PDA

View Full Version : Need running advice

slateman
03-06-2002, 04:28 PM
I was just wondering if I needed any special shoes to run? Not in a race or anything but for my own personal fitness. Also if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Hasty8
03-06-2002, 04:32 PM
I just started running and besides a light running shoe, some reflective or light colored clothing if running at night, a good set of stretches and a walkman you should be fine.

The only reason you want a light shoe is because a heavier shoe, say a cross trainer type sneaker, would tire you out to quickly.

I also recommed a medium sized camelback. HYDRATE OR DIE!

oldsoldier
03-07-2002, 07:26 AM
I've been running for years. A good place to check that out is runner's world. I dont know if they have a website, but it is a mag. they give great tips for beginners. A few words of advice; warm up before you run. Do pushups, jumping jacks...anything to get the heartrate up. Next, dont overdo it. run 3 times a week, slow pace, 20 mins to start. ALWAYS stretch after...your muscles are more limber, and you need to get the lactice acid out of them.
When you feel ok doing 3 times a week, add another day. Eventually, work to 5 days. When you hit that, start varying your routine. Here is where I am am now; 1st day, 2 1/2 jog. 2nd day, 3 mile LSD (Long SLow Distance) 3rd day. off. 4th day, 21/2 jog. 5th day, 2 miles for time. 6th day, sprints. 7th day, off.
Just remember, dont push it. If you hurt, skip running that day. Most people push it, then end up hurt. Take it slow and easy, look up that website, and good luck!

bornl33t
03-07-2002, 10:57 AM
walkman is oldshool, get a MP3 player... less weight, less hassle ;) :D

Mango
03-07-2002, 11:19 AM
I've owned just about every running shoe there is, and in my opinion the best are Asics Gel series with the Duomax shock system. They are very light, and you get a lot of miles out of them. Nike are junk in my opinion. But you have to try out your own and see whats best for you. Also, you should check the wear patterns on your shoes after a while. You might be an overpronator, underpronater, etc. Runner's world will tell you a lot about that. Just make sure you get a light shoe with very good shock obsorbtion.

Butterfingers
03-07-2002, 11:25 AM
I ran alot back in the day 3-4 miles a day 6 days a week, I dropped from 220lbs to 140lbs in 7 months people thought I was on crack.

Im up to a healthy 175-180 now.

All you really need are running shoes that are comfortable and some light clothing. A rio 500 mp3 player is optional but it makes the time go by faster. Padded socks or insoles are nice too.

Cha0tic
03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
streching does everything. a nice pair of shoes really help as far as, say, shin splints go. it will also be easier on the muscles. asics(man i can't spell) are the best running shoe.

Zumina
03-07-2002, 10:39 PM
up hill running is THE BEST. It sculpts your leg muscles in a matter of weeks. Start off slow, keep breathing at a steady rate; try to maintain this rate throughout your entire run.