PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think All Barrels Should Have The Same Threads?

PAINTBALLA01
03-12-2002, 10:00 PM
There are many different threads for barrels. wouldn't it be so easy and cheaper to have just 1 main/general thread to fit all guns?

FiTiRPiLiT
03-12-2002, 10:05 PM
as long as they were automag barrels, sure! i prefer the twist and lock over the threaded personally, quicker to take off and clean.

Predater
03-12-2002, 10:55 PM
thats a HELL NO!!! unless they all have the AGD twist lock. i love my mag and rt twist lock. fast and easy. cant beat it.

steveg
03-13-2002, 06:04 AM
AGD simply supplies each new mag with a hardened stainless
breach section that has the twistlock groove on the outside and
threaded for the barrel

SlipknotX556
03-13-2002, 07:03 AM
i think they should have all the same threads because then we wont have to pay extra for the mag barrels, cuz with the dye boomsticks and the freak barrel system you have to pay an extra 10 dollars to have the mag barrel all because of the hole that needs to go in to fit the mag.

FiTiRPiLiT
03-13-2002, 08:27 AM
small price to pay for a better design IMO.

mykroft
03-13-2002, 09:24 AM
We're moving that way already, with Autockocker barrels as the de facto standard, except for low-end guns, which tend to Spyder barrels. Most guns with unusual threading systems are either made by companies who's main business is barrels and who want to sell more barrels (SP), or have a thread pattern that that company has been using since the beginning of time (AGD, ICD, ACI F4), The Angel is the exception of course(Silly WDP).

I have no problems with this, makes my life easier, as I currently own upwards of 10 barrels in three different patterns (6 Mag, 2 Cocker, 2 Spyder)

TheTramp
03-13-2002, 09:30 AM
I'd like to see a single barrel thread.

FiTiRPiLiT
03-13-2002, 09:41 AM
with new barrel systems like the freak, though, most people won't need 10 barrels. if length is your primary concern, you could always get 10"-18" fronts for whatever situation/position you need it for. i guess if you own more than one gun, though, it would be nice!

soilent green
03-13-2002, 10:06 AM
I hate cocker threads they need a coarser thread gage and an O ring

MikeCouves
03-13-2002, 03:42 PM
Well I love twist lock! It's my favorite out there at the moment. Cockers take forever to unscrew! Mag threading for life!

paintballrulzs
03-13-2002, 03:44 PM
I think all barrels should be threaded the same....all paint the same bore...and all barrels the same bore as well

mac2k4
03-13-2002, 04:16 PM
it needs to stay the way it is, but it would be help ful to some, like the autococker threads are now being used on many guns(cockers, matrix, e-matrix, defiant, intimidator, and hell even the new agd e-mags

Eagle
03-13-2002, 05:29 PM
My vote would be for AGD threads or Tippmann 98 threads. The AGD design minimizes paint in the gun, keeping much of it in the barrel. The Tippmann 98 is quick and easy to install and remove.

nutz
03-13-2002, 06:07 PM
one type of thread would be very very nice....

for all of u that say mag threads are 10 bucks more, theres always a site u can find that will get you around the $10

ThePatriot
03-13-2002, 11:33 PM
All threads can be exactly the same, no problem....as long as they are all Automag Threading :) :D ;) :D :)

Panzerr
03-14-2002, 12:31 PM
I say yes, manufacturers say no. Different threads is, in part, a marketing scam.

cooltot
03-14-2002, 12:48 PM
That probably in most respect is true. I mean they got to make money some how right? Well make barrels for all different demands and you can even sell them at a higher price than what you would selling barrels with all the same threading. Supply and Demand.

TheTramp
03-14-2002, 12:48 PM
I like the idea of twist locks for guns that don't have a removable bolt. When you can just pull the bolt out the back of the gun and pull a squedgie all the way through there's no point in removing the barrel anyway.

korrupt
03-15-2002, 04:34 PM
as long as its the twist and lock (which it can't be because mags are the only gun to have a barrel act as a chamber) they should all be the same!!! Twist and Lock is the easist to take off on the field and clean in a tight bunker!

AdrenalineMag
03-15-2002, 06:03 PM
all guns & barrels should be stingray thead, there i said it, heh heh heh

oldsoldier
04-17-2002, 07:30 PM
if they r twistlock. I have seen angel guys constantly unscrewing and screwing their barrels back in...takes too much time!

Creative Mayhem
04-17-2002, 08:35 PM
The threads should be the same, however if they were to stay mag "threads" the cost would have to come down for them. I pay upwards of $10-15 more for a mag barrel than any other type. Just my .02

Creative Mayhem

RT pRo AuToMaG
04-17-2002, 09:23 PM
threads are like the gun's signatue. and what about ppl with older guns?

Croix71
04-17-2002, 09:25 PM
I'd like to see 1 universal barrel thread. :D

thei3ug
04-17-2002, 09:43 PM
Impossible: let me tell you why...

1) some guns are designed around operation and looks, and believe it or not some barrels just wont fit in certain guns. Each thread has a different diameter, as well as OD of the walls around the threading.

2) People each have a different Idea of what is better. I believe blazer barrels are perfect. No threads to marr, slips in and out, can be TOURNAMENT LOCKED (no barrel cheating) where you can not pull it out no matter what, and comes out with a 1/4 turn of the allen wrench. Mag barrels are also tourny proof. But some people think that certain threads hold better than others, or that they're more versatile. That quick unscrewing is important, or that fine threads are...

3) you would immediately have to retrofit existing designs, or plain scrap them when parts become unavailable. This would be devastating for people like me, who have oddball guns to begin with. You know how hard it is to find a Phoenix or mega-z barrel?

4) barrel manufactures are linked to gun manufacturers, and sometimes one in the same. It's all about making money. You can't sell a barrel if someone has one they can already use. Hence the whole impulse "fiasco." How are you gunna tell someone they can't make money? If all else fails, buy a lapco sizer.

Give it up, it'll never happen.

FutureMagOwner
04-18-2002, 09:09 AM
i personally would like to have a standard thread but not a cocker thread its a pain in the *** to unscrew my freak outta the gun for anything and takes forever!(stupid top end screws out when i try to get the back out too)

my favorite threads would have to be model 98 they are short to get out(nothing is shorter than the automags though) and has an oring.

them ag threading is good but people are never gunna use that for a standard

and brass eagle guns all have standardized barrels(you cant take em off unless if its rainmaker)

Cristobal
04-18-2002, 09:40 AM
I've heard that one of the supposed advantages of autococker barrels is that that with all the threads the barrel is very secure when firing, hence improving accuracy. But would an automag's twist lock be inherently any less secure, especially with the o-rings and added length inside marker body?

And yes, I would be a fan of more twist-lock or easy removal barrels... too many threads takes too long. The worst was when I bought my used Hornet Pump; not only lots of threads to take it off to squeegee, but the velocity adjuster is in the bolt and because it was used it didn't come with a rod to stick down the barrel. So every time I needed to adjust the velocity I had to unscrew the barrel, remove the pump handle and use an allen wrench. That got old in a hurry, let me tell you. Solution: made my own adjustment rod by cutting a hex head into a wooden dowel -- works like a charm.

pip_999
04-18-2002, 10:22 AM
its funny i remember the one time
i managed to
get my tank screwed in
get my barrel in
gas up the mag
put paitn in my hopper
put on my "headwear"
put on my mask

and meanwhile my friend who had his cocker was still screwing in his threads LOL
oh boy mags rule

i think i timed my buddy once i managed to get my barrel taken on and off 6 times before he had got his only in once

joeyjoe367
04-18-2002, 10:32 AM
yeah, only if they're mag barrels, although I will say I wouldn't mind m98 barrels. They've got a really good thread design too.

not as good as the 'mag barrel tho :)

Wickster
05-11-2003, 11:36 AM
It would be nice to have a standard, but it won't happen. I have 3 different semis with 3 different threadings. It would be nice to have all the barrels fit each gun.

FiTiRPiLiT
05-11-2003, 12:28 PM
OMG! way to revive a YEAR OLD THREAD!

FalconGuy016
05-11-2003, 12:37 PM
I sure would like to see this happen, even though I hate how long cocker threads are :) It would be nice to be able to use all my barrels

jayloo
05-11-2003, 12:43 PM
I agree it would be easier to find a peticular style and color of barrel. BUT....

If all barrels had the same thread then all manufactures woud HAVE to design a marker around that barrel. My emag fits my style of play and personality. I'll take twist lock over any cocker thread any day.

Fastkid
05-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Jayloo is right, and that hinders development

Personally... I like twistlock. The ball stays in the barrel the whole time, never actually enters the marker itself...

Grasshopper
05-11-2003, 06:37 PM
I get annoyed when I take my barrel off, and accidently point the gun down. Out comes 6+ balls, rolling onto the floor. I like how easy it is to get off, though. It won't ever happen, because certain barrels are designed to work for certain guns. Guns have different designs, wich make them work with a barrel type.

fire1811
05-12-2003, 07:31 AM
i wish they where all the same thread but the barrel
manufactures wont let that happen. imagine the impact only making one type of thread would have on there $$$$

PzYcO
05-12-2003, 11:26 AM
i say m98 are the best threads i have ever seen..