PDA

View Full Version : Who is better, the marker or the player

Smiles2480
03-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Hey I know that everyone like to say that their marker is so great and that isnt it. The only thing the marker can do is fire and how efficent it is with the barrel and paintball size. The abilties of the player is what makes the marker what it is. I have seen turnamates won with Spyders and tipmans. It is all in how you play the marker is just the tool of how you do it. All a marker is to most people is a status symbol. It not wht you ise to play the game, it is how you played it to the points. That is how you win.

FooTemps
03-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Yesh! That's so right! Someone could even win a game using a paintbrush!

Snooky
03-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Very well put and i completely agree with this. People with skill will conquer people with better equipment and no skill. I see it all the time at the field.

ArthurDent
03-13-2002, 11:19 PM
lol foo hahahah you just made me remember this guy who strapped a paintbrush on his gun like a bayonet and I laughed so hard when a guy came off the field with a fat stripe on his back ......

FooTemps
03-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ArthurDent
lol foo hahahah you just made me remember this guy who strapped a paintbrush on his gun like a bayonet and I laughed so hard when a guy came off the field with a fat stripe on his back ......

LOL! THAT IS SOO COOL! I want to make my own paintball blade actually. It's gonna be a rod with a trigger frame... I want to install a 12 gram on it with a clip of 10 paintballs so when I pull the trigger it covers the brush in paint... Easy painting... lol...

edit: I know it's silly but I want to do it just for the heck of it...

ThePatriot
03-13-2002, 11:32 PM
I think the marker only matters, if there is a DRASTIC difference. For example, on a speedball field, an electro vs a pump, we all know whos going to win. An electro vs a spyder isnt THAT bad, but from mid level guns up, it really doesnt matter. Mags and cockers i consider the base level for tournaments now(i mean like stock cockers, not all souped up ones)

clanger
03-13-2002, 11:47 PM
I think this argument can go either way. I'm a very good front man player with the mag, so the marker doesn't matter as long as I can get up in close. However, when you want to play long ball or speed ball, I think the marker makes the player. Look at how many fat people(not to be offensive) there are that play tournaments. So many at the NPPL LA OPEN saturday. They barely run and they are panting for air, in this case its mostly the marker that makes them good. And it really depends on how much money you have to blow on paint a game. Some people will blow 600 rounds just to get 1 person out without using strategy. Ohwell!

Chris

LaW
03-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Well when your playing on a team that has an unlimited budget to win then you can sling that much paint. That's where some teams fall short because they can't afford to sling the ammount of paint some of these other teams are slinging. It's mainly the player, i've always stood by 90 percent player 5 percent marker 5 percent balls.... lets look at a 5man indoor i played recently, our team had 4 tracer pumps and like a ptextreme. We entered low tech for the fun of it. We also had to play every team in the high tech division... in a couple games we got clsoe to eliminating the opposition (4 out of 5 players tagged) and some of these guys wheeling angels and sfl's couldn't believe it :) so fun, so fun... btw we got 1st place low tech baby !!!!!!!!

MONEY SHOT!!!!

legion
03-13-2002, 11:56 PM
LaW, we rocked their world with those pumps! Heck yah! Shoutz to the Indoor World Champions!

Legion

wimag
03-13-2002, 11:59 PM
yeah law and how many teams were in low tech :)(2) and they were a bunch of kids with rental MAGS.
Yes yes you guys did do good against V-3 but we wailed on ya!! after that tournie i am gonna ask the guys i play with to go to pumps next year just to have some more fun at it. Great time for all

wimag
03-14-2002, 12:03 AM
one thing i thought was very cool though was when the game i was watching started all i heard was bip bip bip and seen a few guys flying up to midfield. very very fast breaks on the starts

tysonmachado
03-14-2002, 12:48 AM
Personally, my minimag is a LOT better than I am. I think my team would do better if I let it play without me...

SlipknotX556
03-14-2002, 06:25 AM
its the player not the marker. although it does help to have a reliable marker.

Panzerr
03-14-2002, 09:38 AM
The player, because without the player the marker will just lie there and look pretty like some girls I know.

Gup44
03-14-2002, 10:12 AM
<i>Orignally posted by panzerr</i>
<b>...without the player the marker will just lie there and look pretty like some girls I know.</b>
:p LOL funny Panzerr! [shakes head and wonders]

LaW
03-14-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by wimag
yeah law and how many teams were in low tech :)(2) and they were a bunch of kids with rental MAGS.
Yes yes you guys did do good against V-3 but we wailed on ya!! after that tournie i am gonna ask the guys i play with to go to pumps next year just to have some more fun at it. Great time for all

No the other lowtech team didn't have rental mags :) they had their own markers haha nah it was fun I'd say :) hehe shhh your letting out info that's supposed to be on the down low....

MONEY SHOT!!!!! 1st place 13th annual indoor WORLD champions!!!!!! ... low-tech

OldSchoolMag
03-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Where do you guys get those Trracer pumps?! I've been looking for one for a while, but all I can find are those new semi's! Thanks!

OSM

danEboy
03-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Yes and No... :)

A good player with a crummy marker is still a good player.

A good player with a good marker can be a great player.

A 12 year old with a brand new Angel who hides in the back and never shoots...( I think You get the idea.)

P.S. -- This is not a knock against all 12 year olds (Just some :p )

Dan

Hysperion
03-14-2002, 12:30 PM
law you guys stunk...you got beat by those kids with the crap guns :).....and ya you did get 4 of us out but we still won :) ....only reason I got out was because 1 minute was left and I just started running to get the flag right into the joker, got animal on the way though :)

slayer
03-14-2002, 12:52 PM
It is almost completely the player. IF the gun shoots straight, is relatively consistent, and is reliable then it doesn't matter much what type it is or how fast it shoots. A good player can hit what they are aiming at and expose as little of their body as possible doing it, they also make the moves that are going to advantage their team.

RTrampage
03-14-2002, 01:17 PM
I agree that is mainly the player, but alot of it is a mental thing. What I mean is if I went out there with like a stingray i would do alright but i wouldnt have as much confidence as if i went out there with my mag or just any other high end gun, because weather or not you admit it you put alot of confidence in your equipment.

$pam
03-14-2002, 03:49 PM
I think the gun is only as good as the player.

LaW
03-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Hysperion
law you guys stunk...you got beat by those kids with the crap guns :).....and ya you did get 4 of us out but we still won :) ....only reason I got out was because 1 minute was left and I just started running to get the flag right into the joker, got animal on the way though :)

They were toting better markers then we were man :)

animal
03-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by wimag
yeah law and how many teams were in low tech :)(2)

There you go, killing our chance at fame :) No one was sposed to know.

OSM: I got a bunch of them from some people i know that are selling their old field pump guns. PM me if you'd be interested in buying one from me. OR you can also get em on ebay... they're also the same marker as the ACI Maverick, which are a little more common on there. You think the marker is a hard find, try and find barrels, or better yet, the chameleon auto-trracer s/a conversion kit. Not many people can say they have one still :) I suppose one could argue that "wanting" one is the real issue.

wimag
03-14-2002, 04:52 PM
sorry bout that animal. :)
all i know is that speedball and hyperball do not even compare to the chaos that occurs when a game starts at that place. intense!!!

animal
03-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I was never at one of the indoor big games though. 160 people in one of those "rooms" would be really weird. From what I've been told about it, you gotta let the 12 people in front of you get marked before you can take a shot.

MajorDamage
03-14-2002, 05:18 PM
My Emag is better than me, but then again its better than everyone :)

ENDO!

FooTemps
03-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Well... If a gun can move, think, and fire by itself then it's better than you... try going one on one against any gun without a player... I garuntee you'll win... lol

the JoKeR
03-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Hysperion
and ya you did get 4 of us out but we still won

I would have had Gary (and the win) too, if I was using something larger than a 45 round hopper on my PTExtreme! Sometimes you have to stack the deck against yourself and prove you can stand the heat! Admit it: just about every team that played us underestimated us because of our guns.

Our agreed upon team goal before all the games was to not get maxed, which only happened once. Other than that, the low/no tech guns worked and in my opinion, prove the point of this thread by showing it's the player, not the gun.

In fact, Animal and I have gone 2 on 3 against what I would consider pretty average rec players using the Extreme and a pump and walked away with wins. Three years ago, we probably would have lost.

animal
03-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Three years ago paintball wasnt even a glint in my eye! you gotta remember I'm a "new veteran" with about a year of playing under my belt...

the JoKeR
03-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by animal
Three years ago paintball wasnt even a glint in my eye! you gotta remember I'm a "new veteran" with about a year of playing under my belt...

Yeah, but you play like you've been playing a year and a half!:D

In reality, you've probably played more in the last year than I have since I started. You're out what, 2-3 times per week? You're my hero!