PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Banned

kenshinkandon
03-11-2002, 01:54 PM
No this is not just another repeat to the Sticky posted earlier. Being in college I have access to several databases online and occasionally search around on different topics and today I decided to lookup paintball and I came up with this New York Times Artical For March 11 and thought that you all would like to read it. If anyone wants to know where I got it from it's from a databse called lexis nexis I think you have to pay to access the site But I do not because of my college account. If I find anymore articals that are of interest I will post them here.

Here it is

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company
The New York Times

March 11, 2002, Monday, Late Edition - Final

SECTION: Section B; Page 6; Column 1; Metropolitan Desk

LENGTH: 841 words

HEADLINE: Milford Journal;
Drop the Gun (or Whatever): Paintball Is Banned

BYLINE: By PAUL ZIELBAUER

DATELINE: MILFORD, Conn., March 8

BODY:
This city, like many other cities and towns in Connecticut, likes to keep things nice and quiet. Respectful. Decent. No surprises, no problems. I'm O.K., you're O.K.

Which is why paintball, the war game in which players armed with Terminator-like guns blast one another with gumball-size pellets filled with fluorescent goo, is not exactly what the Board of Aldermen here considered good, clean fun. Or good P.R. Last Monday, reacting to a handful of complaints from residents, the board voted 14-1 to ban paintball games on city property, effectively putting the sport out of business locally and putting Milford on the front line of paintball legislation nationwide.

The city attorney, Marilyn Lipton, said she believed Milford was the first municipality in the country to ban the sport on public land. For paintball players around the state, it just figures.

"In terms of paintball, Connecticut is the worst place in the world," said David Lewis, who works at Eastern Paintball, a store in Branford dedicated to paintball accessories.

His is not a wayward opinion; for people fond of paintball -- a kind of capture-the-flag team game played in the woods, mostly by boys or men in Army-surplus camouflage and protective masks who shoot bursting pellets at 280 feet per second -- playing in densely populated western Connecticut is like crossing Interstate 95 on foot. Not entirely popular.

Mayor James L. Richetelli Jr., a Republican who supports the board's vote, said paintball was fun -- he even played years ago, before he married -- but incompatible with Milford's park system. In 28-acre Eisenhower Park, he said, pedestrians on hiking trails have encountered paintball players shooting or being shot from somewhere in the woods.

Other residents have called the police to report "people in the park with guns," he said.

"It's just not a good mix," Mayor Richetelli said. Especially given the terrorist attacks last year, he added, "In this day and age, reports of people in the woods with guns is just not a good idea."

Joe Mulvihill Jr., the co-owner of Splatter Zone, a family-run paintball store in Milford, said city officials were overreacting.

"It's going to hurt business," he said today. "People are not going to let their kids play as much." Besides, he said, Eisenhower Park has plenty of secluded woods. The "weapons," made of colorful aluminum stocks and fitted with a tank of pressurized gas, don't look anything like real guns. Paintball, invented in New Hampshire 20 years ago by timber company workers marking trees, is a perfectly safe and fun game, he said, if a tad intense.

What's more, contrary to what Ms. Lipton, the city attorney, has said publicly, paintball pellets are made of biodegradable vegetable oil, not lead, latex or anything else environmentally unfriendly.

Alderman Nick Veccharelli Jr., one of five Democrats on Milford's 15-member board and the only one to vote against the paintball ban, said he was "ashamed" that his city is now known as the first in America to ban the sport.

"Sometimes I wonder why we have to come up with all these laws that regulate our citizens," he said. "Anything that's fun gets a big circle with line through it."

On the same night as the vote to ban paintball, the board narrowly defeated a proposal to ban the use of all-terrain vehicles on city property. In February, the aldermen also voted to restrict wet-jets -- personal watercraft -- from exceeding six miles per hour on Milford's Gulf Pond.

And about 10 years ago, the board imposed a curfew on Gulf Beach after 10 p.m. -- to get rid of young troublemakers, Mr. Veccharelli said, and never fulfilled its promise to consider rescinding the ban once the beach was safe again.

"It was a nice place to pull off the road to watch the water," he said. "Why did we have to lose that?

"We still live in what I'd like to believe is a small-town community," he went on. "And it seems like we're on a fast pace to urbanize our way of thinking, where you can't do anything at all."

Instead of banning paintball, Mr. Veccharelli said, a more reasonable approach would have required paintball players to wear bright uniforms, use fluorescent orange guns that don't look threatening, and post little metal signs, like those that janitors use to keep people off wet floors, along the perimeter of paintball games to avoid startling the public.

Mr. Mulvihill of Splatter Zone said Milford was home to 200 to 300 dedicated paintball players, ranging in age from 10 to 60. Gearing up to play is not cheap. The guns at Splatter Zone (which aren't called guns, but markers, because "we're trying to be more politically correct," one employee said) range from $200 to $1,000, not including the paintball hopper that feeds the gun or the nitrogen tanks that power it.

Appearances aside, paintball fans say, it is all quite harmless.

"Years ago, kids used to go out with pellet guns and shoot wild animals," Mr. Veccharelli said. "How devastating was that?"
http://www.nytimes.com

GRAPHIC: Photo: Joe Mulvihill Jr., a co-owner of a paintball store in Milford, Conn., with a marker (some would say gun) used in the game. Another store owner has called Connecticut "the worst place in the world" for paintball. (Richard L. Harbus for The New York Times)

LOAD-DATE: March 11, 2002

Hexis
03-11-2002, 02:41 PM
While I don't support the ban, that was a nice article. Looked at both sides of the issue and was fair to both.

I'm not sure I'm worried about a ban of paintball on public park land. You can bring up the proverbial slippery slope all you want. However, playing in an area that pedestrians may be moving through without proper eye protection is an all around bad idea.

slayer
03-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Whats next? A bill to ban paintball so the terrorists can't hurt us :rolleyes: :confused:

Between connecticut and those politicians in baltimore I don't know whats next.

I am not going into gun control issues but let me say this: I believe that america is safer because citizens can lawfully bear arms. A big shovel is more dangerous than a paintball gun. It should be a non-issue, because I gurantee you that I can kill you easier with a long handled spade than I can with a paintball gun(that may be because I have bad aim). And I don't think they are going to ban shovels anytime soon.

kickass68mag
03-11-2002, 03:59 PM
it was a nice artical but i do think that if they banned paintball where i lived i would move, but that is just me

Kajo
03-11-2002, 04:00 PM
It did sound like the mayor had some valid points. Paintball is dangerous when the rules aren't followed, and obviously the rules weren't followed there. If someone was ambitious enough, maybe they could proposition the mayor to amend the band if strict rules were followed. All fields on public land must have trained refs, neting, chrono's ect. Public land is however public land, you can't blame the people for voting what they felt.

How much paintball is actually played on public land anyway? I would like to see more parks and stuff for paintball on public land, but in order to do that strict guidlines will need to be drawn up. It would also be nice to get more paintball players involved in local affairs and government, or visa versa.

Kajo out-

skipdogg
03-11-2002, 04:05 PM
what i got out of that article was people are going to parks and just playing amongst the public. That should be banned. Obviosly you can't play paintball wherever you want. It didnt say anything about stores closing, or paintball fields being shut down. Only that you can't play in public. No duh. i can't go downtown and play urban warfare in the streets. Some of this is common sense.

Hasty8
03-11-2002, 06:29 PM
First off let me say that as a ?mature and responsible 28 year old member of society" what this town's board did [Milford] totally outrages me.

Yes, playing on public land where there are pedestrians and the like without protective gear is just plain dumb and those kids should of been arrested.

Yes, banning the sport on open public land is also smart. Save the town from one heck of a lawsuit.

What really rubs my rhubarb is that the town board simply removed the kids ability toplay and just stopped there. It drives me sick that most "grown ups" just take things away from kids and hardly never try to reach a compromise.

The same holds true with skateboarding, BMX and freestyle biking and rollerblading, all things I have done in the past and all things I have actually been arrested for.

I actually had a criminal record at one time for skateboarding. What a piece of crap. I was charged with Aggravated Criminal Disobidience (spelled that one wrong).

My point is this. Instead of simply taking away the kids right to play the game how about setting some area of the city aside for a "youth park" type of setting. Something well lit with skate parks, arcades, paintball fields and a few other activities.

This keeps kids off the streets and from doing stupid stuff. Parents know that police will be there so they might be more likely to let the kids go there then not and the city gets a pretty decent for of revenue.

But of course this will never happen. Just look at the how negligent the writer was of the article at the start of this thread.

Even after being told that they are called markers because we are trying to be a bit more "PC" he goes and call it a gun in the very same sentence.

Thanks a lot pal.

the123
03-11-2002, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure about other townships or cities, but in my town it is illegal to discharge an air-powered projectile within city limits. This is a perfectly sensible law, and one that I think that Milford, CN should have put in place rather than "banning paintball". This law would of course include paintball obviously, but doesn't point the finger directly at paintball.
Things like this put paintball in a bad light for the parents of our future newbies. I just hope that other towns don't point the finger.

frgood
03-11-2002, 09:32 PM
It's funny. I was considering packing my stuff and moveing back to CT to open a field. Western MA and Northern CT need a good PB field. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. My second choice was Tampa FL.
The irony in this world cracks me up.

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. But after 15 years of banging my head against IS types perhaps this will be refreshing.

Mantis
03-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Jeez, from reading these bans and propsed bans, I'm getting the picture that New England is filled with crotchety old people, hobbling around on their canes, constantly waving their fist at anyone under 20, yelling "ya dern whippersnapper!"
I thought that was Florida... :)

kenshinkandon
03-12-2002, 06:05 AM
Jeez, from reading these bans and propsed bans, I'm getting the picture that New England is filled with crotchety old people, hobbling around on their canes, constantly waving their fist at anyone under 20, yelling "ya dern whippersnapper!"

Actually they live in New England for most thier lives then they migrate to Florida after a certain age or when they get fed up with cold winters.:)

Hasty8
03-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by the123
I'm not sure about other townships or cities, but in my town it is illegal to discharge an air-powered projectile within city limits. This is a perfectly sensible law, and one that I think that Milford, CN should have put in place rather than "banning paintball". This law would of course include paintball obviously, but doesn't point the finger directly at paintball.
Things like this put paintball in a bad light for the parents of our future newbies. I just hope that other towns don't point the finger.

the123 - if Milford had inacted this law then the use of paintball guns anywhere in town wouldbe illegal. This would in effect close down the local fields and destroy the entire sport within Milford.

On another note, I think my initial reaction to this article was a tad to knee-jerk. I think that the local field owners are totally misunderstanding this new law and the oppotrunities it presents for them.

Essentially, the town is telling people thatthey can only play at a recognized paintball field. Now tell me, what field owner wouldn't love a town law like that? All the town has said is that you cannot play renegade paintball in a public park.

I wholly support that idea. In fact, I think renegade paintball should be just about illegalized all together.

Can any renegade players here guarantee that a chrono is always used?

Now, I don't mean that if you own a large tract of land, far from the routes of normal pedestrian and vehicular traffic that you can't play, if you don't mind opening yourself up to that type of liability litigation.

But Milford is on the right track here and now, after thinking about it over night I support that new law.

Here is the quote from the article; "the board voted 14-1 to ban paintball games on city property, effectively putting the sport out of business locally and putting Milford on the front line of paintball legislation nationwide."

No where does it say that paintball on private property is illegal and unless Milford has some funky laws regarding private land then it should be perfectly okay for a field onwer on his own, or leased or rented, private land to run a paintball field.

Remember folks. The press wants to make money and they do that by sensationalizing stuff. Hence the writer of this article, who has probably never even played the game mind you, term the markers as "Terminator-type guns" and the sport as a "war-game".

Forget it. This guys a loser. And as for the comment about putting "Milford on the front line of paintball legislation nationwide" I would tend to disbelieve that. Every one knows that CT is one of the least tolerant states in the Union.

kenshinkandon
03-12-2002, 08:37 AM
I agree with hasty8 on this it was not my intent to get everyone excited about banning paintball. But to alarm the people that do play in Milford that playing on public land is not an acceptable thing to do, this is how people will react to paintball and how the legislation in the United States is going progress and how people will view Paintball. Paintball will continue be regulated if people continue to play this way.

I think alot of laws similar to this one will be passed through out the U.S. until we as players organize and unite to stand up for what we believe in by supporting alot of the major organizations that want to protect paintball and its player rights. Unfortunalty until that happens I'm sure we will see more laws like this one being passed.

soilent green
03-12-2002, 09:15 AM
I live less than an hour away and let me tell you the article was not a two sided as it seemed the area where people played was deep in the more succluded parts of the park and this is a more recent article because up intill recently and when the proposal was accepted many politicians were claiming that paintballs were mmade of lead and latex paint and were dangerous to the public and enviroment this was just terrible for the image of paintball because the news covered it and it got some really bad coverage and they also up untill recently no one except the paintball people would admit that paintballs were made of common cooking ingrediants so these wealthy snobs gave us a bad name in the area. Luckily I live in a more liberal town and I haven't been banned from playing on public property. however Rob Simonds a congressman was walking through the woods at my freinds house were we play once and a while and told us we weren't alowed to play their because it was private we informed him we had permission luckily we were responsible and stopped the game when he came over we told him he was trespassing and he tried to tell us his relative owned the land so my freind went to the town hall and found out the boundries we don't even play thier anymore just cause of him hasseling us and it turned out not all the land we played on was my freinds so now we only play where we now the owner and talked to them perssonaly it is a good move for all of you to remember

Hasty8
03-12-2002, 09:04 PM
For those who do not know there is currently a bill introduced into the Baltimore City Council to ban paintball guns in the city limits.

Check for the thread at the top of the main forum. This is everyones chance to actually do soemthing so lets do it but be civil and smart.