PDA

View Full Version : 3 on 3 speedball

theraidenproject
03-05-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm entering a "young guns" 3 on 3 tournament late next month, and i had some strategy questions. I have played speedball before, but only some pickup games, nothing serious, so i dont really know that much. I was wondering how you should set up. one front, one mid, one back? or two front one back? I dont know. Thanks a lot, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

IceCool32
03-05-2002, 03:28 PM
hmmm... Do 2 back, 1 front....it works better that way. smallest,fastest,smartest player up front. That way the flag pull can be timed correctly, and then he'll still have cover from back.

rebel_bob
03-05-2002, 03:28 PM
What me and my 3-man team do that seems to work is to put two guys up on the outsides (outter parts of the feild closest to the boundry lines) and one guy in the babck middle

like this
@ @

@

these @ being the guys

something differant might work for you

TigerMan
03-05-2002, 03:54 PM
First thing to do is find what style of players you have on your team. Are they fast, slow, smart, like to shoot alot, etc. Base your setup around that. For instance, lets say your team is fast, everyone being about the same speed. Pick a teammate who has good accuracy and can lay down paint, try him in the back. Let the two other men play the front and use their speed to their advantage, since speedball is fast paced. This may or may not work, as some players may not feel comfortable in the front or the back player might not like the back, etc. The best thing to do is see if you can find some other 3 man teams to scrimmage, and try a variety of setups. See which one works best with your teammates and yourself and work and practice around that. Good luck.

Scooter/Cootie
03-05-2002, 03:54 PM
For our 3-man team, what we usually do is run one guy to either tape and post the third guy in the back to shoot a lane then move up to play center back.

The tape guys are responsible to play the angles and shoot across the field to eliminate the other guy on the tape. Your center guy should concentrate on keeping the opposing team from moving around and also to get the flag. Once you've splashed a player on the tape, that side is blown, and your man should be hauling down that tape to try and get a better angle on the back player and the remaining tape man.

When your man runs, he's going to get a lot of attention. Dont be afraid to sneak your other tape man up a few bunkers (maybe even bunker the other tape man).

Check out the graphic below for starting positions. Just a few pointers. ;)

Cliffio
03-05-2002, 04:05 PM
tips that help any team::
-shoot lanes on the break
-do the unexpected
-communicate
-always remember, the flag pull is where the points are, pull the flag, the battle is half over
-dont get bunkered, back player(s) should know where EVERYONE on the field is at any given point in time
-back player--off the break shoot, BUT look, see where the other team is going-dont just shoot and then duck behind your bunker, chances are they wont long ball you

thats all i got for now, if i think of some more ill let you know

but the most important is to communicate, never stop talking, never leave you team mates not knowing something

holla
Cliff

rebel_bob
03-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes that was what i was trying to say but i didn't have the great illustration that Scooter/Cootie did.

Cliffio
03-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Scooter/Cootie
For our 3-man team, what we usually do is run one guy to either tape and post the third guy in the back to shoot a lane then move up to play center back.

The tape guys are responsible to play the angles and shoot across the field to eliminate the other guy on the tape. Your center guy should concentrate on keeping the opposing team from moving around and also to get the flag. Once you've splashed a player on the tape, that side is blown, and your man should be hauling down that tape to try and get a better angle on the back player and the remaining tape man.

When your man runs, he's going to get a lot of attention. Dont be afraid to sneak your other tape man up a few bunkers (maybe even bunker the other tape man).

Check out the graphic below for starting positions. Just a few pointers. ;)

only problem with all that is then when one of your guys get out, guess what? no flag pull cause your concentraded on letting your back player get the flag, that wont work, you cant win points that way, and certainly not the tourny
back players are suppose to be look-outs, not flag grabbers, you cant depend on your back player to be fast enough to get the flag, he is covering all your front players, like i said before if you dont get the flag you dont have much, you cant win tournys if you dont get the flag.
now with that said, yes angles are important, but that cant be your motivation
it starts with equality, the balance on the field has to be equal, if one side if off, guess what, your in trouble, what you can do that works, is a 3 man front, just have everyone run to about the same distance in the field
that way, if you lose someone you front player is not left alone. it works well on fast paced 3 man
and that way its easier to pull the flag if you have 3 middles/mid fronts, than if you have 2 fronts
and once you get the flag you sit back and play smart defence

thats all i got on that, i would start by trying the 3 man front, if it doesnt work or you dont like it change it up

Cliff

hardr0ck68
03-05-2002, 04:20 PM
we used to run 2 guys front one back, that makes for a short game, either it all comes togeather for you or it all falls apart before you have a chance to do much about it. Now we run a 1 front 2 back, then mid game one back player makes a move to where ever he can get the best angles.

animal
03-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Scooter/Cootie
Just a few pointers. ;)

GREAT! Now we know how to beat you guys at sams ;) Hehe.

Temo Vryce
03-06-2002, 09:16 AM
I can't tell you where you should run to, who should play which bunker, because I haven't seen the field and I haven't played with your team but what I can tell you to do is to learn to communicate with your team mates. Don't worry about fancy codes, they will only confuse you at first. Learn to communicate. Once you get that down then work on the codes. You will be amazed at how well your team will do if you communicate. I guarentee that without communication you won't win.

Scooter/Cootie
03-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by animal

Not that I'd give away <b>ALL</b> my secrets. ;)

the JoKeR
03-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by animal

I was thinking the best way would involve them only shooting left handed pump guns!

boss_automager
03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
2 mids one forward since it's 3 man boom.

:cool: :D AO member 4 ever :cool: :D