PDA

View Full Version : If you are into computers you NEED to read this

headcase
03-05-2002, 09:20 AM
"The SSSCA, among other things, will make the following illegal:
* Assembling a home-built PC.
* Using a non-secure computer (ie, a computer built before the would-be implementation of the SSSCA) on a network.
* Widespread development of open-sourced (non-copyrighted and “digitally unsigned? software.
* Use of open-sourced software (essentially the entire software platform for the UNIX and Linux operating systems, on which Computer Science research relies).
* University and corporate research on systems, debugging, security, and watermarking."

http://www.mods4me.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=163

It is a thread to a computer forum, it also has links to an article and to a petition.

Restola
03-05-2002, 09:46 AM
yeah i heard AOL is going to start charging 5 cents an email too...

lets all start a chainletter

beam
03-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Quick! We need to send this to everyone in our address books. And if they send it back that means they love orange-flavored skittles when they are sitting on the top of a 1976 Ford pickup barking at a pigeon in a red oak tree on any day not ending in "y"!!!!

Now that we have that settled.... :D

shartley
03-05-2002, 11:57 AM
I wish I had a nickel for every one of these types of things I saw since 91.
:rolleyes:

Restola
And AOL has NOTHING over the USPS.. they are going to charge for e-mail too! ;)

CRiZO
03-05-2002, 05:35 PM
eh, it'll never happen.

Havoc_online
03-05-2002, 06:37 PM
it better not happen.

AOL is just mad because Bill Gates didnt let them get a piece of the cheese.......

FeelTheRT
03-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by headcase

BIGGEST BS i've ever herd. Most real computer gammers build their PCs, if that were illegal, that would force everyone to buy a usless brand name computer...

Arman/XPM
03-05-2002, 08:37 PM
WE MUST RUN!
Lol - biggest crock me has read.
-Arman

MagMaster2
03-05-2002, 09:06 PM
<B>*POOF*</B> that how are they going to enforce that??? are they going to go door to door and inspect everyone's PC then haul away the ones that are not brand name <B>*POOF*</B>:mad: :mad: :mad:

<B>*Do not try to circumvent the cuss filter* -Miscue</B>

MantisMag
03-05-2002, 09:13 PM
has anybody followed the links and read what it actually says? it doesn't really say much. it DOES NOT say that you can't build your own computer. it says that all the parts you use must adhere to the new standards. these standards are to protect us from hackers and to stop the copyright infringement everybody loves so much. also a bunch of things that would make all hardware and software follow certain standards that are already considered good practice (nobody who knows what they're doing should not do them). nothing really horrible is in the bill. these are all things that the industry is pushing toward. the only real problem is why do we need the government to get involved? this probably won't be passed so i wouldn't even worry about it.

Snewk
03-06-2002, 12:00 AM
*puts on the BS hip-waders* thats a crock man. that would put so many companies out of business if people couldnt build their own pc's

gimp
03-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag
has anybody followed the links and read what it actually says? it doesn't really say much. it DOES NOT say that you can't build your own computer. it says that all the parts you use must adhere to the new standards. these standards are to protect us from hackers and to stop the copyright infringement everybody loves so much. also a bunch of things that would make all hardware and software follow certain standards that are already considered good practice (nobody who knows what they're doing should not do them). nothing really horrible is in the bill. these are all things that the industry is pushing toward. the only real problem is why do we need the government to get involved? this probably won't be passed so i wouldn't even worry about it.

I heard about this already, and it's the entertainment industry that is pushing for this, not the computer industry. Bill Gates is against it, even though he would probably benefit from it. Think about it, if there was no more unix, you know how much that would cripple the internet. There is no way this is going to pass. It's just a desperate attempt by the entertainment industry to stop people from pirating DVDs and Music.

Anyway, I'm totally against it.

Hasty8
03-06-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT

BIGGEST BS i've ever herd. Most real computer gammers build their PCs, if that were illegal, that would force everyone to buy a usless brand name computer...

Not only that RT but making it illegal to build our own computers would give the manufacturers a cmoplete monopoly on them, hence their computers would be illegal as well!

Man, am I glad I grew up watching the Flintstones. Now I'll know how to get by in a post-computer world!

Also, I'm number 57067 to sign the Opposition Petition to the SSSCA

WickeDKlowN
03-06-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Restola
yeah i heard AOL is going to start charging 5 cents an email too...

i thought they were charging 10 cents an e-mail? lol

PyRo
03-06-2002, 05:10 PM
That will never happen (I hope). It would be a very hard thing to do, I think that too many people would be against it for it to go through.
The only people I could see wanting something like this, is software produceers, and people from the entertainment industry. Now I don't want these people to be able to find out what i'm doing on my computer just because they are scared they're going to loose a couple dollars from me downloading songs.

Tbone
03-07-2002, 06:42 PM
I don't think they will ever ban people from building their own computers, that just sounds a little rediculous.....

http://216.40.201.155/s/contrib/guus/program.gif

pmstc
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
don't worry guys, it doesn't actually happen

Altimas
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Holy Thread Ressurection Batman...

punkncat
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah what did you set out to do?

Necro post the most absurd oldest thing on the forum?

trevorjk
01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
speaking of computers, im typing from one now! http://www.automags.org/forums/images/smilies/wow.gif

olinar
01-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I is fROm da futArR!

U AR Sayf FrOm da INterNetz!!

robnix
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
* Using a non-secure computer (ie, a computer built before the would-be implementation of the SSSCA) on a network.
* Widespread development of open-sourced (non-copyrighted and “digitally unsigned? software.
* Use of open-sourced software (essentially the entire software platform for the UNIX and Linux operating systems, on which Computer Science research relies).
* University and corporate research on systems, debugging, security, and watermarking."

http://www.mods4me.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=163

It is a thread to a computer forum, it also has links to an article and to a petition.

DOA in 2001...

MANN
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
i thought they were charging 10 cents an e-mail? lol

:tard: I thought stamps were .32??

pmstc
01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
:tard: I thought stamps were .32??
stamps are .41 now

skife
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
http://w2.eff.org/IP/SSSCA_CBDTPA/20020321_s2048_cbdtpa_bill.pdf

found the copy of bill s. 2048

then i realised this was from 2002, i felt dumb. haha

tribalman
01-15-2008, 11:18 PM
judging from what i read in the first 2 pages, looks to be the start of the horrible "net neutrality act". mr. stevens is involved in that too. (not a big truck? also saw about digital signing. that is a very very good thing. i'll read the rest later. gotta go to work. i'll post when i'm done reading it.

bornl33t
01-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm heading up a lynch mob. We are calling for the banning of anyone resurecting a threat this old and this stupid.

I hold a manure fork btw.....

Altimas
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm heading up a lynch mob. We are calling for the banning of anyone resurecting a threat this old and this stupid.

I hold a manure fork btw.....

HE USED THE WORD LYNCH! Call Al Sharpton!

xxkylexx
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek:

billybob_81067
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Quick! We need to send this to everyone in our address books. And if they send it back that means they love orange-flavored skittles when they are sitting on the top of a 1976 Ford pickup barking at a pigeon in a red oak tree on any day not ending in "y"!!!!

Now that we have that settled.... :D

I like 1976 Ford pickups... does that count??? :)

bornl33t
01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
HE USED THE WORD LYNCH! Call Al Sharpton!

That's nothing I'm now going to say...dom dom dom

NOOSE!