PDA

View Full Version : Bought me some new barrels

mag_pbg
03-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Today, I bought a Dye Excel and a Lapco Big Shot. Has anyone had any experence with them, my dad has a excel on his m98 and it works pretty good. I get them on Wed. I'll give you some details on them then.

slayer
03-10-2002, 07:01 PM
big shot = superb. Very simply, I have yet to use a better barrel(I own 5 myself). I prefer the aluminum because the stainless, although ultra durable is very heavy(due to the nature of the material) The length is just about optimum as far as efficiency goes. Yeah...you can buy dye, sp, or whatever else. My suggestion, save your money because you shouldn't need another barrel as long as the barrel to paint match is good. I am not a freak advocate but ask those guys and they will tell you stories of paint swelling .002+ during the course of the day and they were thanking their lucky stars that they had the freak. If that is your thing then maybe that is the best. I just shoot pmi advantage through the bigshot and my emag works very well.

DOWNWITHANGELS
03-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah tell us how they worked for ya. The Freak has been the best I have ever shot.

Miscue
03-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Pretty much all barrels nowadays are so good that there is no difference between them. What varies is efficiency/sound. More porting = less efficient/quiet. Less porting = more efficient/louder.

Things to look at are: what the barrel looks like (does it make you happy), price, length, bore, porting, weight, durability... maybe some other minor things...

Bore size/paint barrel match gives you better accuracy not because of the barrel's ability to direct the ball... but because it can keep the velocity more consistent.

~WarpedRT~
03-10-2002, 09:04 PM
The Bigshot is pretty good, although it sits out alot since I got my DYE SS. All in all it was fairly good, shot better than my friends Boomstick, but then again, you can't convince any cocker owner that all barrels are pretty much the same if the paint matches the bore size of the barrel. I did remeber that I had alot more breaks with the Bigshot though, and you couldn't shoot through a break if your life depended on it. I don't know about the Excel though, somone told me a while back that they sucked. Go figure.

rebel_bob
03-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Your gonna love you Bigshot I also have one with many other barrels (6 of them) and i use my Bigshot the most its efficent and shoots very well.

You would only "Need" a Freak kit if you were to either travel around and play paintball is differant area's that use differant paint, or you use very many differant types of paint.

slayer
03-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT~
The Bigshot is pretty good, although it sits out alot since I got my DYE SS.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I also own a dye 10 inch ss and don't use it, but I bought it for 40 new so i don't much mind keeping it as a back up.