowledge - can't believe they had no backups :-(

boarder2k7
07-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Sad loss of decades of accumulated knowledge - can't believe they had no backups :-(

Checked and double checked the logs. They didn't get into the server via hacked passwords or traditional methods. Definitely a hole in the software.

So in lies the problem. Have backups, but can't just slap back up the software that they hacked.

Put on the latest and greatest software with no issues onto a new server that we also know has not been compromised. We are good now. Now comes the task of trying to import some of the old stuff, but safely and carefully. Have to go through it to make sure nothing in it is wrong also. Can't poison the new server nor do we know when it all truly happened.

Makes sense but sucks to have possibly lost all that archive of information for sure. Hopefully they'll be able to find the attack vector and patch it so things can be restored.

caylegeorge
07-21-2020, 06:53 PM

Man, yeah, its like a whole encyclopedia vanished :(

knownothingmags
07-23-2020, 10:56 AM
i keep getting notifications on tapatalk that people are posting.

captian pinky
07-23-2020, 11:38 AM
i keep getting notifications on tapatalk that people are posting.

They have rebuilt and tapatalk is working again.

Dayspring
07-24-2020, 07:49 PM
That sounds like conspiracy theory gone wild, because as much as the site is important to some, the revenue it costs or the value it would be is rather dubious to be held ransom.

But also, to trust the web hosting site to not only maintain but have them have a backup just in case is rather stupid.

When Army's account was compromised and somebody deleted half of AO, we had backups with the hosting company and I was able to restore the site. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

trbo323
07-24-2020, 10:59 PM
When Army's account was compromised and somebody deleted half of AO, we had backups with the hosting company and I was able to restore the site. It's not out of the realm of possibility.I worked for a dental tool manufacturer that got hit with ransom ware. These people just go after whoever they are able to. If someone is willing to pay, they have a payday, if not they move on.

We had a 3rd party backup as well but the way the hack worked it infected those files as well.

Thankfully it was some files from like 2009, we probably should have deleted them already...

We never told the boss, they would have freaked out...

Good times

going_home
07-24-2020, 11:00 PM
When Army's account was compromised and somebody deleted half of AO, we had backups with the hosting company and I was able to restore the site. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Thank you for that.

Dayspring
07-24-2020, 11:01 PM
Thank you for that.

All part of the service we provide here at AO. :)