PDA

View Full Version : Does temperature affect the distance a paintball goes

tazmf
03-03-2002, 04:33 PM
I am doing a 9th grade science project on the effect of temp on how far a paintball travels. I just got interested in paintball and see that accuracy is pretty tough to achieve but thinking about distance I (against label advice) tested balls at different temps including freezing and discovered that the colder balls went farthest. A lot farthest. Has anyone found that too or know why?
How would this cooler temp idea change anything in the way that we paintball today? What is the liquid in a paintball?

Thanks

FeelTheRT
03-03-2002, 04:35 PM
it does not affect the range of the ball but it does affect the size. thats why people are all hyped up about Freaks and other barrels with different bore sizes.

Jonno06
03-03-2002, 07:09 PM
actually,its obvious that the coldest ball would go farthest.It would be like shooting a marble.hetter weather swells the balls,making it not fit in the barrel,not giving it distance,maybe if this was in the deep blue,you would get better scientific answers,mods,feel free to move it if needed

Cypres0099
03-03-2002, 07:15 PM
I think it does affect the range. I do know that a golf ball, I play golf, goes farther in the summer than in the winter.

Spaceman613
03-03-2002, 07:15 PM
air density may have effects on the range. But the differences are prolly very small...

I know from my ameteur rocketry days, we wanted loe humidity for greater alititude... if I could only remember all of the variables.

Cypres0099
03-03-2002, 07:24 PM
The reason it may have a greater effect in golf is because of the distance the ball is being hit. ie. if you hit the ball 200 yrds in the summer and 180 in the winter then that is a 10% decrease and a noticeable one in the game of golf where everything is measured.

Now in paintball, I'm just going to pull some numbers out of the air here, lets say in the summer you shoot 60 yards and in the winter you shoot 10% less which would be 54 yrds which in paintball you may not notice all that much maybe just a hair.

So there are my thoughts on this. I don't know if it's right buy hey...

Restola
03-03-2002, 08:43 PM
in theory it will have SOME effect on how far it goes. temperate, humidity, and pressure all effect how something will perform in the air.

Butterfingers
03-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Nope, no diffrence. Not enough to matter. Simple physics. Make sure the velocities are the same. And the angle from the horzontal is the same. You will need a chronograph.

My bet is that you didnt chronograph to check for velocity diffrences or keep the angle of aim consistent.

Unless you want to get real specific and measure in micrometers to account for the diffrences in air density its gonna be te same given the variables of velocity and angle.

Colder balls also break easier making your effective elimination range greater.

Do a search for reasons...

All you gotta do is go to:

Search here.
PBnation
Paintball City

Search:

User Name: Butterfingers
Topic: Physics

Your teacher will tell you the same thing.

Given the same velocity, paintball (mass and shape), and angle of departure. All projectiles will go the same range out of any gun in the same conditions.

Restola
03-03-2002, 10:01 PM
i just realized i completely misread the question.

i thought he was talking about AIR temperature not BALL temperature.

its official i am an idiot.

Cypres0099
03-03-2002, 11:44 PM
I thought he was talking about air temperature too.

renegade2k
03-04-2002, 10:26 AM
well if the ball was colder (frozen especially) then it would go farther due to the increased weight. If you have 2 objects with the same size/shape but different weights the heavier one will go further shooting at the same fps. if the paintballs all weighed the same then temp would have no effect

Butterfingers
03-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Freezing does not increase weight.

Think about it. You have 1 gram of water you freeze it now how much does that 1 gram of ice weigh?