PDA

View Full Version : Ball Chopping a Myth?

mercury
03-07-2002, 06:51 PM
I just wanted to say that my Automag RT is not the ball chopping beast everyone makes it out to be. When I first got it a few weeks ago, it chopped about 1 in 20 balls. This was very discouraging considering the money I spent on it. I expected it to chop a few per case but nothing like I had to deal with. I was cleaning my barrel and powerfeed as well as physically pushing balls into the chamber because of a gooped up powerfeed more than I was actually playing the game. Well, being the newbie I am, it turns out that a foamie bolt tends to chop paint if it doesn't have a foamie. I recently bought a foamieless bolt from a friend and it has got to be the best purchase I have made yet. I shot a case of paint today without a single break. To top it off, that case was a case of Brass Eagle paint. I couldn't be happier and just thought I'd give some hope to those who have paint chopping problems. </monologue>

Load SM5
03-07-2002, 06:54 PM
You could also just throw a new foamie on your foamie bolt. It's a lot easier on the more fragile paints than the foamiless kind.

RoadDawg
03-07-2002, 07:13 PM
In all my years playing that is the first time I've heard something good happening with Brass Eagle paint.

MikeCouves
03-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Lol RoadDawg. Yeah I never break with my AGD stock short nose bolt, I love it!!

mercury
03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
I do have foamies on order (local field doesn't carry them), but my friend happened to have a slightly used foamiless bolt that he sold me for $15 so I bought it. I am very happy with it and when my foamies come in, I will try that bolt as well.

Bob Mundon
03-07-2002, 09:35 PM
i got my minimag in monday and me and my friend test fired it in my back yard with super old great american paint with no troubles, of course i didnt shoot an entire case through it, but i woulda figured at least one since they were so old

AGD
03-08-2002, 12:56 AM
The problem is that the guns USED to chop but the new Parabolic Power Feed Plug fixed that. Now that we have updated thousands of guns the problem is no worse than any other gun and usually has roots in other problems like nubbins or short stroking. Paintball now has its persistent myths that are hard to shake. We continue having a hard time shaking this one. It's up to all of you to help us do it. If you think about it if all the guns chopped as bad as people say we would be flooded with complaints here on the forum. Maybe thats a good comeback, if it were true everyone would be *****ing at Tom directly!

AGD

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-08-2002, 01:31 AM
parabolic powerfeeds. PARABOLIC POWERFEEDS! ok, i'm wierd but i just have to say this. i own 5 mags. not a single one of them has a parabolic powerfeed. the 2 that i've had chopping problems with, had nothing to do with the powerfeeds. i always hear that this is such a neccesity, but yet i never really have had a feeding problem. i've gotten my retro to 10bps(yes with a chrono/rof machince, whatever) and not chopped. do i just have really good luck or is it not that big a thing as it sounds to be?

mercury
03-08-2002, 05:17 AM
I have the parabolic plugs on the way, but even without them, I still had a very good day yesterday. :)

tysonmachado
03-08-2002, 09:48 AM
When I bought my first automag used it came without a powerfeed plug. I actually played a day with a wine cork in the bottom of my powerfeed and only had two breaks in about 500 balls. Of course, on game I missed a perfect shot because the cork had been pushed in a little so paint couldn't fall into the breech.