PDA

View Full Version : i want an gun but i am a begginer. i have $300 and i dont want a crap gun

skatebord156
03-09-2002, 09:00 PM
i am a begginer paintballer and i want to buy a gun.
i was interested the the spyder e's. are they any good.
i have $300 to spend does anybody have any advice.
and yes i have already played and i used a carbine but i want something that will last me.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
03-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Get a mag.

MikeCouves
03-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Get a used Automag. The Automag is an excellent paintball gun that you can rely on day after day. It will perform great and you will find it the most easy to use paintball gun in the world. You will not be disspointed with the Mag! Here's a link to the "Classified" forums where ayou can browse and sell paintball gear for free:

Classified Forum (http://www.automags.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11)

You can also try eBay, which is great for paintball gear too:

eBay's Site (www.ebay.com)

Good luck!

ThePatriot
03-09-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, i know him personally(he lives where i used to live) and i think hes lookin more in the spyder/tippman range, i dont think an electro is right for him at the start, but i reccomended the black dragun. It's not too complicated, and its pretty reliable(from what ive seen) Could ya give him some more advice and maybe not try and only reccomend mags, he gets the point, lets be non biased here plz :)

mykroft
03-09-2002, 09:13 PM
The Spyder E's aren't worth the money.

For $300 I have two suggestions.

1. Used Mag, make sure it has a Powerfeed (Feed tube crosses body, instead of only sticking out one side) and an expansion chamber (Thick Foregrip), these two options provide better performance.

2. Sentinel. This is a new Marker with a similar design to the Spyder, but much better manufacturing. It takes Cocker barrels, so any barrels you by will be usefull in the future (Cocker Barrels are the most common type, it's also sometimes called WGP threading) and it's vertical feed, so no messing with elbows. And the Anodizing is excellent.
Check out www.actionmarkers.com for details.

3. The Black Draguns aren't bad, but have 2 huge downfalls:
1. they're distributed by Paintball Inc (AKA National Paintball Supply, 32 Degrees), so customer support is going to suck.
2. They use all Spyder aftermarket parts, that means non-standard bottomlines and metric threading, so any accessories you buy are going to by spyder/BE/JT/Black dragun only, your nice $40 bottomline won't work on your new Cocker or Mag, The Sentinel uses standard parts, as does the Pirahna.

remember you are going to need a mask, hopper and tank in addition to your marker in order to play, CO2 should be fine for either marker.

HoppysMag
03-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Enter the savoir....
http://www.actionvillage.com/010-1012-1.html
http://www.actionvillage.com/010-1012.html

Great guns i have the power feed one..

DOWNWITHANGELS
03-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Starting off with the Spyder/Tippman guns are what most do including me, but the more you play, the less you more anxous you will become to get an upgraded gun like a mag or cocker. I would suggest going on e-bay and getting the most for your money with a mag. Cockers are good too, but they have more problems than mags and cost more. I would buy a powerfeed mag and build onto it, and I'm not just saying this cause this is the Automag Forum. Its definately the best way to go.

pito189
03-09-2002, 09:55 PM
I agree that starting with a higher end gun is the way to go. I started with a spyder, and it was great. Word of advice though. You will want to upgrade, you will want to upgrade. Paintball is addictive, and there are so many aftermarket pieces for you gun that you will want to by some of them. You can start off with a spyder/tippman, and upgrade them and they will get to the level of stock cockers/mags. Or you can start off with the higher end gun, and upgrade from there.
Basically you just have to decide what you want to do. All the guns that have been recommended so far are great guns. The mags are going to be alittle more on the expensive side if you still have to purchase a mask and CO2.

slateman
03-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by skatebord156
i am a begginer paintballer and i want to buy a gun.

No one mentioned this so I will (shame on you guys;) )

You need to make sure you get a mask, a good one. It might be a good idea to save up some more money. That way you can get a good mask. That is definatly the most important thing.

As for a gun, I'd definatly recomend a an automag (what did you expect:D ) But first save up some more money

ThePatriot
03-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by pito189
All the guns that have been recommended so far are great guns. The mags are going to be alittle more on the expensive side if you still have to purchase a mask and CO2.

He mentioned he needed a mask...

tysonmachado
03-09-2002, 10:37 PM
I'd go with a Tippmann M98 or one of the pirahnas. From what I've seen personally they are both reliable guns for a low price. And either one would be an excellent back-up when and if you eventually decide to buy something higher end.
The nice thing about the Pirahna is that there are a lot of aftermarket parts for them and they are much higher quality. Everytime I have used a Spyder somthing falls off or broken paint shell gets wedged between the bolt and bolt housing.

liigod
03-09-2002, 10:58 PM
Spyders are Great guns. If you want something alittle higher performence... get a nice used cocker. 300 will actually get u a used bushmaster... but uneed to buy a an air tank tthen.

Sqweezer
03-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Please dont buy a cocker for your first gun.

the JoKeR
03-10-2002, 08:24 AM
So are you looking for used setups? If so, I've got a Tippmann 98, aftermarket barrel and other upgrades, co2 tank, and mask that would run less than your $300 limit. Let me know if you want details.

DOWNWITHANGELS
03-10-2002, 08:26 AM
Cocker are nice guns, I will admit, but more problems come with cockers, and being a beginner, you wont know how to deal with them and you wont want to deal with them.

mercury
03-10-2002, 03:58 PM
I found myself in a similar position a few month or so ago. I went ahead and bought a used Automag RT because I figured I would save more money in the long run by just buying a higher-end marker right off the bat. After working out some problems with help from many of these forum members, I am now very happy with my mag. I have put a few cases through it with absolutely no problems that weren't caused by myself. It is very reliable and simple to disassemble, reassemble, and troubleshoot. I would suggest looking on ebay or something similar as you can often find good deals on markers and packages, many from people who just need to sell their markers for extra cash or something.

AGDmagman2001
03-10-2002, 04:07 PM
I'd say:
Automag-reliable as dirt, easiest gun to take care of, good performance and upgrade path

Tippmann-overal good beginner gun, fair amount of upgrades, reliable

Spyder Flash-from what I've heard this is a very nice gun for the price

ThePatriot
03-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Well guys, he decided on a Cocker. I think this was a pretty stupid move, but its not my choice....its his. He bought it today from 888 paintball, and considering the only ppl he plays with are some friends in renegade ball(all use tippman/spyders) except one who has a cocker, hes all alone without any maitenance support. He made a bad decision

Predater
03-10-2002, 06:08 PM
the back block is cool:rolleyes: . what was he thinking thow

the JoKeR
03-10-2002, 08:22 PM
But it LOOKS cool!:rolleyes:
Never mind the fact that without help from somebody that knows Cockers that's as far as it'll get.... This might be a good time for you go get in line and offer to buy it from him in a month nice and cheap!