PDA

View Full Version : Question about barrels

SlipknotX556
03-13-2002, 07:55 PM
i need to know which size freak tip is the best for speedball and airball fields. cuz my 12in smart parts progressive is fine for the time beging but i wanna go higher in quality. so what size tip is the best?? so what im trying to say is what size barrel makes the ball go the furthest on a field??

Thanks

davej946
03-13-2002, 07:59 PM
so what im trying to say is what size barrel makes the ball go the furthest on a field??
300fps from a 10" or 300fps from an 18" will go equal distances. This has been discussed numerous times.

Get a barrel length that yuo are comfortable with. I think speedball is typically played with a shorter barrel to allow tighter hiding behind objects.

Later ~

FooTemps
03-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Same distance for the sizes. The difference is efficiency and sound. If you have an 18" barrel with porting throughout it would be as efficient as a 9" barrel without. The long barrel would be a lot quieter though...

nutz
03-13-2002, 08:57 PM
get a 12" tip... quiet and short

rx2
03-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Changing the length will have no real effect on distance. However, I believe that Tom said that due to expansion of the air behind the ball as it travels down the barrel, maximum efficiency is achieved with an effective barrel length of between eight and ten inches. By effective length, it is meant the portion of the barrel that remains un-ported. Just something to keep in mind.

SlipknotX556
03-13-2002, 09:35 PM
yhea but guys im the backman on my team so what would be best size for that?

nutz
03-13-2002, 10:38 PM
its really personal preferance... i guess maybe u should go with 14" because it would be nice and quiet... other wise u wont really see a change in distance or accuracy... maybe efficientcy will change slightly

once again it comes down to personal preferance :D

rx2
03-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Again, adding length will only allow the ball to go further by as much as the barrel is longer. The only factors that really influence distance are deformation, and spin on the ball. Before ported barrels, air exiting beind the ball also affected these, but that is no longer an issue. Changing length will not really affect these. Any barrel that fits the paint well, and has a uniform ID, will generally be just as accurate and have as much distance as the other lengths when used on the same marker. I would say that the 14 would probably be good, as it is quiet and effecient.

a_malfunction
03-14-2002, 07:47 PM
The tip length doesnt matter. The ball shouldnt even touche the tip of the freak.... The only reason its there is to hold in the insert and to put some pretty porting into the barrel. The barrel itself, the part that contacts the ball, is only as long as the back, maybe 4-6 inches.

slayer
03-14-2002, 10:36 PM
If you play on a sup air field you might want to get a longer tip so you can push the bunker out of the way with your barrel. I use short barrels, because the gun is tight and maneuverable, but then again I prefer to be in the middle of everything.