PDA

View Full Version : Refereed First Tourney. Just a question for the forum.

martlet1
03-05-2002, 09:03 PM
My speedball team hosted a 2 man tourney this weekend with 29 teams showing up. We ran a round robin format in 4 divisions, 7,7,7,and 8 teams. So lets just say I refed a BUNCH of games this weekend. A question came up that I hadn't run into before. A player was called out by a ref, and when he came off the field and showed the ultimate ref (which was me) the break, it looked like an old hit from a previous game, but there was still some shell on his jersey. I told him that it was his responsibility to make sure he was clean when he entered the field. The ref that called him out, came over, and stated that he did not see the actual break, but on a called paint check, he called the player out because of the paint and shell on the jersey.
Another ref came over and stated that, he too, believed it was an old break, but there was still shell on the jersey.
What should we have done? I called him out and did not replay the game, due to my belief that he should have had his teammate check him for breaks before he entered the field..........
your thoughts??????

LawFox32
03-05-2002, 09:08 PM
He should have cleaned himself off, your the head reff, its your call so I think you got it right, you should always clean yourself off after play

nutz
03-05-2002, 09:11 PM
your right on :D

Load SM5
03-05-2002, 09:11 PM
I think you made the right call. It's a player's responsibility to clean off hits from previous games or point out paint in places not easily cleaned (on tank regs, etc) before the game starts.

lopxtc
03-05-2002, 09:14 PM
Having run into this before as a ref I can say two things ..

1) Good call by you field ref's .. it is the job of the players to clean after each round.

2) Good job in backing your ref's .. I have been to too many games where the head ref was bowing to pressure and over-turning the field ref's call .. good job.

Aaron

martlet1
03-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Cool.
That was the only protest we had the entire day, and we reffed so many games I couldn't count. Every team played a minumum of 6 games. And we had 29 teams. I was really proud of our crew. It was about 35 degrees, and rained most of the afternoon. Most of us are sick today.

cphilip
03-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Sounds like a good call to me. Reguardless of the sideline chatter once he is called out he cannot re-enter the game. The most you can do is not give elimination points for him but in this case even that would be wrong. Only if there had been no paint at all and the ref had made a bad call could you consider doing that.

dmonahan
03-06-2002, 01:16 PM
You made the right call. He should have made sure he was clean before the game started. I would and have done the same thing.

RoadDawg
03-06-2002, 01:34 PM
I've never played in a tourny but that call sounds reasonable to me.

Telefragged
03-06-2002, 03:03 PM
That is actually present in the new NPPL rules, I found 'em at www.roughneckpaintball.com check 'em out. According to them, you made the right call, it most certainly is the responsibility of the players to clean off any breaks after a game.

Chef123161
03-06-2002, 04:16 PM
If I see shell semblance of a hit, old or new, I call them out. It is there responsiblity to get rid of the old hits after each game.

Hexis
03-06-2002, 04:20 PM
I agree with everyone, I think you made the correct call. Since there is no real way to tell which game the shell was from, you have to assume the worst and call him out. Good job.

spacemanspiff
03-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Yup that was the right call man.
I've been called out on that technicality before. And it does suck but it was my bad and I've learned to make sure I'm clean everytime I walk onto a game.

Timmy63
03-06-2002, 06:16 PM
I also agree with everyone else. Way to stick to your guns. I second lopxtc, good job backing your field refs and not giving in to pressure.

boss_automager
03-06-2002, 07:39 PM
You made the right call he should have wiped it off after the game.

martlet1
03-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Thanks, this just validates what we did a little more for me. My team and I discussed protests and such before the game, and I have enough faith in them to make correct calls. The only time I was going to override a situation is if two refs gave opposite calls. That did not happen at all that day amazingly.
Thanks AO!