PDA

View Full Version : just have to vent

Predater
03-04-2002, 01:00 PM
is there a reason people dont use the search feature before asking about co2 in the mag? i mean there wer 3 posts on the front page in the teck forum at one time asking how to use co2 in a mag. there are so many threads about this that it shouldnt be that hard to find. i'm not trying to affend anyone but i just dont understand. it is the same ansure over and over and over.

now i feel better:) thanks for your time.

i just did a serch for the teck forum with the word "co2" and it gave 7 replys in the front page of the results that deal with this sole toppic. i really dont understand.

cphilip
03-04-2002, 01:05 PM
;)

shartley
03-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Ahhh, the old "search feature" question. ;)

Glad that I am not the only one who feels that way.... but at least people are not attacked for saying it.... any more. ;)

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-04-2002, 01:50 PM
2 things come to mind:lazy and post count

talls
03-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Haha that is exactly what I was thinking not an hour ago:D

personman
03-04-2002, 02:36 PM
I would have to agree with you guys.. If I had a quarter for every post about how to use co2 in mags, I would be able to buy Airgun Designs!

bond1313
03-04-2002, 03:46 PM
I agree completly it makes me mad that there two lazy to do a search and all they do is clog the forums with info that has been posted many times.

FooTemps
03-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Hmmmm... I didn't learn about post count and search until I hit my 600th post (pre-reset)

OldSchoolMag
03-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Foo, how DID you get reset, by the way?

OSM

2UnREal
03-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Most of the questions asked can be answered by a previous post. Plus, if you see something old that you like, just post on it and it will come to the top.

Automag ReTro
03-04-2002, 06:07 PM
About a year ago, the site crashed, deleting peoples, names, accounts, and post numbers. Some were affected, and some were not, i was. But AO is back better than ever now. w00t w00t!

FooTemps
03-04-2002, 06:14 PM
I was reset because webby was complaining about my constant posting... He wanted me to slow down.

Predater
03-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Im glad im not alone. and i hope im not reset because ive already hit 288 posts since january.:) now i understand the repetitive posts on weird leaks. its just things that are very common questions like the co2 thing. it was just having 3 posts on the front page at one time that set me off.

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-05-2002, 12:02 AM
say the word post count and foo is there. i seldom do searches(cause i already know so much ;) ), but a lot of the times when i do, it either says no matches or there's 1000 of them. i'm never too good with the searches, but most common things are posted a lot that it should be easy to find. it's just that a lot of people don't want to go through all of that to find out what they want to know. it could be right there and take almost no effort to get the info, but still people just don't take the time to look. i think we all do this in one way shape or form. maybe not here, but in other places or instances, i think we do.

Miscue
03-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Sometimes it's just easier to ask the question... than to find it. But yeah, there are particular questions that have been beat to death...

soilent green
03-05-2002, 09:12 AM
well if you think about it the people asking those questions are ussually new to the forum and may not know what to or how to search for it but I've noticed this to and alot of times I answer the same question with a similair response because in threads all on the first page it also seems no one watches the video that comes with the mag even if you don't have it get it it answers half of those questions

Restola
03-05-2002, 09:38 AM
hey guys should i get a freak kit?!

what kind of problems did you have with your hyperframe?!

RoadDawg
03-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Many new people to this site don't even know about the search feature. I never use the darn thing cause it gives me nothing but info I'm not looking for. Not to start a flame but you just did the same thing as many others are guilty of. I remember a couple months ago topics always appeared like this with the same question. I couldn't resist pointing that out. Sorry.

Nick

shartley
03-05-2002, 01:02 PM
I seldom ever have problems using the search feature.... maybe it just likes me... or I know how to use it? ;)

I think more people should actually learn to use the tools they play with each day, then they would not have to blame the tool for them not getting the results they are looking for. This is not a flame.... but since I can use the search feature with GREAT success, it can't be the tool's problem.

I hear the same thing said about Mags though... they break paint a lot. But then I hear folks say it is just that the user must simply learn the trigger...... hmmmm sounds a lot alike.

Predater
03-05-2002, 10:13 PM
roaddawg, thats funny. i was just ticked because there wer 3 posts with it in the title on the first page.

i think we need to make it a clasic with the title "co2+automag?" that way as soon as they open the forum they will see it.

i have ansured the same questions multiple tims and really dont care about it. it just ticked me off with 3 threads asking the same thing at one time.

and i didnt take it as flaiming so dont worry. i dont figure you did;)

RoadDawg
03-05-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm glad you caught the humor there. :)

It isn't the fact that I can't get it to work I just get billions of billions of responses and have to search the whole thread for the answer which in many times is just the keyword I'm looking for. Maybe I'm dumb. I'll admit it.

shartley
03-06-2002, 06:15 AM
When you find a long thread that you think actually has the answer in it (with or without using the site's search feature)... feel free to use your Ctrl+f shortcut. It will save a lot of time scanning (although when you do a search using the search feature here on AO, the keywords will be highlighted red anyway... the Ctrl+f will just bring you right TO them.)

As to how to reduce the number of responses to a search, you can try to pick more specific keywords (for a start). Many times when I do a search and don't get quite the right response (or simply too many), I just stop for a minute and ask myself if there are any other ways of "saying" or "asking" that are closer to what I really want to know. Many times there is.

However, even if I get 4 pages worth of responses, it isn't a problem for me. I scan through them and can pop to and back from them quite quickly to find what I am looking for. I know some folks are not that quick, or skilled in scanning (it does take time and practice to develop the skills to become really effective at it), so I understand that this may cause them to just give up on the search.

But on the other hand… LOL… if people learned to do effective searches it would take away a lot of repeat posts about the same questions. And that would interfere with Tom’s all coveted “Post Count” which seems to be a major focus for him lately. ;)

(Hope this helped in some small way. ;))

bofh
03-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Of course having a FAQ would be rather helpful, to determine what those often asked questions are... :)

Shaun

RoadDawg
03-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Thanks Shartley. You just taught me something I never knew about. I never knew about the Ctrl+f deal. Well thanks anyway.

Nick

Predater
03-06-2002, 12:19 PM
whare does it tell about the ctrl+f deal? thats neat and will help.

bofh has an idea. a forum with strictly facts. no posting unless otherized. the things like co2 and a mag could be in it. and other things that tend to be in the clasics at the top of the teck forum. it could be like a frequently asked questions page.

shartley
03-06-2002, 12:20 PM
bofh
VERY true.... great idea. :)

RoadDawg
No problem. :)

shartley
03-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Predater
If you are using Windows.... go to START / HELP / then use the index tab and type in shortcut keys....

Enjoy. :)

cphilip
03-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Actualy guys... you are missing half the fun of the search feature. I sometimes stumble across a gem that I had no intention of reading or was even likely to read until it popped up in a search. And then it will link to another and soon I forget what the heck I was even looking for in the first place but I learn a lot! Sort of like what happened to me when I went into the Maxim online magazine looking for the E-Mag article and low and behold I am finding the "sweet" spot on a animated woman! I never even found the AGD article but I had fun!

You guys who say it takes too long are not looking at the whole thing the right way is all. I almost wish we had a rule that the first five times you came here, You could NOT post but had to search and read so many posts before you could even post! Hows that for you.

Remember...if the site is slow that day just pick a word and do a search and explore all the wisdom and humor there already is here. Might surprise you. And be fun too!

Predater
03-06-2002, 12:37 PM
cphilip, i never thaught of that. next tim its slow in hear ill do it:D i do think we need a frequently asked questions page thow. it might slow down the constant posting on certain subjects.

RoadDawg
03-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Maxim's site is dope. I think I'm gonna spend more time there. :)