PDA

View Full Version : hey Army, Shartley or any other military genius

ronron2112
03-05-2002, 06:42 PM
hey
im writing a story about a kid who is going thorugh a marine boot camp.

what i need to know is:

1. How many weeks was a Marine boot camp in the 60's (Paris Island if that helps)

2. And what you did on those certain weeks

thanks alot!

MagMan5446
03-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Watch Full Metal Jacket.

ronron2112
03-05-2002, 07:14 PM
yea, its ones of my fav. movies, but they only have the hollywood marine training. and they dont show every week as it passes

oldsoldier
03-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Discovery channel did a special call the Crucible. You may be able to get it at a recruiter's office. Watch out for them though...those damn jarheads smell fresh meat and they come swarming like sharks. Now if you want a REAL military experience, go over to the Army recruiter...:D

Army
03-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Larry L. Maxam
Corporal
United States Marine Corps

Larry L. Maxam

Citation

Corporal Larry L. Maxam
United States Marine Corps

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Fire Team Leader with Company D, First Battalion, Fourth Marines, Third Marine Division in the Republic of Vietnam. On 2 February 1968, the Cam Lo District Headquarters came under extremely heavy rocket, artillery, mortar, and recoilless rifle fire from a numerically superior enemy force, destroying a portion of the defensive perimenter. Corporal Maxam, observed the enemy massing for an assault into the compound across the remaining defensive wire, instructed his Assistant Fire Team Leader to take charge of the fire team, and unhesitatingly proceeded to the weakened section of the perimenter. Completely exposed to the concentrated enemy fire, he sustained multiple fragmantation wounds from exploding grenades as he ran to an abandoned machine gun and commenced to deliver effective fire on the advancing enemy. As the enemy directed maximum fire power against the determined Marine, Corporal Maxam's position received a direct hit from a rocket propelled grenade, knocking him backwards and inflicting severe fragmentation wounds to his face and right eye. Although momentarily stunned and in intense pain, Corporal Maxam courageously resumed his firing position and subsquently was struck again by small arms fire. With resolute determination, he gallantly continued to deliver intense machine gun fire, causing the enemy to retreat through the defensive wire to positions of cover. In a desperate attempt to silence his weapon, the North Vietnamese threw hand grenades and directed recoilless rifle fire against him inflicting two additional wounds. Too weak to reload his machine gun, Corporal Maxam fell to a prone position and valiantly continued to deliver effective fire with his rifle. After one and a half hours, during which he was hit repeatedly by fragments from exploding grenades and concentrated small arms fire, he succumbed to his wounds, having successfully defended nearly one half of the perimeter single-handedly. Corporal Maxam's aggressive fighting spirit, inspiring valor and selfless devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Richard M. Nixon
President of the United States

Fellas, that is what Marines do. God Bless him.

R.Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket) was a real DI at the San Diego MCRD from '65 to '67. He relates that his training schedules ran 12 weeks at a time then. It varies depending on the Commandant at the time. Some have pushed it to 14 weeks, others have scaled it back to 8, but kept the same training regimine intact! That would have been a real pain!

Thor the Mighty
03-05-2002, 10:40 PM
definately full metal jacket and try reading "dead center" by ed kugler. its such a good book, ive read it literaly 12 times.

oldsoldier
03-06-2002, 03:36 AM
Army, I was only ribbing the Marines. You know how it is. We heckle one another in peacetime, but are all brothers in conflicts. No offense was meant.

edweird
03-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Hells yeah ... Just a bit of inter-service rivalry... Never hurt anyone , especially me in my single occupancy air force dorm room with a full sized bed and highspeed internet. Oh man the cable tv is out again! What will I ever do? Man its so tough to be in the airforce they treat me so bad :P j/k

Later from S. Korea
<The Axis-o-Evil Tour nov 01 - 02>
SSgt Edward Ostling Kunsan AB ROK

shartley
03-06-2002, 12:39 PM
LOL Yeah, Air Force Personnel who have to live in Army Housing can most of the time receive “substandard housing allowances”. You got it… to live in the SAME housing as Army Personnel, the Air Force guy/gal can get PAID to live there… the Army Personnel have to just be glad they HAVE housing.

I don’t know about anyone else, but there is just something wrong with that. ;)

How about our troops serving our great country but still qualifying for food stamps?

I don’t know about anyone else, but there is something REALLY wrong with THAT.

(oh.. and SSgt in the Army and in the Air Force are different too... LOL Army it is an E-6..... Air Force it is an E-5 ;))

oldsoldier
03-06-2002, 01:02 PM
LMAO! I remember when I was stationed at Ft Lewis we used to go eat in the pilots lounge...we thought their chow was outstanding! And, on top of that, they had people come and clean the table, like in a real restaurant! I was truly amazed, especially since we had just returned from a month long deployment at NTC. And the dorms...lol. We had squad rooms (4 man rooms, a common bathroom for the floor), and these guys had 2 man, carpeted rooms, with their own bathroom! I briefly considered changing my career....didnt though, because, as a grunt, I learned to appreciate the small comforts. Like standing under a tree to stay less wet when it is raining... ;)

Army
03-06-2002, 09:45 PM
OldSoldier; nope no offense taken or noted. I found that citation on the web, and was saddened that such good men have to die. I am also honored that he was an American fighting man, doing his duty to the end. That is courage that too few know or understand.

We were on our way back from Ft.Polk, when we bumped into a few AF cargo pilots. Now, up until this point, we were really jazzed at the amount of per-diem we were recieving for this trip. Then we overheard one tell the other, that he wasn't sure if he will have enough left over from his per-diem check, to go to Mexico again, after the Hawaii trip!

We Army guys just about pooped our BDU's! I was just happy that I was going to be able to make a car payment!

blembiggity
03-06-2002, 10:16 PM
wow sounds like the air force has it made, oh yeah i am in the air force. man it suxs to go to japan tdy and get paid 110 dollars a day to drink beer and party. anyone who has a complaint is just jealous that they didnt join the AF and are stuck doing time in the field. i do however respect the other services because u are the ones that let me do what i do in the air force. we fix the jets from a remote location and send them off to fight. u all are in the heat of the fight and are doing a great job. i am not doggin those who serve proud i am just dogging those who hate the air force.

shartley
03-07-2002, 06:11 AM
blembiggity
First I would like to thank you for doing your part to protect our great nation.

Now that that is said…

anyone who has a complaint is just jealous that they didnt join the AF and are stuck doing time in the field.
I did not see anyone “complaining” that they joined the wrong service. And anyone who does not see a MAJOR problem with the way funds are divvied out to the various services is simply blind. I never complained because I spent time in the field, I LOVED my job. But there is a problem when soldiers can not feed their families without further Government Assistance, or make (as Army put it) their car payments.. while other service members in other branches live high on the hog (while doing less).

i am not doggin those who serve proud i am just dogging those who hate the air force.
I did not see anyone HATE the Air Force here. The services work as a team. And as in football, take away one member and the team is less effective. We need them ALL. They all provide different services and fill different rolls.

But the issue of payment and support for our troops is a totally different matter. Great, I am happy that the Air Force has it so well. However, saying that the Army deserves as much is not saying you hate the Air Force. It is attitudes like the one you expressed that make some of the uninformed feel the Air Force not only fly in the sky, but keep their noses their as well…. which is not quite accurate. And then bragging about it only makes it worse.

I have worked with many great Airmen and they all agreed that the differences are atrocious. Of course they would not complain about what THEY got, but never rubbed it in our faces. When I was in the Service, we did the math… we found out that most soldiers were not even making minimum wage (this included adding benefits).

i do however respect the other services because u are the ones that let me do what i do in the air force. we fix the jets from a remote location and send them off to fight. u all are in the heat of the fight and are doing a great job.
Thank you. Please keep that in mind the next time you want to make statements like your others. I am sure you meant no harm, but the way it looked was not good.

i hope u understand
(Typing like that aggravates me, greatly. And even more coming from a service member. Sorry, pet peeve.):rolleyes:

oldsoldier
03-07-2002, 07:12 AM
Ok, i think we have had enough of this topic anyway. We all know how we feel, and the public doesnt realize al the sacrifices that military men and women make on a daily basis. And the fact that we are the lowest paid proffesionals in America. Like I said before though, those of us that serve, know the interservice rivalries. But they all go away on the battlefield. One of the greatest things for a grunt to hear on the battlefield is the sound of an A-10 screaming in low and slow. We all have different jobs, and each service pays their people differently (no in rank, but benefits). I hold nothing personally against anyone who takes the oath to defend their country against ALL enemies...but, I can still poke fun! ;) o, to all who have served, do serve, or will serve, it will ALWAYS be an honor to tip back a brew with you. No matter where or when or what branch. Take pride in what you do. Remember, not every american puts their country first. You do.

Take a moment to remember those who dont return.

blembiggity
03-07-2002, 02:31 PM
hey shartley, i didnt mean to get u so mad and offend u. i know all about being broke so dont go there. u said something that i found interesting. u said that the funds the DOD are giving to the services arent split up evenly. most of the reason the facilities and the living standards are so high in the air force is because we raise alot of the money. we have base inspection teams come in and check the facility, if it is a nice place u get money. it is all in the work of us airman to keep our facilities up tight.

second thing that i found funny was that u said we get more and do less, in other words. those werent your exact words but something to that nature. first off i work on the F-16 and the A-10 every day, which as u all know are in direct ground support for the army. i would also like u to know that i work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week and i go home feeling good. there arent many jobs out there where that takes place. i would have to say that yes there are some job out there that people do basiclly nothing, but to generalize and say that we all get paid for doing nothing isnt fair. everyone in the service works together, yes. i think it isnt fair to say that just because we play hard doesnt mean we dont work hard as well. i am sorry if i offended anyone but i hate to hear that the air force is this weak force. i didnt say that anyone on here said anything like that but who does everyone think keeps these jets up that are doing the bombing runs.

Thor the Mighty
03-07-2002, 02:34 PM
my grandpa who was in the navy during ww2, and my great uncle who is my grandpa's brother who was a marine during ww2, always have this rivalry! its so funny. i remember one time they were fighting and my grandpa was like "now gene (thats his name), the marines are a department of the navy so you cant make fun of navy men" so my great uncle said "yeah its the mens department" and that shut my grandpa up for a while.

my grandpa hates the fact that i want to be a marine! ITS GREAT!

shartley
03-07-2002, 02:58 PM
blembiggity
Thank you.

As for the other stuff.. you clearly took what I said WAY out of context and make it appear that I was saying something that I was most definately not. I am sorry you obviously took what I said wrong, and even more sorry that you would twist my words to support your argument and make it look like I was saying things in a manner so far from what they actually were. (Typical "make the other guy look bad" tactic.)

I will not even try to explain further, my last paragraph should be enough. Please try that crap with someone else.. I don't play like that. I am not upset, but will not continue this.

obsolete898
03-07-2002, 06:48 PM
HOO RAH Air Force!!! We got the big bombs.

Hemlock86
03-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Im in the USAF...I hate my job :/ PRP sux
only like 10-15 bases our career feild can go to :/ Most are in places like North Dakota/ New Mexico/ Wyoming / Montana ... sux!

I want to cross train into something cool, like...hmmm..any job that goes to Japan or Germany!

look up KUMSC! this place is weak

Hemlock86
03-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Obsolete is a nooB!!!!!!!!!!

muhahahahha! :D