PDA

View Full Version : help from comcast cable internet users

theraidenproject
03-10-2002, 04:22 PM
i'm about to get comcast cable for internet, and i was wondering whether it is better to rent their modem, buy their modem, or buy one from a store. Thanks a lot.

Mango
03-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Dude!! I can help you with this specific question. Listen, when you call comcast or go to set up the cable modem, DO NOT get the RCA one!!!!!!! The thing is a peice of junk. I had the RCA one for about 5 months, then it just broke. Stopped working, but my performance was getting worse and worse. Turned out Comcast had sent me a free kit when I signed up, but I had already bought the RCA kit from Radio Shack. Well, comcast sent me a Toshiba cable modem. Needless to say, the Toshiba one ROCKS! The lights on the front of the RCA tell you nothing really, other than that there is a cable connected and weather its communicating or not. The Toshiba will tell you dianostic stuff and weather there is an upstream RF connection detected, etc. The Toshiba is SO much better. So, no matter weather you rent or buy or get the modem for free, make sure its NOT the RCA! haha.

theraidenproject
03-10-2002, 08:28 PM
spraying mango, thanks a lot. thats a big help. ill call them make sure they give me the Toshiba. they have an upload limit, right?

Mango
03-10-2002, 09:15 PM
yeah something like 150kbps upstream, but downstream I average about 650kpbs on a bad day, im usually at about 780 or higher. :D

RT pRo AuToMaG
03-12-2002, 09:05 PM
get DSL it's faster and more secure

theraidenproject
03-12-2002, 10:31 PM
a.) i'd bet $1000 that it isnt availible in my area
b.) i thought cable was faster