PDA

View Full Version : Should my $45 Sp barrel perform better then my $110. Dye?

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Yup, My Progressive shoots more accurate then my 12" Boomstick. This is crap cause my SP came in the package and I thought the boomstick would give me more performance, not its not true. Is this normal?????????

Jonno06
03-06-2002, 07:10 PM
i bet dollars to donuts that its b/c the progressive has a better paint2barrel match than the boomie,what paint?

Tunaman
03-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Every gun is different...find the barrel that works and stay with that. I have seen worse barrels shoot better than boomies!:D

Predater
03-06-2002, 07:17 PM
has anyone heard of paint berrel match:D

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Im using Diablo Blaze...Its what our field is using, so I have no choice.

I hate the fact I waisted $110 on crap!! Thats $110 I could have put towards a Retro valve! or an Intelliframe!!!!

Why do ppl rate this barrel so high on PBreview if they suck?

peace

boss_automager
03-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Now that is just plain strange even with a perfect match it shouldn't out preform a bomstick!:confused:

Tufiremn
03-06-2002, 07:25 PM
I know the best barrel that I have owned was a SP venturi. They don't seem to get much hype, but they are quiet, accurate, and only run around $50. I have one on my Spyder, and will soon have one on my RtPro. It didn't seem to matter what paint I put through it, it always shot great.

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 07:35 PM
How should the ball fall through the barrel? Loose or tight? The boomstick is tight and the progressive almost falls right through.......

peace

MikeCouves
03-06-2002, 07:40 PM
With a good paintball to barrel match you should be able to blow the ball lightly through the barrel. Not super light kind of in the middle from light and hard. If it goes through then you are in the green.

If it's way too tight and you can't even get it through, you are going to get a crap load of breaks because they will all break in the barrel.

If the paint is way too loose you won't bee able to shoot very well unless you have a spcaer in the front of your barrel like on the OTP series. If it's too loose the air will escape around the ball and when you shoot the ball will fall out.

It's pretty tough to get the right paintbal to barrel match every time you play, that's why it's DEFINATELY worth investing in a Freak Kit, they are god...

Jonno06
03-06-2002, 07:42 PM
well,since you hate your boomie so much,i would take it off your hands

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Thx.......Do you guys recomend the FreaK?

I think Im going to stick with my current barrels for now...save for other upgrades or an Emag.

peace

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Jonno06

Let me mess with it for a few more weeks, If Im still sick of it, Ill sell it to ya.... :/

peace

Kevmag
03-06-2002, 08:05 PM
I used a Boomstick w/ a C98 and it broke paint like crazy. Paint to barrel seemed fine (could blow thru). I was shooting new PMI Premium.

I was very surprised as other swear by this barrel.

Switched barrel to Lapco and problem solved.

Predater
03-06-2002, 08:13 PM
most people at my field think DYE berrels are over rated. i have an 6 year old boblong stainless that was 60 bux and it is better than any dye ive ever seen.

rebel_bob
03-06-2002, 08:27 PM
I agree Dye barrel's can be good depending on what type of paint you use but they arent worth 120$ my Lapco Bigshot shots better than my boomie even eith them both haveing good paint match.

Now that I am older and smarter i would just buy a Lapco or Custom Products they seem to work best for me, but thats also just me:)

Aliens-8-MyDad
03-06-2002, 08:35 PM
alright.. i was thinking, if paint to barrel match was the key, why doesnt every one use there stock barrel and find a paint that works well instead of buying a 110 dolar barrel and looking for a paint to fit that!? i dont understand. i wouldnt want $110 of quietness...

Predater
03-06-2002, 08:42 PM
the paint berrel match thing is true but the stock berrel isnt honed as well as after market berrels.

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-06-2002, 11:12 PM
i got a dye ultrlight for a pretty good deal off of this kid i know. shoots diablo blaze great. i was going to buy it off of him then sell it, but i shot it and it's awesome. glad i stuck with it.

freak is garbage. i never have had more barrel breaks than in my freak. very dissatisfied.

PAINTBALLA01
03-06-2002, 11:16 PM
i think thats kindof strange b/c i have a progressive barrel and it sucks

Snooky
03-06-2002, 11:30 PM
i have a 16" boomy and have never had one problem with it in my life. very good barrel and really accurate in my opinion. i also have a 12" jacko which i now use cause i like the looks of the jacko on the mag. the jacko shoots like a dream so im confused on which to use. but i love both of my barrels.

Hemlock86
03-06-2002, 11:51 PM
I'll let ya know what Im more happy with after this weekend of paintballing...so far im not impressed by the Boomstick. Maybe I should have gotten the 16" instead of the 12". If worst come to worst, there always is the SP AA, those are da bomb!

HyperSnyper
03-06-2002, 11:59 PM
Well,

I have no doubt to Hemlocks situation. My DYE Boomy shoot s great with fresh paint. Humidity here in Hawaii here sux cause it really swells paint.

What I noticed with the DYE barrels are that they seem a little tighter than supposed to be. Paint from my 690 JT has a hard time going theough my standard 688 Boomy.

I noticed when I first usd the JT was that my Mag was shooting 280 with Slightly old Marbs. They had decent consistency, but seemed to have a slight hook at the end. The JT 690 barrel had a drop of about 15 fps, but noticed there was no hooking whatsoever. My games are a little better other than the fact that I have to top off my tank a little earlier in the day.

Your Boomy would shoot darts if the paint was match perfectly. Read Tom Kayes barrel matching in the Tech articles. Very very informative.

I still have the Boomy along with my partial barrel set.

Guess which one I use when I play...?

-Hyper

Snooky
03-07-2002, 12:55 AM
im curently in the process of selling my 12" AA because i no longer needed it after i got my boomy. Just never saw the performance i did with my boomy. i still have to try the jacko out at a field. but i have shot it in my backyard and i was pleased.