PDA

View Full Version : Paintball materials

ShooterJM
03-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Hey, I need to purchase some of the material used to make the gel shell of paintballs. Anyone know where I might do this? I've talked with a sales rep at perfect circle, but those are hard plastic and I need to reshape the paintball slightly. Any ideas?

Hasty8
03-13-2002, 09:43 AM
I called Nelson paintball and left a message for the palnt manager of the paintball division asking him how they do about making the chell for the paintball. Do they buy the chemical components and maufacture the sheel at the plant or do they buy blocks of the stuff and just melt it down at the plant?

I also asked where you could get a supply of the finished product. Do you have any idea how much you might need? Also, how do you plan on reshaping the stuff? There might be complication in the warming process. I would recommend you just try contact head of manufacturing for several different paintball companies and asking them for assistance.

Let me know some further info so if this guy calls me back I'll have some answers for him.

ShooterJM
03-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hasty8
Do they buy the chemical components and maufacture the sheel at the plant or do they buy blocks of the stuff and just melt it down at the plant?

Not really sure. I think it's stored as a dry powdered mixture, then mixed with something (water, gylcerin?) when ready to use.

I also asked where you could get a supply of the finished product. Do you have any idea how much you might need? Also, how do you plan on reshaping the stuff? There might be complication in the warming process.

Very little at first. Only enough to make a case or two of paint. Just need to do some live testing to see if my calculations are correct or if I'm missing something. I'd say only 1 or 2 lbs. I've got a lab that will allow extremely specific and slow thermal changes (thermal cycling chamber). Currently I have a plaster mold, but have a machinest whose ready to make an aluminum mold for me.

I would recommend you just try contact head of manufacturing for several different paintball companies and asking them for assistance.

Let me know some further info so if this guy calls me back I'll have some answers for him.

Yeah, I don't really want to answer a lot of specific questions at this point. Still researching patent availability etc. I appreciate all the help man, won't forget it if this crap works.