PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to get hit?

J
03-08-2002, 09:38 PM
I know this must sound strange, but I was thinking about it last time I was playing. It is part of the sport, without it, the game would have no sense. Yet is the goal of a great paintball player to hit everyone else, and not get hit? Or is it to hit as many before one gets hit? Though a first time newbie will stay in the back, not get hit- this does not mean he is successful. Last time I was playing, I had an opening to jump up and get like 4 people out, but I would surely be hit. That made me think about this, and I'm just curious what other people think.

FooTemps
03-08-2002, 11:11 PM
Paintball follows the philosopy of tag. Especially games like "everybody's it" and "team tag" and "cature the flag". Paintball is just a more tactical extention of the ideas of tag. Have any of you played water balloon "capture the flag"? That's basically what paintball is but faster in most cases. You want to stay alive and you want to get someone out so you can win. I personally don't like getting flags because that's just boring. The action is where people are trying to get each other out so the idea of "tagging more is better than staying alive" is more appealing to more experienced players while newbs like to stay away from the action because they don't want to get out. But in doing so, the newbies never get anyone out and leave the game up to all of the regulars, and experienced players.

Paintball includes these factors:
1. The ability for anyone to tag anyone (everybody's it)
2. Multiple teams to play against (team tag/soak 'em)
3. Flags and tactics (most cases of capture the flag)

Yes, paintball is shooting instead of tagging but you get the idea.

Every good player wants to win. Most of the time it is impossible to just capture the flag without taking out the team. Hence all the good players try to take out every obsticle possible. They want to stay alive the longest to better the odds of winning but they also will have the make the descision to play decoy, surrender, or get hit if they are becoming a burden or nusiance(sp?) to the team.

ZSigErik
03-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Yeah Well, my take on the whole thing is, Whats Best For the Team? If me getting hit in a certain situation will benefit my team, then Ill take that, but if it wont then I wont, plain and simple, always for the majority, never the minority...

Cha0tic
03-09-2002, 09:00 AM
ok, you have a chance to get some people out, but you may be picked off instead. if you are successfull, you can make a big inpact for your team. you must take the chance. you never know what will happen.

as Tom says, if you don't get hit, your not playing hard enough....

Vegeta
03-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Foo, That anology is mine and you know it! As I explained in other recent posts in the mian forum, paintball is an extension of tag. But instead of having to touch the person, you shoot a ball at them with a marker. Simple enough? Of course it's ok to get out. As long as you do something beforehand.. otherwise its pretty useless.

Aranarth
03-10-2002, 01:34 AM
Sometimes its essential to get tagged out, just to be that distraction needed to get other people into position so you can take control of a field. The objective is to elimiate the other team. You don't do this by yourself (usually :) ) you do it with your team. Hence the whole teamwork thing we always talk about. Pretty much what everyone else is saying, think.
-AranarthX

cphilip
03-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Ummmm...this is Deep blue....and this is not Deep Blue material. Going to main with it.

mykroft
03-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Well, it depends on the particular game being played.

If it's straight elim, the object is to tag as many opposing players as possible without getting hit. If it's Capture the Flag, it's to secure the flag and return it to the appropriate base, so if you get hit while furthering that goal it's no biggy. If it's attack and defend, when you are attacking, it's OK to take a hit digging defenders out of a position, while if you are defending, survival is paramount, over all else.

soilent green
03-11-2002, 12:41 PM
when I first started playing with a talon about 3 1/2 years ago I was mostly concerned with not getting hit to bad but when I got my m98 I became crazy and charged people and ended up dieing the way I see it it depends on your situation if your hole team is still alive and you can get two of em its worth it if you are the only one alive it isn't

DJSOLID
03-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Taking chances is fun... sometimes you win, sometimes not. If you never try you sure won't win.

HoppysMag
03-11-2002, 01:45 PM
if i know im about to go out, due to gun problems, no paint ect.. i try to take someone down with me.. thats when i kamakazee. but normaly i like to take out atleast a 2 to 1 ration... i want to take 2 of them befor i get out.

Panzerr
03-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Heck yeah it's okay to get hit. I don't feel like I've done my job unless I've been hit a few times.

Hexis
03-11-2002, 02:46 PM
mmm suicide charge in a big game, most fun ever.

slayer
03-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Some may argue that the best way to win is not to get out. Of course you must be in range of the opponent almost all the time, and able to shoot at someone, or at least keep more than one persons attentions. The longer you stay in the game, and the more fairly well aimed shots you get off the better chance you have of eliminating someone. Individual technical excellence, will not make up for teamwork but it is the foundation of any successful team that I know of. Practice staying tight snapshooting and then learn to accurately shoot tight to cover. Then learn how to stay tight, be accurate and snap out of cover and back behind. If you play you will be shot, but I don't completely subscribe to the idealogy that if you are not shot out then you aren't playing hard enough. Generally speaking, when I play if I am not shot out then my team wins, if I am shot out then they lose. Not because I am the best player but because we are working together and I am able to successfully harass opponents. My team mates get most of the eliminations, I make the other team worry :)

pumpamatic
03-11-2002, 07:05 PM
I say if you don't get hit, remake the teams. You either have too easy of competition, or aren't playing hard enough. If you have a chance to take a key position out of the way, then do it even if you risk getting hit. If you have a chance to take some putz out who isn't really a threat while you could get hit, use your own judgement and ask yourself if it's worth it.

SyntaxError
03-11-2002, 07:56 PM
When I first started I remember considering myself successful if, at the end of a game, I was still in. However, I have come to the conclusion that if you don't get hit by the end of the day, you're not playing.

If a person hangs way back, doesn't eliminate anyone, and their team wins, no they're not successful. However, if they eliminated some people, pushed up the field, and generally affected the game in some way, then yes they are.

MidnightRider
03-11-2002, 11:19 PM
In the situation yesterday I took the hit. The game came down to a 3v1, my partner and I rushed the bunker. I went right and got taged. My partner went left and was able to make the elimination. When done right you can "take one for the team".

Good luck in all things you try.

Peace

MR

LaW
03-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by MidnightRider
In the situation yesterday I took the hit. The game came down to a 3v1, my partner and I rushed the bunker. I went right and got taged. My partner went left and was able to make the elimination. When done right you can "take one for the team".

Good luck in all things you try.

Peace

MR

Taking one for the team is fine in rec ball but if it were a tournament game and it came down to it you wouldn't want to do it that way... points are important and you'd be giving some to the other team :)

Panzerr
03-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Elimination points are pretty trivial compared to flag hang points in most tournaments.

Dayspring
03-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by soilent green
when I first started playing with a talon about 3 1/2 years ago I was mostly concerned with not getting hit to bad but when I got my m98 I became crazy and charged people and ended up dieing the way I see it it depends on your situation if your hole team is still alive and you can get two of em its worth it if you are the only one alive it isn't

Dude- PUNCTUATION IS YOUR FRIEND! ;)

RT_Luver
03-29-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by slayer
I am able to successfully harass opponents. My team mates get most of the eliminations, I make the other team worry :)

I'm exactly the same way. Have fun witht he game dont ALWAYS worry bout eliminations.But it is fun to have um